Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

On a side note...anyone crash tested any of the military uniforms?? Just curious how the flight suit would hold up to a street-speed get off on the way to work...I'd imagine it's just about worthless but then again they're made of aramid so who knows...

I have, and oddly enough was give your login ID as a nickname after it happened. This was years ago when I was still enlisted (early 80s), and I had a slow-speed crash sliding out in a corner at around 25 MPH. Luckily I had gloves, boots and a helmet, which were a little scuffed but none the worse for wear; but my fatigues and field jacket were thrashed.

Don't count on today's uniforms being much better, but nomex at least has abrasion resistance properties plus high break strength and some tear resistance; so you're better off than wearing your basic ABUs. But real riding gear is much better...

I don't trust a flightsuit to give much abrasion resistance. I got a pair of ADV Willow pants but will be returning them. Fit is odd for SM riding, but they seemed nice. I am still looking for some overpants to throw over normal clothes for abrasion protection.

Edited by Standby

On a side note...anyone crash tested any of the military uniforms?? Just curious how the flight suit would hold up to a street-speed get off on the way to work...I'd imagine it's just about worthless but then again they're made of aramid so who knows...

One of our pilots has put several bikes down on the track and the road; according to him bags are no better than wearing shorts safety wise and can be even worse for abrasion since the nomex will be ground into your skin. BDUs/fatigues like M2 had probably have more resistance.

• 1 month later...

I did Rolling Thunder in 2007 (last part, Pentagon - Mall only), when I was TDY to Norfolk for JPME-II. Doing the whole ride is on my bucket list, but so far I haven't had the time to dedicate to it.

I remember this guy from '07, but I didn't know what an institution he was/has become.

:salut:, SSgt Chambers!

• 4 months later...

for those who are racers or follow racing

Marco Simoncelli was killed shortly after the start of the Sepang GP...low sided in front of Rossi and Edwards, both hit him square on, impact was so bad his helmet was torn off. I saw a young rider hit and killed on the racetrack when i was still racing, and this crash was far worse. RIP 58

220px-Marco_Simoncelli_2009_Valencia.jpg

Edited by yzl337

Holy shit, Simoncelli was a well-liked and rising star in the MotoGP world! At 24, his was a life cut short. What a sad loss for his family and the Gresini-Honda team!

RIP, #58!

Don't bother watching the race. Crash occurred in the first 2 laps and the remainder of the broadcast is just painful to sit through. Images of folks in the paddock, family members and friends utterly gutted over what had just happened.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally rode the Dragon today for the first time. I think I got one of the last good riding days for the foreseeable future. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and nice since the roads were mostly empty. Till next season now I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Altus man injured in motorcycle accident Sunday

9 days ago | 1845 views | 0 comments-icon.gif | 7 thumbs-up-icon.gif | email-this.gif | print_icon.gif

Lee James Adkins, 34, of Altus, was injured in a motorcycle accident Sunday afternoon 2 miles west of Altus on US Hwy 62.

According to reports from the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Adkins was driving west on a 2007 Harley Davidson motorcycle when he lost control and skidded approximately 360 feet before coming to rest in the north ditch. Adkins was thrown 53 feet from the cycle.

Adkins was medi-flighted to the OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City where he was admitted in serious condition with trunk internal, head and trunk external injuries.

There were no passengers, and Adkins was wearing a helmet.

The accident was investigated by Troopers Trinity Simmons, Jimmy Wallace, and Lt. George Dickerson and were assisted by Jackson County EMS, Martha Fire Department and the Altus Fire Department.

Read more: Altus Times - Altus man injured in motorcycle accident Sunday

I am actually 33! LOL

DNIF for at least 6 months, but thank god the sq wasn't having a memorial for me. List of injuries is extensive, just thankful that my AF family has stepped up in this time of need for me. Couldn't be any happier with my CC and fellow aviators. Thanks everyone for checking up on me. See you back at work in about a month or so.

DNIF for at least 6 months, but thank god the sq wasn't having a memorial for me. List of injuries is extensive, just thankful that my AF family has stepped up in this time of need for me. Couldn't be any happier with my CC and fellow aviators. Thanks everyone for checking up on me. See you back at work in about a month or so.

Raw deal -- happy to see you made it out alive though. :rock:

• Upvote 1

Just fired up my bike after a pcs and was getting some popping at idle. Took some work to get it to actually stay on without rolling on the throttle for about a minute and then it was idling fine. However, popping was still remaining at idle and through the first few gears just riding up and down the street. Is it just from the gas sitting in the tank for about a month and a half and just gotta get it going or is something wrong?

Just fired up my bike after a pcs and was getting some popping at idle. Took some work to get it to actually stay on without rolling on the throttle for about a minute and then it was idling fine. However, popping was still remaining at idle and through the first few gears just riding up and down the street. Is it just from the gas sitting in the tank for about a month and a half and just gotta get it going or is something wrong?

What is the bike? Is it carbureted or fuel injected?

Carbureted bikes can definitely run a little rough after sitting all winter. Usually I put some fresh gas in and give it a nice "Italian tuneup" to get everytihng flowing properly again. :rock:

Glad you're ok. What caused it?

Riding in formation heading to Roswell, NM. Sort of a windy day, huge tumbleweed got caught in front wheel (I don't remember this) and I apparently just couldnt shake it at 70 mph, it must of just threw the bike off. It was still stuck there when the bike was shown on the news later that night.

That sucks, but truth be told I hate riding in groups. I've seen more accidents that way, so I prefer to either ride by myself or only one or two other riders at the most; and then only people I know who don't think that riding in formation means copying the way it was done on CHiPs! Those two guys were always a bit too close to each other, both on the bikes and off...

chips.jpgchips-1.jpg

Riding in formation heading to Roswell, NM. Sort of a windy day, huge tumbleweed got caught in front wheel (I don't remember this) and I apparently just couldnt shake it at 70 mph, it must of just threw the bike off. It was still stuck there when the bike was shown on the news later that night.

Jesus Christ man, glad you're still tickin'. :beer:

• Upvote 1

If you haven't seen it, watch this: Long Way Round Long Way Round

Such an awesome show! I haven't read it yet, but my wife says the book is great too, and has a lot of cool stuff that didn't make it into the show.

There's also Long Way Down, which they did later on (Scotland to South Africa):

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Down-Ewan-McGregor/dp/B004DP7SA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328024361&sr=8-1

Very cool stuff, makes me want to do a big trip in spring now that I'm thinking about it.