HC-130/MC-130

barney

HC-J Schoolhouse is at Kirtland (415SOS vice 550SOS for legacy) following initial qual at Little Rock. Ops tempo is still going to be high, but expect more flying and less sitting alert (at least initially) in the J. DM will get all of their aircraft in the next year, while Moody will gradually phase them in between CY13-15. Guard and Reserve follow.

New aircraft = less breaky, much better performance. Not a whole lot of mission changes, but airframe adds heavy equipment drops and receiver air refueling. Rescue is an amazing mission w/ a small, tightly-knit community including -60 bros and PJs, and get lots of tac flying (yes we do entire sorties VFR). PM me if you want any other info.

• 4 weeks later...

HC-130 units are ACC, and the Guard unit at Moffett (MC-130P's but a rescue squadron with the HC-130 mission) are gained by ACC, but all the MC-130's doing the MC-130 mission are AFSOC to the best of my knowledge.

Ok. That's kinda what I was told but I don't understand the MC-130Ps at Moffet. They're a rescue squadron but use an MC platform instead of HC's? Are they not special ops anymore? I'm curious did their mission change or just the MAJCOM?

I don't know why they are what they are, but I have been chatting with a guy from there while here at Little Rock on TDY. They are definitely a rescue squadron, their mission is rescue, and wear patches with the "K" logo just like the 71st at Moody. I wonder if it was just a matter of what kind of planes were available for the squadron (i.e. they needed a rescue squadron there but only had MC-130P's available) but thats just conjecture. As far as I know the MC-130P and HC-130P are almost identical anyway.

I don't know why they are what they are, but I have been chatting with a guy from there while here at Little Rock on TDY. They are definitely a rescue squadron, their mission is rescue, and wear patches with the "K" logo just like the 71st at Moody. I wonder if it was just a matter of what kind of planes were available for the squadron (i.e. they needed a rescue squadron there but only had MC-130P's available) but thats just conjecture. As far as I know the MC-130P and HC-130P are almost identical anyway.

That's correct, CA ANG--129th Rescue Wing, they fly "MC-130Ps" for Rescue. For the record, most MC-130Ps in the inventory started out as HC-130s modified to perform HAR in Vietnam, then later transferred to AFSOC.

Edited by Crown

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules Variants Declared 'Mission Capable' After U.S. Air Force Testing

MARIETTA, Ga., Nov. 1, 2012 – The Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] HC-130J Combat King II and the MC-130J Commando II aircraft have been certified as “Effective, Suitable and Mission Capable” by the Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center. The U.S. Air Force is currently recapitalizing the HC, MC and AC-130 gunship fleets with new C 130J variants.

The HC-130J is the personnel recovery/combat search and rescue aircraft for Air Combat Command, and the MC-130J is the Special Operations tanker aircraft for Air Force Special Operations Command. Currently Lockheed Martin is on contract for 27 MC 130Js and 15 HC-130Js. The certification was received in October.

“This further demonstrates the amazing flexibility of the C-130J. We took a KC-130J tanker and, through in-line production design changes and significant capability enhancements, produced the current HC and MC aircraft,” said George Shultz, Lockheed Martin vice president and general manager for C-130 Programs. “The C 130J is without equal in terms of its multi-role, multi-mission flexibility and availability. No aircraft in production — or in development — can match the capabilities of the Super Hercules.”

From initial contract award in mid-2008 to the first ahead-of-schedule flight on July 29, 2010, the HC/MC program demonstrates the proven design, reliability and technology of the C-130J. The new AC-130Js will be converted MC-130Js with the addition of a precision strike package.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs about 120,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The corporation's net sales for 2011 were $46.5 billion.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2012/november/lockheed-martin-c-130j-super-hercules-variants-declared--mission.html

• 5 months later...

Is it more common for new MC/HC guys to come from AMC slicks or from some other AFSOC airframe?

I think I've read the answer somewhere before, but I can't find it and it's probably out of date anyway.

I'm in the T-6 at Columbus right now, and I'm wondering what I could do to get in an MC later on if my drop (I know, I know, very far off in the future) isn't what I'm hoping for.

Thanks!

I'm a slick guy going HC-130Js, so what you are asking is possible. Since you are in UPT, just let your flight commander and IPs know you want to go this route and put it number 1 on your dream sheet. Like anything, timing is everything. Best of luck and study hard!

WxMan

Like WX said, its all timing. Some VML's they take half the dudes PCS'ing to MC's or HC's. Sometimes they send every dude to the same slick base with no other options because thats what AFPC needs.

have a friend leaving this weekend to transition to the MC from the EC (he's a CSO/EWO). Is the schoolhouse backed up right now, or does he have a reasonable chance of graduating "on time"?

have a friend leaving this weekend to transition to the MC from the EC (he's a CSO/EWO). Is the schoolhouse backed up right now, or does he have a reasonable chance of graduating "on time"?

There isnt a huge influx of new EWOs now, so he should be alright. The only wait will probably be for the next class to start. PM me if you have any other questions from him.

• 3 months later...

Gents,

My next Shadow assignment changed and I'm heading to the MC-J; new orders have me PCS to Little Rock and still unsure of my follow-on. Anyone been through the school house lately? I'd like to PM or post about the Little Rock and Kirtland portion (length, syllabus etc). How's the manning look at Cannon/Mildy? If I started training in Jan, anyone have a guess on which base I'd head to?

Edited by B*D*A

Gents,

My next Shadow assignment changed and I'm heading to the MC-J; new orders have me PCS to Little Rock and still unsure of my follow-on. Anyone been through the school house lately? I'd like to PM or post about the Little Rock and Kirtland portion (length, syllabus etc). How's the manning look at Cannon/Mildy? If I started training in Jan, anyone have a guess on which base I'd head to?

I finish up Little Rock next week and start Kirtland shortly after. I'm going HC, but the MC guys at Little Rock follow the same syllabus. Are you doing the short course or the long course? The short course is roughly 4 months and the long course is right around 5. The short course has 5 flights then check vs. 8 flights and a check for the long course. You should be paired with another MC/HC guy since we do not do SKE. Expect 6 days a week for the SIMs and about 2-3 days a week flying when you hit the flight line. If you are not flying, you are mission planning and doing GK with instructors. The course is more derived for AMC, so expect to brain dump 95% of what you learn at Little Rock since HC/MC do their own separate thing. I don't know that much about Kirtland other than they are finishing about on time. If you PM in a few weeks, I can give you more insight about ABQ. Best of luck!

WxMan

• 11 months later...

I just finished up JMATS and am getting ready to head to Kirtland for MC-Js, Rumor has it that the school house is pretty backed up. Does anyone have any info on it or is it just a rumor?

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

There is nothing at the 58 SOW that isn't backed up at least a couple months.

Tried to send you a PM about accidentally voting down your post instead of up, but it says your inbox is full.

Right now I'm successfully +1'ing posts with my iPhone at about the same rate of getting ELMO to actually take me where I want it to.

• 1 year later...

Pulling his thread up from a little while back.  I'm a slick H guy looking for a new home here in a few months.  I'm exploring the other Herk variants and I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the AFSOC MC lifestyle, but HC guys are harder to come by.

Any HC-J guys here able to comment on things like ops tempo/TDY rate, job satisfaction (I've heard Rescue is typically under-utilized), typical flying opportunities while home, is Moody/Valdosta all that bad, career options down the road, training pipeline for someone like me (I've heard about an all-encompassing Kirtland J program, no Little Rock) and any other good nuggets.

Trying to get the full picture.

Cheers!

full-up Kirtland will be happening, I think I the near future.  Lockheed is hiring like mad all the brownsuiters they can get their hands on, and they're slowly taking all the cubicles in our building...

I survived Valdumpster for 4 years, so you can, too.  Tucson is awesome.  ABQ is also a nice place to live (in the right part of town).

Sorry I can't fill in any other gaps for the HC bubbas.