Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

Are there any other members of BaseOps that ride?

Here's my bike...I took the picture during a great ride to the Wichita Mountains in OK:

7Oct06RideCrossingTXOK.jpg

(2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R)

Riding to work is great, and I even agree with the USAF's demands about protective gear. I always dress for the ride with the required helmet, boots, and gloves...and I wear a leather jacket 99% of the time.

My only complaint is getting on base. Lately, the guards have been insisting that they get to "hold" my ID instead of just look at it. With my heavy leather gloves on, it's next to impossible to reach into my wallet, grab my ID, and then put it all back in (sts) without dropping something. All this goes on while the cars line-up behind me at the gate. In the past, I had been wearing an ID armband with my ID inside, and the guards were just looking at it and waving me through. I guess the policy changed in the last couple weeks. :shrug:

I've been thinking about getting a clear luggage tag to put my ID in when I'm riding. I plan on attaching the tag to the zipper on my jacket pocket. That way, my ID is still secure on the odd chance that it falls-out of my pocket. Since it's totally transparent, the uptight guards can then hold my ID themselves and get a look at both sides.

Overall, I don't understand the insistence of "holding" the ID card. It's already difficult enough to get permission to ride on base (I had to make 3 trips to the safety office, talk to the SQ motorcycle rep, and talk to my CC just to get the vehicle sticker!), so a suspected "terrorist" would have a tough time gaining access to the base on a bike. Oh well.

So...any other riders here at BaseOps? :rock:

Guest VIPER_STUD

Nice bike man!

I'm a rider as well, 2000 CBR 600. As you said, I agree with all the protection requirements for riders on base as well as the motorcycle safety course. I will agree with you that it is a huge pain in the A$$ takin out your ID card every time and handing it to the guards. However, with DOD decals being eliminated in the near future I would be willing to bet that if every base doesn't already have this requirement they will by the time DOD decals are completely eliminated.

I think your idea about using the clear ID holder would work well though.

Good point about the decals going away.

...although I have no idea how I'm going to get rid of my decal without ruining the paint on the wheelguard. I'll probably just leave it on for posterity. ha.

Good to know there are more riders on the boards! Got a pic of your CBR?

Guest IncompletePete

My Suzuki Bandit 600s on a camping trip into the Scottish wilderness last summer. Although, managed to check it down the road last week so it doesn't look quite so pristine!

120748172-M.jpg

Not a bad spot for camping though, it was complete and utter wilderness!

82867779-M.jpg

Edited by IncompletePete

Been riding for most of my life. My latest bike is a 2005 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol rep...

9Feb200618.jpg

AirGuardian has one just like it.

I've also got a 1991 Honda ST1100 sport-tourer that has been sitting dormant for the past few years. I don't find much motivation to ride it when I have the CBR; but I have been thinking about getting it back on the road as it makes a good alternative for commuting to work.

Cheers! M2

I've had a couple...this here is my latest, a 2006 Honda VFR. Already have 8000 miles on it :thumbsup:

Do you think it's hard to keep up with a motorcycle while AD? Between having a place to store it and having to move it between stations, it seems like it'd be a lot of trouble. Will the AF pay to move your MC?...are any of you afraid that it'll get fvcked up in the process?

I just applied for the last OTS board, and I'd be pretty mortified to sell my bike....maybe investing in a truck is the answer.

72202916-M.jpg

VFR800

It is easy keeping a motorcycle while on AD, as long as you are willing to put up with the occassional witch hunts after someone does something stupid on theirs. The AF will move your bike in your household goods, my ST1100 went to Europe and back twice without a problem. Just let TMO know you have a motorcycle, and it is a good idea to call the moving company beforehand to assure they also know.

As for a place to keep it, the only concern I ever had was when I lived in a highrise apartment complex. I wasn't comfortable leaving it in the parking lot, and it got knocked over several times. But if you have a house and more importantly a garage then it is not a problem.

Just be warned that there are some adamantly anti-motorcycle people in the military, I have seen several GOs state they don't want there officers riding them (to include a two-star I worked directly for). However, I didn't let that stop me, I just kept the fact that I rode quiet.

Cheers! M2

And I have ridden Deal's Gap (The Dragon) before, it was fun (318 curves in 11 miles) but I would advise against going there on the weekends or during the summer. It is extremely popular and everybody from RVs to Miata Owners Groups will be out there. If you want to see some great photos from that area, try Killboy's web site, or more of his pics here.

Actually, although Deal's Gap was fun, my ride down from Baltimore via Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway was more enjoyable. Anyone coming from that direction should consider that route.

Cheers! M2

Anyone on here ever ridden up at Deal's Gap - the Dragon? I rode my first Harley Low Rider there - awesome ride!

I grew up about an hour from there, been riding it since I was a kid. Great road, but it was much better back in the mid-90's, not as many people knew about it and the cops left us alone.

I currently race a 00 Mille R, but I cant upload pics for some reason. Anyone else race at MMP?

Guest EN_STUD

Most bases won’t be issuing decals to vehicles/motorcycles in the near future. The ass-pain of showing our ID cards at the gate is going to be doubled once we have to show an Form 483 also.

http://www.seymourjohnson.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123041623

"Motorcycle riders will now have one additional requirement when entering the installation. "The vehicle decal was proof the rider had passed the motorcycle safety course," said Mr. Bishop. "Now that the decals have been discontinued, motorcycle operators will need to present their Air Force Form 483, Certificate of Competency, along with their ID card when they are entering the installation."

Is this happening anywhere but Seymour Johnson as of now?

Guest AerovacTech
Good point about the decals going away.

...although I have no idea how I'm going to get rid of my decal without ruining the paint on the wheelguard. I'll probably just leave it on for posterity. ha.

Good to know there are more riders on the boards! Got a pic of your CBR?

Use some Goo-Gone on the stickers. Takes them right off!!!

Guest SATCOM

1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R is my current pony, but being over forty is killing me on that bike. Maybe it's time (old fart) to go the cruiser route?

1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R is my current pony, but being over forty is killing me on that bike. Maybe it's time (old fart) to go the cruiser route?

WTF? I was 42 when I picked up my CBR!! Don't be a wuss!

Seriously, if your ZX-R is anything like a Ducati, I know what you are talking about! It is one of the reasons why I went for the CBR, they are much more comfortable than the other litre-class bikes!

Cheers! M2

Another MXer here. I don't have much time on the street. I've been riding/racing motocross since I was about 6 years old. This is my baby right now...05 YZ-250. I think I'm going to upgrade to a YZF-450 in 08 (if I can get that by the wife!).

On a side note, any MX/trail riding guys at Offutt? I'm looking for somebody to ride with when the snow melts.

MK

23March05004.jpg

4311580-R1-014-5A.jpg

4311580-R1-018-7A.jpg