Coast Guard info

Guest RadioFlyer

Guest RadioFlyer

Where do the Coast Guard C-130 pilots come from? Is it possible to be an AF pilot and cross into the coast guard? If it is I'm guessing that your AF years/CG years both work towards 20? It just seems like a sweet gig if you love being near the ocean. Thanks!

The Coast Guard has OCS and the Academy and what not, so I would imagine some come from there. As far as retirement years go, as long as the AF years are active duty, they should just transfer over.

Check out www.gocoastguard.com for more detailed/accurate information

FWIW, our unit took an Interservice Transfer from the Coast Guard. He was a C-130 pilot with about 12 years in the CG. He put on the USAF uniform, and it was tranparent. He can retire next year from the USAF, if he wants.

USCG C-130 pilots come from the same pipeline as all USCG pilots. They track the C-130s out of Primary at Whiting instead of the much, much more common helicopter track. A guy in my class at Whiting went C-130s as his second choice behind the Falcon (yes, the USCG flies jets). I'm not really sure about the details of their training after T-34s, though. I was gone to Vance before he tracked and lost track of him since. One of our instructors at the time there was a Coastie Falcon pilot and I loved listening to his stories, definately an interesting mission. If I could do it all over again, I would give serious consideration to the Coast Guard rather than not even realizing it as a choice.

There is an exchange position with the Coast Guard at Clearwater flying 130s as well. It's typically a rescue/SOF pilot billet, but a good deal. Living in Tampa, flying 'bergs out of St. John's.... Their other 130 bases are Elizabeth City, NC; Sacramento, CA; Kodiak, AK, and Barbers Point, HI. Other than E-City, not too shabby.

Guys that track fixed wing in the coast guard go to NAS Corpus Christi just like all the other turboprop bubbas. P-3, CG, and AF all have the same training (E-2/C-2 are diferent) up until the end where everyone branches off into service specific stuff. They find out if they're going Falcon Jets or Hercs towards the end of their training.

• 1 year later...
Guest Yossarian

Thread Revival...

Any word on fighter types transferring to the CG? Transition from an F16 to Herks/Helos seems a bit difficult to pull off.

Also, with the way the fighter community seems to be going, any guesses on how difficult it would be to get cut loose to apply for the Coast Guard via the Direct Commission Aviator program in the next few years?

Gracias

Thread Revival...

Any word on fighter types transferring to the CG? Transition from an F16 to Herks/Helos seems a bit difficult to pull off.

Also, with the way the fighter community seems to be going, any guesses on how difficult it would be to get cut loose to apply for the Coast Guard via the Direct Commission Aviator program in the next few years?

Gracias

When I talked to the helo coasties over a year when I was TDY about guys transfering to the CG, they told me that it is designed for guys with prior helo time and experience. Them training you how to fly an advanced helicopter, at night using NVG's, over water, would be the same as retraining me to fly a fighter (I can't wait for the replies on this one)...it could happen, but why take a fighter guy when they can take a bunch of prior Army dudes who have tons of helo time? Not to say it couldn't happen, afterall, MD saw the light and got accepted to transfer to helos in the ANG. I think your best bet would be to try and fly CG Herks.

Guest Safe&Clear

The Coast Guard is experiencing a bit of a pilot shortage. If your AF commitment is getting short, and you have no more than around 10-12 years of service, you should be accepted easily.

The trick is all the paperwork: it's basically the same process as joining the military all over again. You need to call your nearest Coast Guard recruiter-- some are better than others of course. The one I worked with was extremely gung-ho and familiar with the process of putting together the package. It only took a couple of weeks.

Here's the other kicker: you will be knocked down to a LTJG (1LT/ O-2) for two years, then on with normal rank progression.

I was turned down because I had nearly 14 years of service already. That was just a little too much over their 10-year (waiverable to 12) limit. I don't think they want to pay out of their retirement-pot for someone who only does 6 years with them. (Yes, retirement funds are all DOD money, but it's not really that simple...)

I was also pretty skeptical about dropping from a fairly senior O-4 to an O-2. I indicated I'd like a "waiver" to that requirement as well. That probably didn't help my case.

It's an option I'd highly recommend to anyone who's in the zone to make it. They fly a lot and have much less silliness than the AF. Their "mission" is pretty clear-cut; they don't need to re-define themselves every couple of years!

When I talked to the helo coasties over a year when I was TDY about guys transfering to the CG, they told me that it is designed for guys with prior helo time and experience. Them training you how to fly an advanced helicopter, at night using NVG's, over water, would be the same as retraining me to fly a fighter (I can't wait for the replies on this one)...it could happen, but why take a fighter guy when they can take a bunch of prior Army dudes who have tons of helo time? Not to say it couldn't happen, afterall, MD saw the light and got accepted to transfer to helos in the ANG. I think your best bet would be to try and fly CG Herks.

Amen, my brother...preach on! :rock: On that note, I just dropped my resignation package for the ANG in order to transfer to the AFRC. Pending any hiccups, the next RQWC class at Rucker is apparently in June/July timeframe. Be nice to get going on this. To tag onto what you were saying, in addition to me, there were (IIRC) 4 other guys hired; one an Army CW-2/UH-60 guy, and the other 3 Army O-2/O-3 UH-60 or OH-58 guys. So pretty lucky with my lack of applicable background to have been accepted (helo time that is....have a background in CSAR from the Hog). I suppose it did help to have some fellow Customs pilots from my air branch flying with the unit also.

On the CG C-130 thing...interesting thing: when we need airlift for outsize items at CBP, the CG C-130s usually do it, since they're part of DHS just as we are. Oddly, the CG usually sends a J-model, since apparently the J's are used for airlift but not just yet for patrol as the H models are. This info is about a year old, so it may have changed.

On the CG H-models, do the pilots train at Little Rock? And do thy carry Nav's? If so, are the Nav's Naval Flight Officer's (or CG equivilent), or are they enlisted types in the same way the Marine Air Navigators are on USMC C-130s?

Amen, my brother...preach on! :rock: On that note, I just dropped my resignation package for the ANG in order to transfer to the AFRC. Pending any hiccups, the next RQWC class at Rucker is apparently in June/July timeframe. Be nice to get going on this. To tag onto what you were saying, in addition to me, there were (IIRC) 4 other guys hired; one an Army CW-2/UH-60 guy, and the other 3 Army O-2/O-3 UH-60 or OH-58 guys. So pretty lucky with my lack of applicable background to have been accepted (helo time that is....have a background in CSAR from the Hog). I suppose it did help to have some fellow Customs pilots from my air branch flying with the unit also.

On the CG C-130 thing...interesting thing: when we need airlift for outsize items at CBP, the CG C-130s usually do it, since they're part of DHS just as we are. Oddly, the CG usually sends a J-model, since apparently the J's are used for airlift but not just yet for patrol as the H models are. This info is about a year old, so it may have changed.

On the CG H-models, do the pilots train at Little Rock? And do thy carry Nav's? If so, are the Nav's Naval Flight Officer's (or CG equivilent), or are they enlisted types in the same way the Marine Air Navigators are on USMC C-130s?

Not sure about the nav piece, but CG pilots do train at Little Rock (at least for initial qual). We generally have a couple Coasties in training at any one time, and just got an exchange IP from the CG to teach at the FTU.

• 2 months later...
Guest Flitestar

Hey there!

Here's the deal, I really like what the USCG does, I definately would like to be part of it, however, Im interested on USCG Reserve. I am currently flying the CRJ200 at a regional, but I have been chewing on the idea of finally joining (If I qualify...).

Would you guys have any idea on whether Id have any chances on qualifying to join the Reserve as a pilot? Not too sure how the road goes...

I personally have no preference on rotary wing or FW, Id just like to be part of it.

Heres my brief profile:

31 Years old

2500 TT 500hrs Jet time FO

College Degree and Masters Degree

I have tryed to reach the recruiters office several times both in Atlanta and East Atlanta, but always get a recording asking me to leave my information and I will receive a call back. Im still waiting after 2 weeks and no answer, so Im asking around in the forums from people who may know some more info about it.

If I join any of the armed forces it would be the CG only, I am not interested on the Air Force, Navy, Army, etc...

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanx!

FS

Guest Hueypilot812

FYI, as far as I know the USCGR has no air assets. All aircraft and pilots are AD. I tried to get into the CG a number of years ago through the DCA program. DCA candidates must be prior service (most are Army warrants) that don't have a commission. The only other avenues into USCG aviation is through the Coast Guard Academy or Coast Guard OCS. Both require you to do a non-flying assignment prior to going to a flying job. Even in that case, this guy is too old for OCS or the Academy, so I think he's outta luck.

Edited by Hueypilot812

FYI, as far as I know the USCGR has no air assets. All aircraft and pilots are AD. I tried to get into the CG a number of years ago through the DCA program. DCA candidates must be prior service (most are Army warrants) that don't have a commission. The only other avenues into USCG aviation is through the Coast Guard Academy or Coast Guard OCS. Both require you to do a non-flying assignment prior to going to a flying job. Even in that case, this guy is too old for OCS or the Academy, so I think he's outta luck.

You are correct on all counts.

Age is the first killer here. I got into the AF a few years before their age cutoff, if I wanted to transfer to the USCG I'd need to do it before turning 35. You also have to have a certain number of rated military hours either fixed wing or rotary wing (UPT hours don't count either). Fixed wing transfers aren't allowed to go rotary wing as far as I know.

But for a civilian over the age of 30, chances are slim to none.

Just out of curiosity, what would that transfer entail? Would you keep your rank and time in service or would you lose it all in the transfer between services? Is this something that happens often or one of those "I heard a guy talking about a guy who did it in 93?"

The answer is "it depends." I did see a USAF first lieutenant cross-commission into the Navy as he was trying for a SEAL slot. I think he retained his rank but lost his TIG, or something like that because, oddly enough, it was way back in 93!

It can be done, although it is rare and tough to do. Of course, much of it matters on which service you are transferring to. The Army had a Blue-to-Green program during the Air Force's recent "force shaping," but they would have had to immediately promote me twice to make me even consider it!

Cheers! M2

p.s. The Army has more on Interservice Transfers here...

That is actually not the case. One can be given an appointment to flight school straight from OCS and USCGA. It's of course extremely competitive, but nonetheless can happen.

• 7 months later...

Any Coasties in here?

Random question...do CG pilots move every 3 years like their AF counterparts, or do they have a more stable career (i.e. move less often)?

Also....with the current limit of a max of 10 years of non-CG commissioned service, and the last of the 8-year post-UPT committments ending soon (only 10-year types ramaining), do you think they'll make time in service waivers automatic, or change their policy to allow more than 10 years? Best case, all AF types would be applying with at least 11 years of service.....

We moved every four years when I was growing up. They got much shorter after my pops went to USNTPS, Air War College, was CO of an air station, and held staff jobs. So I would say up to him making O-5, it was every four years. After that, it depended on the assignment but there was never a 4 year gig again.

As far as the time in service waivers, I'm not sure.

I'm also curious though on how flexible they are with the age limit and also the 13 years of service towards retirement requirement. You may solve the TIS issue, but run into two others.

I'll ask around.

Guest remster

1. DCA program is for fixed and rotor wing.

2. There are more rotor slots than fixed. The boards are twice a year, summer and winter, the decisions are posted a month prior to the DCA (officer 4 week transfer) school slots in Connecticut. This gives time for you to join the USCG, get orders and then go to the DCA school. Very simple and mostly an introduction on how paperwork, names, procedures work.

3. Year to year has different numbers of slots. In the summer and winter of 08' there were 80 pilots needed. In the summer of 09' it dropped to 20. For the winter of 09 and on to '10, there may be fewer (fixed wing) slots due to overmanning. (USCG thought they were going to buy many CASA planes and did not get funding yet).

4. You must have no more than 10yrs active service, waiverable to 12. Prior enlisted+O time, whatever added up to no more than 10.

5. At least 500? hrs fixed time for fixed guys. not sure about helos.

6. you CAN go from fixed to helo or vice versa. It does not make sense, but the detailers do not care what you did before. It is upon YOU to notify the detailer upon being accepted that you are an H model or a J model C-130 guy so you dont have to do the whole schoolhouse again. Typically they like to use your background if you agree, for instance most Marine C-130J dudes will go to E-City for their base, the only USCG J model unit so far. It makes sense in this case.

7. C-130 requals go to Tampa for sims then Clearwater for an IP checkride from a Coastie IP. C-130 newbies go to little rock or Tampa.

9. You do go down in rank, not ONE rank, but rather to O-2. So if you just pinned on O-4, you will go to O-2. The difference being that you will be O-2 with 10yrs service, not basic O-2 pay. Then you still get your 10yr flight pay of $700 etc etc... This is perhaps the biggest kick in the nuts if you have kids and the wife does not work. The comforting news is, there are plenty of other O-2's walking the hallways who were former O-4s and sick and tired of nonstop deployments. 2.5yrs later you promote to O-3 again and the pay starts to come back.

10. With the USAF 10yr UPT guys coming around the corner there MAY be some waivers once they realize some quality guys are barely making the cut. You can still apply and even talk to your USAF handler and ask for an early release by 1 or 2 years. The USCG seems very willing to work with you if you are a good, qualified guy. I have even seen some guys get accepted who were a year to year and a half away from being let go, but at the time of application were in the 10 year limit.

Here is a rundown of how it all goes. Go to the USCG website and select DCA info. Talk to a recruiter and start the DCA checklist off of the website. The recruiters are not totally vested in you so they may not devote attention to your plight, I suggest offering a lunch while you talk about the process with them, many have already done DCA stuff.

A. Fill out all the some 25+ diffnt PDF forms and sheets ranging from (another) security clearance for Secret (doesnt matter if you already have one, they want another one FILLED out, pay allotments, career goals, resume, OPRS/Fitreps, flight history and the biggest: Flight Physical USCG category. This might take some time to coordinate with your flight doc so get on it NOW. If you are doing your normal physical anyways, do this at the same time!!!! When printing this out, use Adobe to fill it in, if its in pen or pencil its just that much harder to negotiate for them.

B. Last part of package is letters of recommendation from coworkers and commanders.

C. Take the whole package, and put it in a folder in ORDER, left side, right side. (I suggest photocopying the whole thing for yourself as well)

D. The recruiter will make an appointment at the local airstation (hope one is close) for a board of pilots to interview you and ask PRE-selected questions (please please, go to another USCG pilot or airstation a few times to ask about this and get to know guys). The panel of 5 or so guys are not pro's at this, they are tasked by the scheduler to do this and are as unfamiliar as you probably. This lasts about 30min. One of two things, either you are a total dirtbag who has no idea how to fly or make decisions, or you are not. The interview will be scored a point system by each member and that point system will be used to rack you against other applicants in D.C.

E. That interview is sent to DC and your folder is sent to DC.

F. About a month later you will get a letter in the mail that you are denied or accepted. Usually if you are denied your package comes back to the USCG office for you to keep and resubmit, if you are accepted, they will keep your package in DC.

G. From there you can discuss with DC on when you will join, now vs a few months from now etc..... and then where you will go, base preference etc..... Once you are ready they will cut orders and you swear in.

The best way is NO break in service. I am not sure what happens if you DO get a break in service. And after acceptance there is a part 3 to all your forms to fill out.

-------------

So why join the Coast Guard?

Most I talk to give the same answer. You want a steady paycheck and health care for your family like Active Duty mil. But you dont want to deploy your ass off and actually see your kids grow up. The Coast Guard uses "quality of life" in its statements a lot. And that's true. The assigments detailer actually ASKS you if you have special needs, your kids etc.... and PCS moves are only in summers when kids are out of school. And the detailer actually tries to get you the base you WANT. And you can trade with other dudes too, if your buddy Joe is in Hawaii and wants to move, and you are in CA but want Hawaii, you both call and he swaps you, its cake and almost surreal. In some bases you work 6 days a week and dont even get a thanks for taking that Saturday for the team, in USCG you automatically are expected to take that Fr or Monday off. Family time is important. Lets face it, if mama aint happy, aint nobody happy.

As for jobs, your ground duty/collateral jobs will vary but won't be big as an O-2, regardless if you redesigned your last command, you are an O-2 now and fall into that expectation. This is good if you want less stress and bad if you really are that type to take on lots of work to be somebody. Whatever service you came from, your stress will be a lot lower in USCG though it may take a while to adapt to new things for Army and Air Force guys. Navy guys will slide right in smoothly due to the NAVY like atmosphere of -isms and traditions.

Lastly, your deployments are no longer to Bagram, Baghdad and Africa. But instead, Ecuador, Newfoundland, Puerto Rico, Costa rica etc etc....... and usually in a 4-5star hotel on top of that for a whole 2 weeks. That is, IF you want to go at all. Yep, stressing already.

Awesome post. Did you go that route or just familiar with the process?

I'll second the quality of life statement. With the exception of TPS, I saw my pops all the time. Was at our soccer/hockey games, scouts, ect. When we owned a boat, seemed like every weekend we were at some lake water skiing. It was great as a kid, and the locations are awesome too. Cape Cod, LA, Corpus Christi, Houston, were all great. E-City was my least favorite, but I was in college and only visited there.

Guest remster

Did the process and am still on active duty waiting to go.

It was nice to have buddies in the CG in my Sq and other dudes who did DCA before me to walk me through it. If anybody has any detailed/personal questions or frustations about the paperwork and whatnot feel free to email me and I might be able to walk you through it or provide examples.

It seems a lot of people work hard and use resources all over to get in the door, then once they're in the door, they don't repay the favor to those in their shoes coming right behind them.

Gotta all help each other out these days.

In any case for any career my supervisor showed me a binder he made, and I thus made mine right away.

In it were photocopies of DLs, Passports, Type ratings, FAA radio license, FAA physicals, other FAA paperwork. Alt Chamber cards, weapon qual cards, High School-masters degree diploma AND records. Drivers record report of your state. copy of last mil flight physical. Flight hours summary sheet/log book. Form 8s, checkride papers, graduation papers from any and all training. Rips, orders PCS's, copies of all Fitreps/OPRs, copies of medals/awards, birth certificates for whole family, mariage certificates, SSN cards for whole family. It may seem because these papers are available to you now that there is no rush to copy them, trust me on this, copy them NOW.

This is just to start. Why? because some employers, from Airlines to Dept homeland Security, all want different things and sometimes you don't have time to wait 2 months for a stupid transcript or card. Instead we got it all in one giant 3ring binder in either black and white or color. If the house is burning I will grab that binder for sure!