Search Function Issues

Guest NoleMet

Guest NoleMet

Went to do a search for PRK in the medical forum and received the following error message:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

• 3 months later...

I also am having search issues. I've tried searching things like "KC-135" or "Nav" or other simple phrases and all I get is.../

You searched for: KC-135

Unfortunately your search didn't return any results.

Try broadening the search parameters by searching by different keywords or altering the format of your search.

Remember to use the wildcard '*' to increase the number of matches. Apple* will match 'apple' and 'apples'.

or

You searched for: C-130

Try broadening the search parameters by searching by different keywords or altering the format of your search.

Remember to use the wildcard '*' to increase the number of matches. Apple* will match 'apple' and 'apples'.

Just wondering what I need to do?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

As the search nazi, I've noticed a problem. Anything that is entered with three letters doesn't produce a result (it shows a similar message as above). I used some very common acronyms like UPT, BAH, and words like "car" - it produces no results in the normal or expanded search. If you do a combined search, it will show returns with the other words, but nothing with the three-letter word. Any ideas?

OK - the search problem has been fixed.

Now as few as 3-character strings will work (including PRK, UPT, C-12, etc.) - However, the change in search configuration will increase server load and users may experience delays (but still end up with the results you want...)

Let me know if it is functioning better now (albeit with a slight delay).

Seems to work fine - I've cleaned out a bunch of old threads on popular topics that had multiple-pages of threads (LASIK, IFS, vision, etc.) with minimal responses.

When you fixed the three-digit search problem, did you do something to the "Advanced Search Help" button on the expanded search option page? It was up by the "Search by keywords" container on the top left.

• 10 months later...

I think the 3 letter search gremlin may be back. I tried searching for CFI and got nothing. I even tried to expanded options, and just looked in thread titles, still got nothing, even thought there was a thread that a noob started with CFI in the title.

Thoughts?

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Cap

I believe you are right. I just tried searching on 'CFI' and got the following...

And of course it should have picked up your post.

However, I don't know what to do to fix this. If BaseOps doesn't come up on this thread, I'll let him know...

Cheers! M2

• 4 months later...
Any changes to this? Trying to search for any threads on PIT and getting the three letter error. Tried Randolph, FAIP, etc, but nothing definitive is coming up.

Unfortunately the three-letter search process is still not functional. However, I have tried to keep searching easier by modifying any thread titles with three-letter acronyms to the spelled-out version along with the acronym. So if you use the expanded search function to search for "Instructor" (yields fewer results than "Pilot" or "Training") you find Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

DFRESH

I did a search on the name 'Bergdahl' and it came back with one hit from the following thread..

However, that name was mentioned several times in the 'Leaving Afghanistan' thread.

Oddly enough, doing a Google search against the following parameters also only returned the one hit:

Bergdahl site:http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums

Any idea why the search function isn't working properly?

Cheers! M2

Hmmmm....I tried the same and got the same results, so it's not the forum but Google. Odd.

Maybe we ought to remove Google from the search options then...