Any Bourbon Drinkers?

ClearedHot

Jim Beam is a staple in my house but for for some good sippin' whisky I'd have to go with Booker's and Baker's. Pricey but worth it. Then again there's nothing better than going toe to toe with a bottle of Jimmy on a friday night (Bastard usually wins).

Here's to you Mr. whisky putting in a barrel man! :salut:

Cooter

I'm with Cooter.

I buy a bottle of Bookers whenever I can find it, but Makers is my standby.

It annoys the crap out of me that my local VI never has either.

Ahhh, Jack- known around here as "the nectar of the gods!!"

Since baseopsapalooza v1.0 never happened....may I suggest a "drinking tour of TN/KY" this summer? I've been trying to talk the wife into it, but she's having none of it. The idea would be to hit Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, and Jim Beam distilleries, then maybe make stops at the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY, and finally end up at the AF Museum in Dayton, or maybe the Louisville air show this summer. Comments?

If this happens, give me a heads-up. I live about 30 minutes from Lynchburg. We can start here and then move on down to the tour. My squadron buys a barrel or two of Single Barrell every year. You get well over 120 bottles per barrel and we sell it to squadron and wing members. All bottles have a medallion with picture of the herk and squadron/wing name. Jimmy Bedford, the head distiller signs every barrel. The first two ended up as a glass top table in the squadron bar. The last one was given to a visiting Belgian C-130 that came over and did some training/partying with us.

Jack Daniels, and only Jack Daniels for me. Nothing wrong with Maker's Mark or Knob Creek (besides Knob Creek's name), Jim Beam just doesn't taste right, Crown is for girls, and Wild Turkey is a cheap substitute. But Jack on the rocks - mixed with nothing, except possibly more Jack (no water, no Coke, and DEFINITELY never Diet Coke) - is the way to go. Although one thing I will say, is when I am out and about and Jack is the poison of choice (over beer), I am way more inclined to do some dumb stuff than with beer or anything else. But man it's good.

Ive been drinking Bourbon for years (im from KY).....You should try Woodford Reserve sometime, by far the best Bourbon ive had.

A very fine Bourbon not mentioned yet is Buffalo Trace. Recently voted the number one Bourbon with a smooth taste. Luckily I live in Louisville and the best Bourbons are made 30 minutes south of my house. Knob Creek is good as well as Woodford Reserve. My squadron goes through about three bottles a week (debrief purposes of course) and we change it up between Makers, Trace, Creek and the Old Rot Gut fave "Rebel Yell". Bourbon's for sippin', and best tasted on the rocks with a sprig of cold clear water.

Jack is TN Whiskey not Bourbon...we may need an entirely new thread to discuss the difference between Bourbon, TN Whiskey, Rye, Scotch and Canadien Whisky. That's right Whisky is spelled differently depending on what you're talking about. Whisky...Whiskey...I love it so....

Cooter

PS I'm definitley up for a Whiskeypalooza...80 days of leave I need to burn!

Jack is TN Whiskey not Bourbon...we may need an entirely new thread to discuss the difference between Bourbon, TN Whiskey, Rye, Scotch and Canadien Whisky. That's right Whisky is spelled differently depending on what you're talking about. Whisky...Whiskey...I love it so....

Cooter

PS I'm definitley up for a Whiskeypalooza...80 days of leave I need to burn!

Good call there - my stupid. I forgot. I'm all for some conversation about that.

I will say though, I can only think of a handful of times that I've actually enjoyed a glass of Scotch.

Ive been drinking Bourbon for years (im from KY).....You should try Woodford Reserve sometime, by far the best Bourbon ive had.

Just had some last weekend and completely agree. No hangover the next day, either.

Next weekend is gonna be our blind taste test of Bookers, Woodford, Knob Creek, Makers, and Jack... Details to follow. Oh and Jack and Coke might be known as "America's cocktail" but Bourbon with ginger ale and a wedge of lime does it for me.

Guest TheBurt

Jack but I won't turn down Jim, George, Makers, Turkey, Knob Creek. All of the above are to be sipped with ice and maybe with a little water. And every now and then Coke, usn's in North Carolina will mix Jack with a little sun drop. Q: Why is a Jack Daniels bottle square? A: So it won't roll out from under the seat when the Highway Patrol stops you.

Just bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack to drink with the folks tonight. Parents are in town so I'm on leave all week. I pulled the bottle off the shelf, and my mom tells me: "I used to put Jack Daniels on your pacifier when you were a baby to calm you down!" Well now that explains a lot! I wonder if that's why I've forgotten so many things in 29 years...

Just bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack to drink with the folks tonight....

I just enjoyed an entire bottle of that wonderful stuff while at the sim at KIKR. God Bless the KIKR Class IV... great prices... decent selection... and great hours... even for us night owls. $20 for a bottle of Gentleman Jack... Why choose anything less?

The billeting office even had ice machines that worked when we got back to the room! What else could a guy want!? Well.. I suppose that's a whole new thread all-together *chuckle*.

Cheers! :jd:

Linda

Guest Trunk Monkey

Well this is a thread worth busting my fruit on... My groomsmen hooked me up with some bar stockage at my bachelor’s party last month. They got me both Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve along with some other stuff, and I have to say that for me woodford is better straight, but knob kicks ass in a manhattan. In return, they all got a bottle of Bulleit (my favorite) an some Davidoff Millenniums at the rehearsal dinner. To tell you the truth I could hardly wait to get back from my honeymoon :bohica: to partake. Heh.

To the liquor cabinet.

Trunk out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest soonerwings

Woodford reserve is a damn fine bourbon. I'd have to call it my favorite although I'd love to get my hands on a bottle of Buffalo Trace just to see if it lives up to the hype. Makers mark is a great standby and they also happen to make an EXCELLENT bourbon infused cigar that compliments a cold drink quite nicely. As far as Jack Daniels goes I'll only drink it at the deid....since that's about all they have there that resembles whiskey.

I went to the makers mark ambassador weekend recently and had a chance to try the bookers masterpiece at a bourbon bar in Lexington...$35/oz and well worth it. The bartender said IF you can find one, its $200-300 a bottle. Woodford Reserve is also very good.

Guest rumblefish_2

Old Weller is the best Bourbon I've ever tasted. Comes from the Buffalo Trace folks. For those that said Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, etc. it's time to branch out. That's like saying your favorite beer is Bud, Coors, or Miller. All decent drinks, but c'mon...I think Beam even has a distillery in Ohio. Blasphemy.

Guest SATCOM

Just picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, at the Class VI. Moderately priced and smooth sippin. A little info to wet your appetite:

Elijah Craig 12-year-old is a true Small Batch premium Bourbon, and had that distinction before the term even existed. Bottled exclusively from a dumping of 100 barrels or less, the brand carries the name of Rev. Elijah Craig, the Baptist minister widely considered the "Father of Bourbon." He discovered the method of making true Kentucky Bourbon when his stored his wares in barrels that had been charred in a fire. Elijah Craig is highly acclaimed - it was awarded "Best of the Best Bourbon" in 2001 by Whisky Magazine and received a Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Whiskey expert Stuart MacLean Ramsay writes, "Rich, full bodied and warming with sweet oak, caramel and rye flavors; thick finish with notes of licorice and vanilla."

Oh, how it glides down....I think I'll light a Macanudo....

Guest ukwxbelle
Jack Daniels is Tennessee Whiskey, not Bourbon. Bourbon used to have to come from the county in Kentucky to be called Bourbon, but I think that is no longer the law. I do know however, that since JD goes through a charcoal filter it is not Bourbon, but Tennessee Whiskey.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Bourbon County was named for Bourbon. Usually the history sites tell you that. Fact: Bourbon County is DRY. I'm glad many people pointed out that it must be made in Kentucky to be called a bourbon. As a Kentucky girl I've had this fight more than once. Maker's 'n' Coke is my drink all the way.

My Mom is moving back to KY after 3 yrs of being away. So for her Mother's Day/Housewarming present, I bought her a bottle of Maker's Mark.

Guest Razorback10

Crown and Coke. I know quality when I see it.

Now back to my pog collection...

Guest John Cocktoston
Makers is great, but the best bang for your buck is Wild Turkey 101. I like to start things off with a glass or two of Makers on the rocks, but finish the night strong with Wild Turkey.

Wild Turkey 101 is great stuff, but it should come with a Superman cape and bail money strapped to the side of the bottle. One other possible add-on would be a "Don't talk to me if you're ugly, because I don't know the difference" T-shirt.