Mustache March

john

Can someone help me out? I remember reading a bullet proof mustache story a while back about a pilot in Vietnam who shaved his stache for some R&R in Thailand and then was shot down on his next mission. Said pilot was then ordered never to shave it again...

Anybody else familiar with this or know where I can find it? I thought I remembered someone from baseops posting it but I can't find it searching. Thanks.

zb

It was either in "When Thunder Rolled" or "100 Missions North", I believe the former. The Thud driver had his mustache and when on R&R to Bangkok and he was subsequently unable to get laid because of it. He promptly shaved and was shot down. From that point onward the Wing King directed that all pilots would possess the mustache

• 1 month later...
Guest thegrayman

Just got a text message from my supervisor..."mustaches must be shaved by Monday morning". Our "leadership" at _____ has been grumbling about out-of-reg 'staches for a week. Too bad - our squadron has some real beauts (and they are completely IN-regs, BTW). LAME. I hope the three days of "professional image" they bought is worth the leadership capital they just spent.

Just got a text message from my supervisor..."mustaches must be shaved by Monday morning". Our "leadership" at _____ has been grumbling about out-of-reg 'staches for a week

How can they force you to shave your mustache? Sure they can force you to keep it in regs, but if it's good by the regs, then WTFO? Can they also make everyone bic their nuggets because the WG/CC thinks it's a more "professional warrior" look? I can't believe this. What could they possibly do if you ignored it and just had your mustache in regs. Fuck those dumbasses.

Anyone else have a mid month meltdown? I woke up for an early show March 15th and threw the shaving cream on. Started shaving and in my semi-conscious state shaved part of my stache off. I stopped, thinking it could be salvaged and shaved part of the other side but to no avail. (I went from Burt Reynolds to Hitler after the attempted fix) I had to shave it all and I never fully recovered.

Looks like it's coming to an early end at ETAR.

To: 86 AW GP/CCs

Subject: Mustache madness

Commanders, the next member of the 86th AW I stop for mustache not in compliance w/ AFI 36-2903 will be issued a LOC on the spot. Additionally, that members supervisor, flight commander, and squadron commander will also receive the same.

All 29 squadrons will conduct an open ranks inspection for all male mustache wearing members before 1200L on Monday, 29 March 2010. This includes those who are TDY and on leave.

Also all 29 squadron commanders will inspect all female members for proper hair standards, too (hair touching collars, illegal pony tails, etc).

Report back completion to this office.

Regards,

XXXX XXXX, Brigadier General, USAF

Wow, I'm glad one mustache is worth 3-4 LOCs. I'm also glad people should waste time doing an inspection for mustaches. Remember, it's not about the mission, it's about queepy bullshit that has precisely zero effect on mission completion. Great fucking perspective some "leadership" has.

Best way to be in complete compliance with the above email is the Hitler stache. That way no one can possibly say that you're out of regs.

Seems to be a lot more reports of push back from the leadership this year. Anyone else notice that?

Guest Alarm Red

Looks like it's coming to an early end at ETAR.

Holy shit, talk about the Peter Principle1 in action. If BGen Dillon was any less mission oriented, he'd mandate one-day a week blues wearing.

An open-ranks inspection? Recalling people from TDY and leave to get inspected?

How about he gets up from behind his desk and stops leading by email. And paperwork as a first-response corrective action? For the entire chain of command? This guy, and especially this email, should be documented for PME students as a lesson in failed leadership.

• Upvote 1

As an old guy, this is all so sad...mustaches--and especially deployment or March Mustache Madness--were meant to raise morale and honor the tradition of such greats as Robin Olds. Now they are the target of PC'ness and some assclown's career aspirations ("What, you've got pilots running around with mustaches?!? No second star for you!").

It all makes me want to :vomit:

Still, not worth getting your ass wrung through the wringer about. Pick your battles wisely... :bash:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

For you old timers here: how far back do you remember Mustache March? Although the article says it goes back to the 70's, I don't recall seeing it in the 80's or early 90's. Maybe just bad memory on my part. Was it pretty much a TAC-only thing until '92?

• Upvote 1

Apparently there is something out there called "Movember". Basically growing a mustache in November to help raise awareness about men's health issues like prostate cancer. I had never heard about it but a buddy of mine started growing one and explained it to me, sounded like a good enough reason to grow a stache. If only this could be in March I'm sure they could get a big AF following, grow your stache and raise some money for cancer, sure sounds good.

Anyway, point is, the Wing CC here saw it and gave him a ton of shit, even after he explained the Movember deal. I mean really? I know mustaches aren't exactly encouraged year round but if it's neat and in regs do we really need to throw a hissy fit.

UCI - Gayest thing ever.

Yah...for example in the wake of a UCI Laughlin has completely done away with UPT Friday patches, any pen tab/morale patch that's not a picture of your MWS, and anyone caught wearing the wrong patches (i.e. US flag instead of wing patch, Red Bull nametag when it's not Friday, etc) is subject to an LOC. Because you can't perform the mission correctly if you don't have the proper queep approved patches on.

• 3 months later...

AFI 33-360 says local guidance can be more restrictive... but cannot contradict higher-level guidance. So don't see how a Wing King could contradict 36-2903. Doubt anyone will be making a federal case out of it though. What happens to the Senior E's running around with moustaches year round though?

How is that even legal?

So now WG/CC's can make up dress and appearance regs?

How is that even legal?

So now WG/CC's can make up dress and appearance regs?

Let's see...

He's the Wing Commander.

He runs the base.

He can be more restrictive than the AFI.

He doesn't want mustaches until the inspection is over.

Yep, sounds like he is well within his rights to do this.

Per the Columbus AFB WG/CC, Mustache March is CANCELLED!

Don't think of it as canceling Mustache March, think of it as postponing the entire month. Until the ORI is over, just continue to sign everything off as February - Wednesday will be Feb 30th, Friday will be the 32nd...

But Sir, if it was March, I'd have a mustache.

Sort of like 'out-shoeing' the shoe.

Was asked by a couple of people what Mustache March was, so based on some of what I've learned here, and read in a couple of books, I pounded this out on the keyboard today: "Mustache March and the Legendary Robin Olds"

I'm not a writer, by any stretch, but maybe it will at least partially answer, "Hey, why do all of those guys have mustaches all of a sudden?"

(Any comments, additions and/or corrections are welcome...)

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Mustache March, looks like this former Lex Luthor-bald actor/politician and current crazy person has gotten a premature start of Novemburly.

Don't forget...Govenor of the great state of Minnesota.