Osan AB info

Guest viperwife

Guest viperwife

Anyone been to Osan on a command sponsored accompanied tour. My husband and I just got orders and are trying to find out info about going together. Any info from people who have been to Osan would be appreciated.

Guest AirGuardian

Passed thru Osan and the Kunnnn plenty of times, but never PCS'd there. According to one of AD guys here he was at both and brought his wife with him to Osan vs Kun of course. You should be able to go together(same flight) and figure out things on base together. Or several of the guys here at ACSC indicate that they went earlier than their spouses(about a week) to get the lay of the area and housing issues, etc done so their spouses could basically just hang out waiting for their shipment of goods to arrive. Try to spend some time off together with your family(both sides of course) before you leave. If he goes first, he should have all the necessary items for you by the time you get there. Hopefully you won't have to spend too much time in your suitcase, but they seem to have it down better than in the past since they've been doing rotations for quite awhile.

If you have more specific questions, I can pass them on to our resident expert in my seminar who had several tours at both bases! Good luck!

• 3 years later...

www.airforcecrossroads.com or something like that, would give you some great information regarding spouses and jobs on base.

I read--somewhere-- that jobs on base go by this priority list

first priority: Vet's/Retired

Second: Spouse's of AD members (as well as spouse's of retired memebers)

thrid: Civillians

• 5 years later...

Thread revival.

Heading unaccompanied to Osan for a short tour. Anybody know what the unaccompanied FGO dorms are like?

Live off base on the economy!

You can live in a 3 bed/2 bath apartment and be able to get away from the base during the exercise weeks.

Off base at Osan is the shit. Do it if you can!

Had a 4 bedroom apartment w/heated floors, bidet, heated parking garage, security system and it rocked. South Korean internet is way fast (shitty on base), so Skype, streaming HD, iTunes...way nice.

Furniture is a bit hard to come by for a reasonable price. Try to get some basics included in your rental. That's not unusual. I had a bed, table, couch, coffee table, and chairs included. A couple hundred bucks at the BX later, you're pretty much G2G.

Bring the family and have a blast. Cabs from Songtan to the local apartment complexes are just a few thousand gonk (< $5).

I'd go back in a heartbeat. My liver on the other hand...

Thanks for the info! The family is staying home, and I'll need my BAH to cover the house. If I move off base, won't I lose that and pick up OHA? Roughly how much do apartments run over there?

You get to keep your BAH if you're unaccompanied. OHA will be granted if your CC and the housing office agree that living off base is warranted (ie, if the dorms are at/close to capacity).

OHA isn't like BAH...you don't get to keep the overage. Apartments can cost anywhere from 1.4K to 3K per month, depending on location/size/amenities (standard).

Off base at Osan is the shit. Do it if you can!

Had a 4 bedroom apartment w/heated floors, bidet, heated parking garage, security system and it rocked. South Korean internet is way fast (shitty on base), so Skype, streaming HD, iTunes...way nice.

Furniture is a bit hard to come by for a reasonable price. Try to get some basics included in your rental. That's not unusual. I had a bed, table, couch, coffee table, and chairs included. A couple hundred bucks at the BX later, you're pretty much G2G.

Bring the family and have a blast. Cabs from Songtan to the local apartment complexes are just a few thousand gonk (< $5).

I'd go back in a heartbeat. My liver on the other hand...

2. Same. This is what I did and it is definitely the way to go!

• 2 years later...

Revival - Had orders to Hawaii - that just changed with a phone call.  Off to the RoK...  One question I wonder if anyone might have info on as I don't yet have a sponsor.

Being assigned to a key billet/controlled tour - which is good for Command Sponsorship - but is that gonna require that I live on base? Can't find anything on what the policy is for housing but really prefer to be off base.

zb

There are many command sponsored individuals who live off base. The ability to live off base depends on timing and occupancy rates. I don't know of anyone in a key billet that lives off base though, so there could be some O-5 only policy I'm not aware of. 

IMO, off base provides higher quality of life and is worth the short commute.