Sabers

Guest kmoore00

Guest kmoore00

My buddy graduated from the Navel Academy and is getting married in a month. I am in the Air Force and will be the only one from the AF in the saber guard; the rest will be navy dudes and marines. He wants everyone to wear their service dress equivalent and not mess dress. I was wondering what uniform I should wear be it mess dress or service dress. Can you wear your saber in service dress? Also, what customs do you follow when the saber guard will be a mixed service detail? Can I even participate? What are the additional items required for the uniform when doing this ceremony? Last, can I buy this all of this stuff on base or do I need to order it from the web? I am sure I could borrow from someone, but my Mom called today and said she wanted to buy it, so I may as well take advantage. Thanks.

If you want the definite answer, try to find it in AFI 36-2903. That being said, my responses are best guess, not based on 36-2903 (I searched for a couple key words, but couldn't find anything specifically related to what you're looking for).

I was wondering what uniform I should wear be it mess dress or service dress. Can you wear your saber in service dress?
I have never seen service dress at a wedding, though I don't imagine there is a regulation against it. Same with wearing the saber - this may actually be in an honor guard reg.

Also, what customs do you follow when the saber guard will be a mixed service detail?
Military customs are all fairly similar, but if there are any discrepancies I would say follow guidance of the primary service.

What are the additional items required for the uniform when doing this ceremony?
I had eight of my buddies act as saber bearers for my wedding, all they needed was a saber and sheath.

Last, can I buy this all of this stuff on base or do I need to order it from the web?
If you're friend wants you to be a saber bearer, he ought to be doing the legwork on this. That being said, I've never seen swords sold on base - if you're going to buy one you'll probably have to buy it on the web. The military clothing shop may be able to steer you in the direstion. If the only thing you need is a sword, I would get in touch with your base honor guard (Wing protocol can get you in touch with them) and ask to borrow a sword - this is what I did for my wedding. If nothing else, they should know where you can purchase one.

Guest Trojanlud

I was on a Saber drill team, we did weddings and such, Service Dress is ok, we also wore gun belts to hold the baldrics (the white strap that goes over your shoulder) in place. www.paradestore.com has a selection of Sabers and AF officer's swords.

Guest lightning4eva

I'm a prior E and getting commissioned in May and...also in my 3rd Saber Team in September in Albany. I'm a former Honor Guard member from Otis. You should be able to borrow/sign out 4-8 sabers w/out a problem. Just hope the wedding isn't around Memorial Day b/c most Honor Guards will use up all their equipment that weekend.

I've always worn Mess Dress

Toro pretty much answered all your questions, I had a saber guard at my wedding but it was all my USAF buds. We purposely had one bud, a female, at the end of the line so she could swat me in the butt with the saber (it is tradition for the last guy in the saber detail to swat the butt of the bride, but to make it fair I got swatted as well!).

Best you talk with your bud about the uniform, as like Toro I have never been to a formal wedding that wasn't mess dress for military personnel. Now, a justice of the peace wedding might be in service dress (a.k.a. Class A's for the Army types), but if he is going to have a saber guard it is pretty much a formal wedding!

Lastly, as for the sabers don't worry too much about it, just go with what they can get their hands on (saber-wise, that is) as you will only be wearing it at the end of the wedding, once the nuptials are all done and the groom kisses the bride and all that jazz. That is the saber team's cue to get geared up and formed up outside of the church. Just try to look and act as a team, and you'll be fine. Seriously, even if you hose it up, what's anyone going to do, give you a LOR or something? This isn't a Gold Bond Powder video we're talking about here!

And one last last, enjoy the day, at least you're not the one getting married! :eek:

Cheers! M2

I'll try to help you with your question, keep in mind I've been out since 95' and no longer am in possesion of the approriate AFI. (Heck in my day, it was AFR 35-10.) But, I did spend four years as the NCOIC of the Colors Element in the USAF Honor Guard at Bolling, AND I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Your friend's wishes and the fact that this will be a joint service ceremony are the primary guiding principles for what to wear. As an AF Officer participating in a ceremony, whatever form of ceremonial uniform the AF proscribes would be approriate for you to wear. (Service Dress w/white shirt, see the applicable AFI for accoutrements.) In lieu of puchasing the Air Force Ceremonial Belt from Vanguard, ($$$) there is no real need to have a belt, scabbard or frog. (A frog is that little leather flap that allows you to attach the scabbard/chain to your belt.)

Here's some other protocol: Being the senior, service, the Navy OIC will be in charge, with the jarhead and yourself attached to the end of the formation furthest away from the chappel. The OIC should stand five feet behind the center of the right-hand line. (As one leaves the church) Latch on to the Marine for any assistance concerning your sabre manuals, he or she will have their sierra together.

Drop me a PM if you need any help. Wedding cordons are probably the ceremony I did the least of, but that having been said, I've still knocked out dozens. Regardless, just go and have fun. Who cares what uniform you're in, as long as you look sharp. Your USNA peers will know what to do.

• 9 months later...

Sabers are gay unless you're in the Marines. I have only heard of getting a saber if you get some kind of AFROTC award, I think it's top cadet or something. Either way, unless you're in the Marines sabers are gay...

EDIT: I have awful grammar.

[ 25. January 2006, 21:14: Message edited by: cb03t ]

'2' The only kick a$$ ones are the Marine NCO Sabers. I was part of a saber arch for a Joint Military Ball my det was a part of and the AF sabers we used were The one thing that made the night good was the recognition from the cadre and the arm candy I had with me.

Does anyone know why the AF has sabers anyway? We never had a cavalry or air cav. Perhaps a carry over from the army?

I understand that some Det's give them as recognition to the Cadet/CC at the end of the year...

Either way they are unnecessary at the least, decoration and ceremonial at best.

That website is WAY over-priced. You can find them for 100 bucks or better on Ebay if youre lucky.

Try here:

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/webstore/eCa...0s%20Sword.aspx

Still pricey, but not as bad.

Chuck

[ 25. January 2006, 22:01: Message edited by: ChuckFlys17s ]

Guest illini52

Sabers are curved; swords are straight. The AF (to my knowledge) only has swords and they are pretty

Each of our wing kings gets one at the end of the year.

Guest GummiBear

Giving the wing king a sword/saber is not only but a waste of money. Who is really going to keep it in thier office 10 years from now? It is just going to end up in the back of some closet or on ebay. I think being done with the cadet BS was more than enough of a reward when I passed on the wing/cc position to the next cadet.

I have encountered some tools already that I could imagine not only proudly displaying their "cadet" sword/saber/cutlery/whatever 10 or 20 years down the road, but also actually wearing it with their mess dress or something.

But hey, we need people like that, to make the rest of us look cool!

Guest TomandFle

Uh... I didn't get one when I graduated from the Zoo. I think they might only give them to the cadet wing or group commanders or Sabre Drill...

Hell, I don't know. Maybe I just missed out.

Guest TomandFle

I just remembered something... you could buy one for your parents or someone else special. They would put it in a display case over the mantle, or you could hang it in your office for your whole career. I just couldn't afford $300 worth of coolness.

• 2 months later...
Guest AceLaRue

If your det doesn't have them get in contact with another ROTC det or a JROTC unit in the area. Our det signs them out to guard units and other dets when they want to perform sabre arches so I am sure others do the same.

Guest AceLaRue

Oh-and I think we follow Army guidelines for sabre drill, but someone else will have to tell you what reg it is because I don't remember.

Call the Honor Guard at your nearest base. They should have them and may lend them to you. I got a set of them for my wedding from the Columbus AFB Honor Guard. As for the etiquette, I just had my guys wear them in their mess dress when the ceremony was over and as the bride and I walked out, somebody gave a "Present Arms" call and they raised them to form the arch with the traditional slap on the ass by the last guy.

Guest Saluki CSO

There is a specific manual of arms for a saber arch. the AF does use the Army manual for this occasion. I have personally done 3 weddings and it always works out well. And all of the members of the saber arch should be in service dress...like any other honor guard function.