Recruiting in ROTC

Guest OfficerIn2008

Guest OfficerIn2008

I have recently found out that my job in the det for next semester is recruiting. I was wondering if any of you could let me know some of the things your det does for recruiting, that really work in getting people. Please help me out!

Go to the high schools. My whole time in high school I only had an air force officer recruiter come in once in 4 years. He was there primarily for the AIr Force Academy which the majority of students wouldn't qualify for in the first place.

Showing high school students who are bound for college but not ivy league material an opportunity in the military could have a large effect.

EDIT: I'd love to have this duty in the det. I'm a senior in high school going ROTC next year, at what point are you able to do this and do you have the choice or is it sort of assigned to you?

[ 28. April 2006, 10:28: Message edited by: JasonG ]

Check and see if your school as job/career fairs and get a table/booth at those things...you could easily catch some Fresh/Soph who just didn't know about ROTC. HS is a really good thing, try to keep that a regular thing in the local area...maybe up to an hour a way or so.

Jason - You get jobs your first semester of Junior year, rotating every semester. You can get them based soley on assignment or on a mix of assignment/you asked for it. That's a ways down the road, so don't need to think about it now, just think about kicking ass so that when you do get there, people will listen when you tell them what you want.

Oh yeah, of course you're in a flight as a freshman and might be tasked to help out the flight commander or such, but you will actually get a job your junior year...meaning your in charge of that position and will get good/bad recognition for how you do.

Judging by the thread starter's name, he'll be a POC in the Fall. We're talking about a POC job position, not a GMC volunteer thing.

I had that job my junior year as well. We did alot of high schools, and mostly advertised the scholarships available and Air Force opportunities. It sells itself to those that are interested. Hitting the JROTC units is a good spot too.

Guest OfficerIn2008

What are some of the things you did to try and recruit current freshman and sophomores?

Guest uniballvisionmicro
Originally posted by JasonG:

Go to the high schools. My whole time in high school I only had an air force officer recruiter come in once in 4 years. He was there primarily for the AIr Force Academy which the majority of students wouldn't qualify for in the first place.

Showing high school students who are bound for college but not ivy league material an opportunity in the military could have a large effect.

EDIT: I'd love to have this duty in the det. I'm a senior in high school going ROTC next year, at what point are you able to do this and do you have the choice or is it sort of assigned to you?

Not that the academy isnt ivy league, but most kids wont qualify? Ouch. So ROTC is the dumping spot for all the dummies? Ha ha.

Originally posted by uniballvisionmicro:

I meant more that the VAST majority of high school students aren't ready to commit themselves to a 4-year military academy. Also, no the majority of people aren't able to get into Ivy League schools, otherwise they would be overcrowded. As much as I'd like to say I'm Harvard material, I'm not. My game isn't so much in literature and the classics as it is aviation and technical stuff (practical things).

Just because you don't go to Harvard doesn't mean you are a "dummy." In fact, I think ROTC is a great officer recruiting source based on the diversity of schools and majors, as well as the majority of commissioned officers.

Here is a little someting to get this tread back on track. Create a photo album of things the Cadet Corps has done both in the ROTC environment and of appropriate pics of cadets doing things together such as shooting trips, base visits, LLABs etc. Then just leave this album in the hands of the Recruiting officer to take to events to show what we do in addition to talking about it.

Guest V1vaLaRob
Originally posted by Vandal905:

Here is a little someting to get this tread back on track. Create a photo album of things the Cadet Corps has done both in the ROTC environment and of appropriate pics of cadets doing things together such as shooting trips, base visits, LLABs etc. Then just leave this album in the hands of the Recruiting officer to take to events to show what we do in addition to talking about it.

Im not in ROTC yet, but this sort of thing made me want to go to GMU (ROTC) instead of VT (ROTC, But military school like). They had pictures on the website of them doing BBQ's, playing paintball, and just having a good time.

Also, alot of the pictures where of the cadets in civilian clothes. Which makes people who are a little worried about the military alot more comfortable.

-Rob

Guest Hydro130

I'm dating myself here, but there used to be "Gold Bar" recruiting program for ROTC/Zoo grads (mid/late-90s)...

Is that still around?

If not, many ROTC NCOs have recruiting backgrounds... If you don't have one at your Det, ask him/her to ping their buddies to see if there's not some "expert advice" somewhere in the area...

Best of luck, Hydro

EDIT: Including the Zoomie...

[ 30. April 2006, 18:53: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]