Mustache March

john

Good effort, but fact check dude. Olds didn't shoot down 4 Russian MiGs in Bolo. He got one, and it was a North Vietnamese jet. Piloted by a Russian maybe...

The other three were killed by his mustache.

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...

I believe retirees are authorized Mustache Whenever-the-F-They-Want. That's my interpretation of the regs at least...

Last time I checked you're authorized a Mustache whenever you want as well. I don't even need to interpret the reg to tell you it's true. Don't try it though, only us crusty NCOs can pull it off all year long.

Interesting question 10percent. I do recall one retired friend who had continued to stay clean shaven that did in fact sport the 'Stache for March one year, so I'll bet a few guys do continue to observe the tradition.

I've been on leave since Mar. 1 so I'm rocking a beard. Lumberjack March in the Marco house.

Is there any kind of bonus for maintaining your 'stache from Movember all the way through March? Or are you supposed to start March with a clean face?

There should be. For your wife-fu skills must be strong to be able resist repeated razor attacks by the enemy for that long a time period.

• Upvote 1

The shirt here at base X is already threating to "ruin our day" if we don't comply with the 36-2903 "hitler stache" guidelines (aka "ted stache").

Challenge accepted.

Team OG,

The month that so many of you have waited for all year is upon us. That time of year when no one can ridicule you (except your wives) for your show of masculinity in honoring the mustache (and supporting the charitable reasons for the month).

While we are destined to see many “epic fails” growing on the lips of men in the group this month, what we should NOT see are mustaches that do not conform to military standards.

Per AFI 36-2903, 3.1.2.2: Mustaches “will be conservative and will not extend downward beyond the lip line of the upper lip or extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from both corners of the mouth”.

The figure below (in HTML) diagrams the limits of your facial hair attempts. Please help police your own wingmen so the Commanders and I do not have to ruin your fun.

XXXXXX, MSgt, USAF

First Sergeant

Xth Operations Group

The shirt here at base X is already threating to "ruin our day" if we don't comply with the 36-2903 "hitler stache" guidelines (aka "ted stache").

Challenge accepted.

Team OG,

The month that so many of you have waited for all year is upon us. That time of year when no one can ridicule you (except your wives) for your show of masculinity in honoring the mustache (and supporting the charitable reasons for the month).

While we are destined to see many “epic fails” growing on the lips of men in the group this month, what we should NOT see are mustaches that do not conform to military standards.

Per AFI 36-2903, 3.1.2.2: Mustaches “will be conservative and will not extend downward beyond the lip line of the upper lip or extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from both corners of the mouth”.

The figure below (in HTML) diagrams the limits of your facial hair attempts. Please help police your own wingmen so the Commanders and I do not have to ruin your fun.

XXXXXX, MSgt, USAF

First Sergeant

Xth Operations Group

Yeah.... everyone's mustache here is "out of regs" anyways. And guess what, no one gives a damn.

That shirt would not approve of the full Fu-Manchu I am attempting this year. I was hoping for a full James Hetfield (that's the lead singer for Metallica for you Tops in Blue fans) but it is not off to a good start.

I preempted the Shirt by sending out an article on Robin Olds (Pictures included of course). He has come up to me several times and he can't stop looking at the beast above my upper lip. Hasn't mentioned it yet. Winning.

Edited by Duck

One way to get folks on board is to make it about charity. $20 buy in, $20 if you shave it prior to the last day of March. All proceeds go to Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

Watch the trolls retreat when they can't figure out how to say something without looking like an jackass.

Sadly, a fellow pilot took up this duty many years ago, going so far as to dime out the bros to the DO (who was an equal level of douchebag).

More sadly, he is now a UPT squadron commander.

One way to get folks on board is to make it about charity. $20 buy in, $20 if you shave it prior to the last day of March. All proceeds go to Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

Watch the trolls retreat when they can't figure out how to say something without looking like an jackass.

In case you missed it, there is a legit fundraiser in conjunction with Mustache March.

I made it almost 4 months deployed with a highly out of regs stache before finally getting chiefed. I'm rather proud of that.

I did that for almost my whole 24 yrs; just enough out of regs to be out. Never had anyone say shit about it. But then being MX, nobody gave a shit either.

EDIT: Me not spell so good.

Edited by Stitch

Thread revival:

Today, the keeper of the bosoms in my household asked an interesting question & one I had not thought of:

Do Retirees participate in Mustache March? Any greybeards here want to chime in?

Never shaved it off and still give rides on it!

• Upvote 1