Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

So, just wrapped up day two of a semi epic 7 day ride from FL to DC and back. Riding a fairly stock '02 883...forward controls, no windscreen. Just wanted to see if anyone else had an epic cross-country ride story they wanted to share that's not already on this thread (obviously I'm not a regular visitor to this thread).

Prior to this, my longest ride was in the UK...Cambridge-Oxford-Birmingham-Cambridge...shorter ride, more rain, same bike...

Edit: structure

When I was living in Washington I took my RC51 up to Port Angeles then Victoria via ferry. The bike has aftermarket red white and blue fairings and Yoshimura slip-ons that are fairly loud. Got a lot of dirty looks riding around quaint Victoria BC. 'Merica!

That was probably only about 300 miles of riding though round trip. My hand goes numb after about two or three hours on that bike.

Did you ride around Europe much? That would be awesome... How do you like your 883?

Xaarman - I just got my 929 back to stock. It was a bit of a PITA as the stock muffler has this valve in it that regulates the exhaust at different RPMs. It had a D&D full exhaust but I wasn't a fan.

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to see if anyone else had an epic cross-country ride story they wanted to share that's not already on this thread

Dallas to Fairbanks to Dallas. 22 days. '75 Yamaha RD350. I had some troubles along the way, such as having to replace rear tire in Fairbanks, roadside repair of alternator, my friend (he was on a SV650) had to replace his chain and sprockets, my right muffler fell off 20 miles from home, and the rings in the right cylinder needed replacing. My friend also crashed somewhere between Alaska and Canada. But it was a good adventure.

• Upvote 2

Dallas to Fairbanks to Dallas. 22 days. '75 Yamaha RD350. I had some troubles along the way, such as having to replace rear tire in Fairbanks, roadside repair of alternator, my friend (he was on a SV650) had to replace his chain and sprockets, my right muffler fell off 20 miles from home, and the rings in the right cylinder needed replacing. My friend also crashed somewhere between Alaska and Canada. But it was a good adventure.

Yeah! THAT'S an epic trip.

Billy, didn't get the Sportster over to the mainland, but rode all over East Anglia and Wales. It's been a faithful friend...no major problems. It leaks just enough oil through the valve cover gaskets to make things messy...has for the last 8 years...somewhat low on power (55 bhp) and you "feel" the engine through its solid mounts, but I've had a lot of fun with the bike.

When I got to Ramstein in 1995 a buddy of mine in Stuttgart and I rode down through the Black Forest into Bavaria and the Alps, then across Switzerland and Austria and into northern Italy and back in a little over a week. We even stopped for the night in Lichtenstein, just because.

The highlight was riding across Passo Stelvio, the highest paved mountain pass in the Eastern Alps and the second highest in the Alps but more importantly, 48 switchback turns!

That segment took longer than we expected and we ended up freezing our asses off and almost running out of gas, but it was the trip of a lifetime.

Had a Honda 250cc twin when I was stationed in the UK back in the early 80s, rode that sucker all over the place and even into London on a few occasions. The cool thing about that little bike was even the shortest trip seemed like an adventure.

I later rode another Honda, my ST1100, and took the Chunnel back to the UK while stationed in Belgium to visit my old haunts.

I still have that bike, but it sits in hibernation in the garage next to my CBR1000RR Repsol. Neither bike gets used much anymore, I'm getting too old and the Jeep provides enough adventure for me these days...

When I got to Ramstein in 1995 a buddy of mine in Stuttgart and I rode down through the Black Forest into Bavaria and the Alps, then across Switzerland and Austria and into northern Italy and back in a little over a week. We even stopped for the night in Lichtenstein, just because.

The highlight was riding across Passo Stelvio, the highest paved mountain pass in the Eastern Alps and the second highest in the Alps but more importantly, 48 switchback turns!

Bragging.

While I was waiting to board the ferry my numb hand and I were thinking about trading in the sport bike for a Harley or a Triumph Bonneville or something. Just then two 75 year old dudes roll up on some I-4 liter bikes. I took it as a sign from God.

The flip side of that is how easy it is to get in trouble on a bike. The difference between 70mph and 110mph is only about an inch on the speedometer. Likewise it only takes about a quarter inch of throttle in first to get the front wheel off the ground.

When I was a Lt I landed from a sortie at the schoolhouse and my flight commander met me at the ops desk - says the SQ/CC wants to see you. I jokingly asked "Should I throw on my blues?" He said "Yeah - if you can." I'm not sure if he's serious. So after I debrief I head over to the commanders office. He says "Report in." Uh-oh.

Apparently one of his O-5 buddies saw me doing a "wheelie" on my ZX6R on the way to work. This was 95% BS as the bike wouldn't really do a power wheelie, in first you could float the front tire 2-3 inches around 13-14,000rpm in first gear. I aggressively stayed in my "circle" and after some pontification on what kind of O-5 would go out of his way to get an Lt in trouble out of his squadron I got a stern warning.

There is no more fun for your money than a motorcycle.

Chida - Dallas to AK?! I'm impressed. I thought about doing Seattle to Anchorage and taking the ferry back but there's not much in Northern BC and I just completely pussed out.

EDIT - spelling.

Edited by billy pilgrim

Bragging.

While I was waiting to board the ferry my numb hand and I were thinking about trading in the sport bike for a Harley or a Triumph Bonneville or something. Just then two 75 year old dudes roll up on some I-4 liter bikes. I took it as a sign from God.

The flip side of that is how easy it is to get in trouble on a bike. The difference between 70mph and 110mph is only about an inch on the speedometer. Likewise it only takes about a quarter inch of throttle in first to get the front wheel off the ground.

When I was a Lt I landed from a sortie at the schoolhouse and my flight commander met me at the ops desk - says the SQ/CC wants to see you. I jokingly asked "Should I throw on my blues?" He said "Yeah - if you can." I'm not sure if he's serious. So after I debrief I head over to the commanders office. He says "Report in." Uh-oh.

Apparently one of his O-5 buddies saw me doing a "wheelie" on my ZX6R on the way to work. This was 95% BS as the bike wouldn't really do a power wheelie, in first you could float the front tire 2-3 inches around 13-14,000rpm in first gear. I aggressively stayed in my "circle" and after some pontification on what kind of O-5 would go out of his way to get an Lt in trouble out of his squadron I got a stern warning.

There is no more fun for your money than a motorcycle.

Chida - Dallas to AK?! I'm impressed. I thought about doing Seattle to Anchorage and taking the ferry back but there's not much in Northern BC and I just completely pussed out.

EDIT - spelling.

Departed the DC area this morning with plans to make it back to Navarre in two days instead of 3. I started off the day learning how much trouble you can get into on a bike at 30mph. There are those who have and those who will...today, I changed categories. Luckily I got away with a sore hip and shoulder and some minor bike repairs including some duct tape to put the left front turn signal indicator back on...then spent most of the rest of the day in rain and traffic jams... Manged to make it half way, though. Looking forward to dry conditions tomorrow.

It's been a great ride so far...day 4 was spent with a bunch of MACVSOG types (mostly SF). Riding to the VN memorial for a wreath laying.

M2, as a kraut by descent, I'm very jealous of your ride through the "homeland". All the times I hit the continent, I took the vette...worth it, but a bike trip would have been nice.

I'll be at Heartland Park Topeka (closest base is McConnell) on the 27th and Hallett (by Vance AFB) June 1st/2nd if anyone wants to check out what track days are like.

PM me if interested!

Edited by xaarman

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to PCS from COS to DC and I'm trying to get ideas on what to do with my bike. I sold my truck a couple years ago and now have a car plus the bike, so towing isn't an option anymore. Additionally, it's a dual sport, so I'm not really interested in riding across the country. I'm considering renting a U-haul, and doing a DITY move, and just strapping the bike inside. Anyone have experience with this or any other methods/suggestions?

I'm about to PCS from COS to DC and I'm trying to get ideas on what to do with my bike. I sold my truck a couple years ago and now have a car plus the bike, so towing isn't an option anymore. Additionally, it's a dual sport, so I'm not really interested in riding across the country. I'm considering renting a U-haul, and doing a DITY move, and just strapping the bike inside. Anyone have experience with this or any other methods/suggestions?

I did exactly that: rented 5x8 enclosed uhaul trailer, weighed it empty, filled 'er up (sts) w/ DITY crap and my bike, weighed it full and proceeded direct to the new PDS. Worked like a charm.

ETA: "trailer"

Edited by Learjetter

I'm considering renting a U-haul, and doing a DITY move, and just strapping the bike inside. Anyone have experience with this or any other methods/suggestions?

I assume the U-haul you have in mind is a truck (vice trailer), since you say your vehicle can't tow...?

U-hauls ain't cheap--depending on how much weight you get into it, you may not get all your money back (and if you're strapping the bike in, that will take up a lot of room that might otherwise be carrying your heavy stuff that could make it worthwile, financially). Make sure you crunch the numbers first.

If you can figure out a way to tow, I highly recommend buying a trailer. It will pay for itself by the second time you PCS with it, is tax-deductible (you bought & used it to produce income--your DITY pay), and the weight of the trailer counts toward your overall weight (make sure it can legitimately be called a "motorcycle trailer"--things like a ramp, wheel chocks, tie-downs, etc.--or else this last bit isn't true).

Good luck!

motorcycles can also be shipped as household goods...if you're willing to trust the shipper with your wheels.

I did that to several overseas assignments and back with a large (1100cc) sport-touring bike. Most movers packed the bike up in its own container, and I only experienced nominal damage to the bike. Just be sure to let them know beforehand so they'll have a crate and enough padding for it...

Thanks for the advice guys! Looks like I need to do the weight calculations to see what my best option is, without losing money. My RNLTD is 30 June, and I don't have orders yet, so that could be a factor as well. I might be forced into a DITY if the movers are booked through June.

I moved my first bike via TMO back in 2007. They required all fluids be drained from it, and then strapped the bike down in it's own container and sealed it up. Everything was A-OK when I received it, kind of impressed now looking back actually.

edit: Adding that you have to let TMO know when setting up the pick up appointment

Edited by xaarman

• 4 months later...

In Vegas this coming weekend? The USA Pro Supermoto and Robbie Gordon's Stadium Super Truck series are teaming up with Caesar's Palace to bring racing back to the Strip (It's been a while)! They are actually building a track with jumps right in front of Caesar's Palace on the Strip for one event on Friday November 8th. It is going to be Epic! Oh, and I'll be racing supermoto at this event, I'll be on a black bike #76 so come cheer on an Air Force guy as I take on the best in the country and stop by and say hi. Practice and qualifying start in the afternoon and the racing starts when the sun goes down at about 6:30. If you miss the race I think it will be on NBC sports so check it out there if you have that channel.

Here's a link http://stadiumsupertrucks.com/ssts/

Edited by Highside