HC-130/MC-130

barney

Pulling his thread up from a little while back.  I'm a slick H guy looking for a new home here in a few months.  I'm exploring the other Herk variants and I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the AFSOC MC lifestyle, but HC guys are harder to come by.

Any HC-J guys here able to comment on things like ops tempo/TDY rate, job satisfaction (I've heard Rescue is typically under-utilized), typical flying opportunities while home, is Moody/Valdosta all that bad, career options down the road, training pipeline for someone like me (I've heard about an all-encompassing Kirtland J program, no Little Rock) and any other good nuggets.

Trying to get the full picture.

Cheers!

PM me, I went through in 2013

training pipeline for someone like me (I've heard about an all-encompassing Kirtland J program, no Little Rock)

the full-up syllabus at Kirtland (no Little Rock) is starting 1 Oct - I confirmed today with my colleagues, for both MC-J and HC-J.  They've already been sending CSOs straight here from UNT, apparently, and the rest of the crew positions will begin 1 Oct.

Unsure of the TX course. I am a current HC-J CSO at moody who flew the old P models for a few years as well.

Training is almost identical for HC and MC. Ops tempo including TDY and deployment is roughly 1-1 with deployments being in the 4-5 month range. The mission changes with AOR. Mission was CASEVAC in Afganistan, and rescue alert elsewhere. In some AOR's it is easy to feel under utilized because they are primarily SOF. When the SOF guys do a high risk op, they usually have a SOF backup plan if it goes south leaving rescue as the backup to the backup, but we do get alerted and launched for pop up issues (i did one such mission on my last deployment, we were even the RV, left the helo's at home). In that AOR we also flew some overflow trash hauling missions since the single slick was not enough, and some overflow SOF infil/exfil/resupply since they often needed more airlift than they had.

In more conventional AOR's that involve more fighter and bomber missions we pull airborne or ground alert for those guys as the primary rescue force.

As far as flying opportunities, we honestly get less hours than the MC guys especially since there is a lot of alert time while deployed. At home, it seems the typical schedule will be 7x 5hr sorties per week, which should translate to 1-2 flights per week for most.

As for job satisfaction, it depends greatly on your personality. If your satisfaction comes from being the center of the action and racking up hours, the HC may not be for you. For me the job satisfaction in this community comes from knowing that your presence makes all our guys safer, flying a highly rewarding mission that only occurs occasionally is needed, etc... I really enjoy the launch and have to plan the whole mission on the fly aspect as well. It does take a certain mentality to really love rescue.

Valdosta, imho, is not bad. We are easy weekend trips from many awesome places, there are a few good restaurants and bars in town, the locals are very pro military, but it is definitely country living (pro or con depending on personal preference). If you are into cars there are plenty of activities from off road to autocross to drag racing, a few good gun clubs if you are into shooting, plenty of hunting opportunities.

Morale at the squadron seems to be steadily improving. It seems that a combo of more utilization, many of the bitter types getting out/moving, and the new J capes are having a very positive effect on the community. It does seem that we are trending towards being more involved/utilized and getting more hours.

• Upvote 3

• 4 months later...

So... word on the street is Kirtland's pretty much done with the HC legacy course... i.e. soon to be HC-Js only. What happens to the Guard/Reserve bubbas coming out of LR? (or even brand new UPT grads). 

I'm assuming in-house training at individual ANG/AFRES units could be a possibility for LR grads. Fresh out of UPT folks though... maybe Dobbins and then back home for the HC bit? 

Anyone have the latest on this?

So... word on the street is Kirtland's pretty much done with the HC legacy course... i.e. soon to be HC-Js only. What happens to the Guard/Reserve bubbas coming out of LR? (or even brand new UPT grads). 

I'm assuming in-house training at individual ANG/AFRES units could be a possibility for LR grads. Fresh out of UPT folks though... maybe Dobbins and then back home for the HC bit? 

I was under the impression that AC and EC were the only variants still going through LR, that everyone else had already cut LR entirely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, PK... said:

I'll ask the P dudes tomorrow, they're next row over from me.

3 hours ago, stract said:

I'll ask the P dudes tomorrow, they're next row over from me.

Will be greatly appreciated. 

Have some bros at LR that are kinda in limbo right now. For them it's just to finish up there and wait to see what comes next. 

I'm an ex slick H co-pilot that had enough hours for the slick J transition course which I just finished up. I've got a RIP to Kirtland for MC130J PIQ. Looking at ETCA, the PIQ course makes you an FP in the MC-J and looks to be geared for UPT direct folks. I've got a projected PCS overseas a few months after I finish PIQ. Apparently there is a lack of available TX courses so that's the reason they stuck me in a PIQ course. If I come out of ABQ as an FP do I go through an in-house upgrade to MP once I get to my unit or can I expect to do that after the PIQ in ABQ before I PCS? 

I'm an ex slick H co-pilot that had enough hours for the slick J transition course which I just finished up. I've got a RIP to Kirtland for MC130J PIQ. Looking at ETCA, the PIQ course makes you an FP in the MC-J and looks to be geared for UPT direct folks. I've got a projected PCS overseas a few months after I finish PIQ. Apparently there is a lack of available TX courses so that's the reason they stuck me in a PIQ course. If I come out of ABQ as an FP do I go through an in-house upgrade to MP once I get to my unit or can I expect to do that after the PIQ in ABQ before I PCS? 

This post made me think of this from Good Morning Vietnam

• Upvote 5

On 2/11/2016 at 6:26 PM, Dukeorions said:

doubtful you'll do anything additional in ABQ outside the formal IQ course.  Your PM could also tailor you specifically based on your circumstances, if in fact you were supposed to do a TX but got an IQ slot instead due to availability.  Could being the operative word.  Reach out to your gaining unit to see what they expect you to arrive with, and if that expectation is something other than FP/MC, then they need to reach out to the PM at Kirtland before your arrival for any possibility of tailoring.

After a phone call with base MPF found they had me loaded up for a mission qual after PIQ, they just never notified me of it until I called and specifically asked if I had anything projected for after PIQ. Little disappointing to be going back through PIQ starting with the power-up checklist and ending with a instrument fm8, which i have and is current, but at this rate I'm just ready to get out of AMC. 

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On February 14, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Champ Kind said:

Just rock the mind-numbing easy course and ennui the spare time.

I also wouldn't recommend trying to finagle your way to an MP qual if you didn't already have one.  Even if you don't piss anyone off trying, your ops unit will ignore it once you get there.  If you don't suck, MP upgrade could happen quick and the syllabus is in house training anyways.

Have fun though!  ABQ is awesome.

Edited by AFsock
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Guardian said:

Clovis NM has that. And I'm inclined to not want to be stationed there.

ABQ doesn't smell.  Major airline with direct flights around the country, great for that odd 4 day weekend while you're in training.  Depending on time of year, 2 hr drive to excellent skiing (Taos, Red River, etc).  3ish hrs to Wolf Creek.

On March 7, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Guardian said:

Clovis NM has that. And I'm inclined to not want to be stationed there.

No, Clovis does not.  You're comparing an active, massive college city to a small farming town.

Some examples: Clovis don't even do New Mexican food right (it's all TexMex), there is a single brewery, and except for shooting guns no outdoor activities.

With that being said, it really ain't bad down south, but ABQ is far superior.

Edited by AFsock