Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

heres my baby. 03' zx636. i've been riding for only 2 years. this is my second bike my first was a 92' fzr600 :notworthy: i loved that thing. the 6 tree 6 is awesome too.

Edit: sorry for teh double post still figuring out this new interface.

post-2041-1173199292_thumb.jpg

Edited by FalconXtreme

heres my baby. 03' zx636. i've been riding for only 2 years. this is my second bike my first was a 92' fzr600 :notworthy: i loved that thing. the 6 tree 6 is awesome too.

Did anyone else click both pictures...only to find out they were the same shot? lol I did...

Nice helmet. I have the same one in red. Very comfortable, and the visor detach system is the best I've seen. I get compliments all the time, too.

lol yea sorry about that double post. but yea i really enjoyed that vr2 also. its now regulated to passenger/back up duty. a few months back i bought a shark rsi helmet. that thing is awesome id reccomend shark. the padding is awesome, visor is super clear stock, and has very low wind noise.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tertle

Hey all, need some advice.

I'm coming from dirtbikes and cruisers with limited experience in both. I decided I'm gonna get a bike for the summer to see how I like it. I use the clutch and shift fine but some local guys said I should still get a lil sissy bike to 'learn' on.

I'm not going to get a little ninja250 sooo.....I'm trying to decide between an SV650 with full fairing (picture1) or a Ninja ZX6R(picture2). If I decide to go for the supersport types I would also consider the usual, gixxer, r6, cbr but ninja is my first choice.

post-329-1172016989.jpg

2004_Kawasaki_Ninja_ZX6R_ZX636.jpg

note: not actual bikes pictured, just the ones I'd like to have :)

What do you guys think? Would I be able to pick up riding on a regular 600 pretty well or should I go with the more upright sv?

Thanks

Two of my buddies have the 636 (same color too). It's a great bike in my opinion, but I still love my gixxah. ;)

Personally, I'd just go with a used R6, GSXR, or 636. All of them are great bikes to start on. Just get it used and put some frame sliders on (two mistakes I made -- bought brand new and purchased frame sliders but never installed). Respect the throttle, ride like no one can see you, and you'll be fine (which I'm sure you already know).

Tertle

Two completely different approaches to motorcycling. The SV is a v-twin, so you'll have great torque and a power delivery that a lot of people prefer over the in-line fours; but you won't have the screaming acceleration of the Kaw. Plus, the Suzuki is a lot less common, especially with full bodywork like the one pictured, and with that Yosh can I bet it sounds nice. So, you can kinda figure I would lean more towards the Suzuki; but if you are going to ride ball's out than maybe the ZX-6R will be more your cup of tea.

If you already have riding experience, you shouldn't have any problem with either as long as you respect it and keep a healthy fear of the street. Get the one that allows you to go out and buy a decent helmet, leather jacket, gloves and boots as a minimum. Don't skimp on those items, as they might be what you depend on to save your life one day.

And remember to ride at your own pace. I ride with some guys that do a lot of track days and have refined skills, and I don't always keep up with them (old guy syndrome). But the key point is I know when I am pushing it too hard, and back off. Nothing kills the fun of riding more than a wreck!

Cheers! M2

Guest LtLoad

I'm on a Ninja 500 right now. I've taken the MSF course, do I have to take the Air Force equivalent as well to get it on base?

My next bike....

post-2926-1175868606_thumb.jpg

I'm on a Ninja 500 right now. I've taken the MSF course, do I have to take the Air Force equivalent as well to get it on base?

My next bike....

Depends on when you took the MSF course. Back in "the day," you only had to take it once but I think the rules have changed and now it is required every couple of years. But as it is taught for free on most bases, that isn't a problem.

But the USAF uses the MSF courses (either basic or experienced rider, it doesn't matter), so if you already have one and it is current, you have the exact same training as you would have gotten on base. And for anyone who hasn't taken the MSF courses, if you have ridden a motorcycle before than I suggest you go for the experienced rider course. The basic one is way too basic for most people who already know how to ride a bike.

Cheers! M2

Guest Semelo32

Glad to see so many bike riders out there. I am getting ready to PCS to Hurlburt in May and was just curious to see if there were any riders in the area. I'm looking to see if they have any riding clubs out there as well. I have a 2006 yamaha r-1.

Looks like I'll be buying an older zx6r streetfighter here this week sometime!

Tertle

Just be aware that in most cases streetfighter = pre-crashed sportbike. Check the frame, forks and wheel alignment closely. Also look for replaced cases on the engine, and any "bondo" work in places where people usually don't look, e.g. under the bike. If you aren't familiar with bikes, or just want a second opinion, try and find someone who knows bikes to go with you. It always helps to have a second opinion, especially someone who isn't buying the bike.

I know that seems like a lot, but if you are going to drop some dosh on a used bike, you might as well get your money's worth!

Cheers! M2

Guest Tertle
Tertle

Just be aware that in most cases streetfighter = pre-crashed sportbike. Check the frame, forks and wheel alignment closely. Also look for replaced cases on the engine, and any "bondo" work in places where people usually don't look, e.g. under the bike. If you aren't familiar with bikes, or just want a second opinion, try and find someone who knows bikes to go with you. It always helps to have a second opinion, especially someone who isn't buying the bike.

I know that seems like a lot, but if you are going to drop some dosh on a used bike, you might as well get your money's worth!

Cheers! M2

Yeah I'm bringin a buddy of mine to check it out with me. I'm also going to check out a 99 sv650 today.

Which one would you chose? 98zx6r streetfighter or 99sv650? Both in fine working order.

Tough call, it is all a matter of which engine you prefer, a V-twin or an inline four? Personally, although I ride an inline four mostly, I love the torque of V-configured engine (I also have a V4 ST1100). But as I have stated, I would be wary of a streetfighter, as most are created as a result of a sportbike being wrecked...

Cheers! M2

Seconding the fact that some "streetfighters" are wrecked bikes with the fairings taken off. But sometimes they're not. Anyway back to the question at hand --

I'm coming from dirtbikes and cruisers with limited experience in both. I decided I'm gonna get a bike for the summer to see how I like it. I use the clutch and shift fine but some local guys said I should still get a lil sissy bike to 'learn' on.

I'll be perfectly honest with you. Since you obviously don't have that much experience with riding motorcycles, one of two things are going to happen to you.

1) You'll wreck the bike, get scared, sell it and never ride again. Hopefully you won't get injured, though.

2) You'll somehow manage to survive for more than 3 months, and you'll be a horrible rider because you're too afraid of its power. You'll never learn how to ride it properly, nor push the bike to its true capabilities because you lack the experience.

In short, you'll be a typical squid.

Streetbikes behave completely different than dirtbikes, and cruisers don't have anywhere near the power of an inline-four race replica sportbike like the ZX-6R. The thing accelerates 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. Understand that means that you'd be riding around, inadvertently twist the throttle, and go from 30 to 75 before you even realize what happened.

I'll tell you what I, and the people I talk to about riding, always say: buy a cheap, used standard bike like a GS500E, Ninja 250, or Ninja 500. Yes, it's "just" a 250, but they're incredibly inexpensive, and you can sell them for as much, if not more, than what you bought them for 6 months later. To put it in terms you may understand, imagine if some guy with 25 hours in a Cessna came up to you and asked you if it was a good idea to solo a T-38. Except the roles are reversed.

Or ignore what I'm saying and get the sportbike. It's your life.

I ride an '04 Honda 919. It's a nekkid sportbike based on a fuel injected version of the cbr 900rr motor. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take a few. Not many good locations in OK to ride, which is kinda frustrating...if anyone else here is stuck in OK and wants to go for a group ride, send me a PM...

Edited by Bull

Guest Tertle

I guess I should have said by limited experience I meant a couple of summers when I was younger. I've had a couple weeks on 600+cc dirtbikes more recently, I've just never ridden a supersport before. I guess I also don't see the connection between a lil ninja250 and a 600cc supersport, they don't seem like they would behave any closer to each other than a dirtbike and a supersport would.

Edited by Tertle

I guess I should have said by limited experience I meant a couple of summers when I was younger. I've had a couple weeks on 600+cc dirtbikes more recently, I've just never ridden a supersport before. I guess I also don't see the connection between a lil ninja250 and a 600cc supersport, they don't seem like they would behave any closer to each other than a dirtbike and a supersport would.

Well, the main difference is that you're on pavement, not dirt. Also, the bikes are built very differently. In the dirt, you don't really have to worry about high speed cornering, emergency moves in traffic, people pulling out in front of you, etc, etc. The weight, suspension, seat height, and tires are also very different. Also, if you gun the throttle on a Ninja 250, it won't launch you into outer space like a 600cc supersport would. If a Ninja 250 seems too small, then go for a Ninja 500 or a Suzuki GS500. I'm just saying -- get a few months under your belt before you make the leap to a supersport.

Once you're able to master a smaller displacement parallel twin bike, you'll be able to corner, do panic breaking, and whatever. Then, when you move up to a 600cc supersport with the skill and confidence to push it to its limits safely and skillfully.

I gotta disagree, I made the jump from dirt bikes to a 700cc street bike without problem. I think you will tire of the smaller twin quicker, and if you keep a healthy respect for the bike and remember that everybody is trying to kill you, you shoudl survive on the street. But as I said, get proper gear and I don't just mean a helmet. Hell, I don't even recommend the lighter mesh jackets that are so popular. Get leather with body armor, and if you can't stand the heat then don't ride. And if you ride seriously, jeans and sneakers don't cut it. Get real motorcycle boots and leathers, and don't skimp on gloves as the first thing that usually hits the ground are your hands (natural habit of trying to break your fall).

Personally, I would go for the SV650, especially with the aftermarket pipes. V-twin sportbikes have more "soul" (e.g. Ducatis and Honda RC51), but my litre-class inline four kicks ass. I am amazed at how much torque it has, especially compared to the inline fours I have ridden in the past. But it is still shy of what a V-configured engine will put out.

Cheers! M2

My first bike was a 400 Hondamatic but then I had about a 4 yr break and then started with a 600 sportbike then went to the 12R and now the 14. I had no problem with a 600 and don't think most will at our maturity levels. Now give it to a 16 year old kid who's never ridden before then maybe so. That's just my opinion.