Mustache March

john

While on the topic - extracted from Tony's blog, and very well said:

...it’s not only alright but important that they have heroes, and to the extent those heroes happen to wear flight suits, we shouldn’t shy away from idolizing them just because it risks elevating aircrews to a special status in the organization. If this is indeed part of the intended message, it’s long overdue. If it’s not part of the intended message, it should be. This is a controversial idea for some, which explains why Welsh is reticent to acknowledge it explicitly. The service decided a decade ago to dismantle some of the negative aspects of its aviation culture, but it went too far, and became seized with the fantastical notion that all of its members are equal contributors to the mission. This tortured idea went so far that it infected evaluation and promotion systems, leading to the championing of ancillary activities at the expense of core competencies. This has been part of a noticeable slide toward operational mediocrity that was underway well before budget woes moved senior leaders to start acknowledging it.

I think that the saddest part about this is the backlash attempting to protect the women. From what I've seen, most of the sex-based objections have come from men trying to 'save' women from this 'sexist' tradition. We've become so brainwashed with this victim culture that we don't wait for actual victims to be heard. It's paternalism at its saddest. If the ladies banded together and did 'don't wash your hair July' I don't think you'd hear any women shouting about how sexist that is toward the men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1^

Several girls at SOS today showed up with mustaches taped on...it was nice to see some semblance of humor still exists and everything doesn't have to be called sexist/racist/etc

I'd be curious to know what the percentage was of those ladies wearing bags vs ABUs.

Meanwhile...

The CSAF’s “March Mustache Challenge” will not be embraced at USAFA. The cadets WILL NOT be participating, and all permanent party have been reminded that we are about standards and nothing in this challenge will ask us or allow us to break those standards. Apparently a number of MAJCOM commanders have come out and specifically said, “Our command is not participating.”

Meanwhile...

The CSAF’s “March Mustache Challenge” will not be embraced at USAFA. The cadets WILL NOT be participating, and all permanent party have been reminded that we are about standards and nothing in this challenge will ask us or allow us to break those standards. Apparently a number of MAJCOM commanders have come out and specifically said, “Our command is not participating.”

Sweet, these are the quality force indicators Liquids talking about when identifying those not fit for command right? RIGHT?

If the CSAF wants to know what's wrong with AF morale, camaraderie, and esprit-de-corps, he needs to look no further than his own Commanders. The subject is trivial at face-value (pun intended), but telling of underlying issues. I haven't seen any evidence of MAJCOM/CCs coming out against the CSAF's Mustache March, but WHY would any GO publicly go against the CSAF?

Meanwhile...

Meanwhile...

INSUBORDINATION. Direct verbal order from a superior commander, unless it is illegal, follow it.

INSUBORDINATION. Direct verbal order from a superior commander, unless it is illegal, follow it.

Meh. Cadets aren't allowed facial hair by their regs..

Message had two faces.

1. Don't violate standards--checks with CSAF guidance (I think, based on what I've read here anyway).

2. And, you're not allowed to play.

Reminds me of pulling into Salem. Had fun there but was taken aback at otherwise excellent aircrew brochure. The first first item was about the fact that morale patches were not authorized. I could really care less, but how the heck was the that the first thing new aircrew needed to know?

Crap, I hate staches. Sort of feel compelled to grow one now. We'll see if I remember in morn.

My group commander issued a challenge for mustache march and used a picture of himself with a mega stache-goatee combo.

I agree TarHeelPilot, GOs directly contradicting the CSAF makes absolutely no sense Where do they find these asshats?

Meanwhile...

This was a great opportunity for the CC's of the zoo to step up and show some actual leadership by embracing the CSAF's challenge. Not surprising they squandered it.

Apparently a number of MAJCOM commanders have come out and specifically said, “Our command is not participating.”

Wouldn't want to encourage morale-building at one of the most personally and professionally turbulent times the Air Force has ever faced, right?

Jesus tapdancing Christ. I can't find a meme on the internet with enough fucking facepalms for this shit... so a papal facepalm will have to suffice.

pope_face_palm.jpg

• Upvote 3

My sq/cc (former fighter guy in a past life) reported there was significant grumbling here at the lovely 27th SOW. Apparently some other commanders in the Group blamed him as a former fighter dude. It's been telegraphed that when I and another guy go brief the OG later this week that week-old mustaches will be frowned upon.

Needless to say, not surprising that AFSOC would lead the way on crushing morale and pegging fun meters. Sometimes I think the "special" in AFSOC has been "short bus special" all along...

• Upvote 1

Remember my days at the zoo.... back when they first brought in UCMJ (LOR's/Art 15/etc.) and got rid of tours/demerits for awhile. The ladies of that fine establishment pushed to get the skirts/clothing/hair regs of active duty....cause you know, we were going to make the zoo like the real air force and quit playing by different rules. The zoo acquiesced, but when guys pushed to get facial hair according to the big blue reg.... promptly denied.

It was one of my first glimpses at the two sidedness of big blue that would eventually come to define my constant frustration...

(maybe leadership was just scared of policing the avalanche of 3000 mustaches)