Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - I've heard the military provides free MSF courses for military members. Do they provide courses for ROTC cadets as well? I'm guessing not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. All the classes in my area are booked up until the end of August it seems. There's a few openings next month for $240, but normally it's $100.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine. Just took her on a 1700 mile trip from the Smokies to East NC and back to MO. It was a great trip. The Tail of the Dragon was awesome and no traffic at 0615!

Bikeandcross2.jpg

BikeonBR.jpg

RiveratGap1.jpg

Edited by Bluto

Quick question - I've heard the military provides free MSF courses for military members. Do they provide courses for ROTC cadets as well? I'm guessing not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. All the classes in my area are booked up until the end of August it seems. There's a few openings next month for $240, but normally it's $100.

Are you anywhere near a base? If so, you might be able to fangle you way into a slot. Call the safety office...

Otherwise, you are out of luck. The USAF doesn't pay MSF instructors to teach the course, it trains them (military guys) for free and they provide the courses for everyone else. Not sure if the Navy orArmy do the same, if by chance you are closer to one of their bases...

Cheers! M2

Not meaning to hijack the thread from the cool new bike stuff, but anyone got any words on full face brain bucket selection? I currently have an old RF-205V that fits like a glove, but have had it for about 9 years now and read in the manual (who reads that thing?) that I should replace every 5 years or so. Was looking at the Shoei RF-1000, TZ-R or X-Eleven. Don't have any recent experience with other brands. Any suggestions. Current ride - '86 Lowrider. Location - Great White North with March to November riding season. Almost forgot, I did search the threads and didn't see anything anywhere else.

Edited by Nanook

There are some good bands out there. Shoei and Arai rank among my favorites, but Suomy and shark are pretty nice as well. Whatever one you choose, the most important part is that it fits. The cheek pads and interior padding must be snug!

I really liked the Shoei RF-1000. Quality lid and it didn't break the bank. A little windy, but that may have been my bike more than the helmet. It's all about what fits you best. Shoei and Arai have a slightly different fit that depends on the shape of your head. Both are good brands...

Not well known but Scorpion makes great helmets are are fairly cheap compared to Shoei. Check out their website at www.scorpionusa.com. They have a new one out which is the EXO-1000 which you can actually pump up the cheek pads for a better fit. I have an older model and I bought the shadeshift visor for it which Scorpion is one of few brands that has a visor like that. The airflow is awesome as well! I've had other brands like Shoei so compared to what you pay the Scorpion is well worth it.

• 4 months later...
Guest Semelo32

Just a quick question for any riders out in florida. Does anyone know of any good roads in the destin, fort walton, navarre area? Just moved to the area and was looking for some good riding spots. Thanks

First and foremost, outstanding job using the search forum!

Having just left some of the best riding in the US (the Texas Hill Country), you may be a bit disappointed to find there isn't as much to offer in the Redneck Riviera. I believe if you go north you might find some nice roads, but nothing like the infamous 33's (335, 336, 337). If you'd join before leaving San Antonio, I would've offered to have you come out and do a Bandera Breakfast Run with us one Sunday morning. Always a blast, and the grub at the Old Spanish Trail alone is worth getting up in the morning. But the ride out to Leakey and beyond tops the cake!

Hope you find some good roads out there!

Cheers! M2

Just a quick question for any riders out in florida. Does anyone know of any good roads in the destin, fort walton, navarre area? Just moved to the area and was looking for some good riding spots. Thanks

HAHAHA.....Exactly why I sold my 01 CBR F4i before moving to LA (Lower Alabama).....the roads suck and Hwy 98 is very dangerous. FWIW, I hear Crestview has decent attempts at curves and if you go north to alabama it gets a lot better too.

Having just left some of the best riding in the US (the Texas Hill Country), you may be a bit disappointed to find there isn't as much to offer in the Redneck Riviera. I believe if you go north you might find some nice roads, but nothing like the infamous 33's (335, 336, 337). If you'd join before leaving San Antonio, I would've offered to have you come out and do a Bandera Breakfast Run with us one Sunday morning. Always a blast, and the grub at the Old Spanish Trail alone is worth getting up in the morning. But the ride out to Leakey and beyond tops the cake!

Cheers! M2

M2 - what were some of your memorable Germany rides? I finally got my R1 and am looking forward to warmer weather and great rides...

:beer:

M2 - what were some of your memorable Germany rides? I finally got my R1 and am looking forward to warmer weather and great rides...

:beer:

There are tons fo great roads around Ramstein, and any trip to the Alps is gonna be a lifetime experience that you have to do! Plus you can guess what it is like riding on the autobahns.

Also did a ride from Belgium to the Thuringen Wald (former East Germany) for a rally.

But yes, the only thing that sucks is that the season is short, but when you can ride it is great!

Cheers! M2

Just thought I'd weigh in and say that I rode today...a beautiful day, sunny and in the 60s. There are not many days like this in the Great White North (north of 45 degrees) at this late date. The only bad thing is that the drivers here have already forgotten what it was like to see bikes on the road. BTW, talking about very nice rides, try the Lake Superior Circle Tour if you're of a mind. Just one of too many to count, but worth every minute.

Guest tollfree969

I might pick up a 2002 CBR600F4i with 11k on it tomorrow for $3,000. My girlfriend is going to kill me...

Wish me luck...

I might pick up a 2002 CBR600F4i with 11k on it tomorrow for $3,000. My girlfriend is going to kill me...

Wish me luck...

1-800

I won't re-spew what I already said about motorcycles in this thread, just go back and read my comments about gear and all that. Enjoy that CBR, it is a great bike; have fun but don't do anything stupid on it!

Cheers! M2

Cheers! M2

Man you are right, 337 is an awesome road. I just got here in Oct for PIT and brought the bike so I'm really enjoying the weekends.

Guest illini52

Here's mine. 1982 Kawasaki KZ750H. Not sure if I am going to keep riding or not. Had a lot of fun this summer though.

picture172xj9.jpg

Man you are right, 337 is an awesome road. I just got here in Oct for PIT and brought the bike so I'm really enjoying the weekends.

Bluto

Hook up with us one Sunday morning at the Exxon station in Helotes off of Bandera Road (not the one as you immediatley leave 1604, the one about a mile or so in). Kickstands up at 0730, so get there beforehand to fuel up and meet everybody before the mad dash to the OST...

And 335 north of Camp Wood and Barksdale is the best of the best (take 337 all the way west). It runs along the Neuces River and the road hugs the cliffside. It is literally a rollercoaster of a ride...

I'll be back at Randolph in a couple weeks with my bike, I'll definitely be looking for a breakfast run!

539405642_724f7aaa68.jpg

Toasty

Same for you, we've got a guy on a 1200 Sportster and everybody rides at their own pace. Run what ya brung!

Cheers! M2