ROTC: Two/three vs four year program

Guest siccmade5150

Guest siccmade5150

for those who went the 2 year POC route and skipped the first 2 years of AFROTC, how hard is it to get adjusted to everything having missed the first 2 years? and is it that much harder to do well in FT because of everything you missed out on? im just saying this because this is the path I plan to take.

I did the 4 year route, but know a few that did the 2 year program.

FT isn't a problem, as you will be taught in a 6 week program where they will try to get you up to speed.

As far as jumping right into a POC position, the wingstaff should put you in a position where you will be able to learn the ropes and still show your worth. Don't worry if you don't know anything about your job, you should have someone helping you or a binder telling you what and how to do your job.

From what I have seen, the 2 year cadets often do a better job then most and care about ROTC more b/c they are on their first year, whereas other cadets are on their 3rd, and are in some stage of burnout.

Good luck.

I did the two year program - you obviously can't get everything from two years crammed into a couple extra weeks at field training (I believe you'll go to a six week vice four week FT), but it's pretty damn close. Mostly I felt like I wasn't quite 'in' with everybody else because they had all known each other since freshman year and I was the fat kid showing up late to the party.

As far as FT performance, it won't matter since you'll be at the six-week FT with a bunch of other people who are in the same boat.

Guest siccmade5150

haha, well thanks for clearing that up toro. I always thought that during FT, the 6 week FT kids were in the same group as the 4 week bunch. damn, well that makes me feel a lot better about doing well in FT

Guest cbire880

I know it used to be that way, but IIRC one of my college roommates had to go to the longer FT and he just showed up a week or two early in 2002. Things might have changed, they always do. Someone currently in ROTC would have the best answer.

I also did the two year program. My first semester was spent as a GMC, and second semester as POC but with a requirement to participate in all field training prep activities. Back then (2001 timeframe), there was a 4 week, 5 week, and 7 week FT. The 4 week were for the 3 and 4 year cadets. The 5 week was for the 2 year program cadets and the 7 week was for the 1 year program (the 7 week cadets just showed up two weeks early and finished the last 5 weeks with the 5 week campers).

As far as doing well in ROTC, no, it's not hard. Just be committed, listen to your classmates and be ready to learn. It helps if you have some background of some sort in drilling, and other military aspects, etc. but it won't hurt you too bad if you don't.

You may also find that when you return from FT, you are on par with your fellow cadets in your year group and have the options to hold any position that they could hold (some of the higher jobs in the wing - if you so choose).

• 2 months later...
Guest MikeB

Hey guys, I tried searching with little success and was curious about which would be better. I was curious if a 4 year program would have some advantages or disadvantages compared to a 2 year program. I really don't know that much about ROTC and wanted to see what some of you guys had to say. Would a 4 year program give me a better shot getting accepted in UPT? Of course I still have a few years before I go to college so plenty of time to think about it. Thanks.

With the 4-year program, the biggest thing is your cadre gets to know you. Can be a good or a bad thing, depending on the person. If you're sharp- great. If you're a slacker, well, yeah.

With the 2-year program, you've got to be sharp if you want to go to UPT. Your pilot application will be going in appx 5 months after you start ROTC, so the cadre don't have long to get to know you. Commander's rating makes up a big portion of the application (~50%). Also, your Field Training score (~10$ IIRC) is set at '5' or average. So you've got your work cut out in the 2-year program, but its possible. A guy at my Det did the two year thing- ended up graduating as a DG from our Det last year and is now at UPT.

Since you've got time, I'd suggest applying for a ROTC scholarship when the time comes (Senior year of high school) and doing the 4-year program (that's what I did). Maybe look in to the Air Force Academy too

Guest ShineR

Yeah I agree with 4year. I did a three year program, but this year I was in competition for UPT with a bunch of 5th year seniors and an old cadre. It makes it tough...

Guest siccmade5150

what about those who are transfering from another school to finish their degree and get into the 2 year course? should they wait it out and go to OTS or try and get into ROTC?

There's absolutely no reason to not do the 4 yr with the exception of you wanting to be a slack ass your first 2 yrs. Just suck it up, do the 4 yrs and you'll most likely have a way better shot at UPT. Don't screw yourself over by doing the 2 yr.

Guest siccmade5150

i would do the 4 yr but my community college doesnt have the ROTC program here and the nearest det is about an hour away. so i guess im just going to have to work a little harder to get into the POC when I transfer to a campus that does have ROTC

siccmade, I'd suggest going in and talking with that ROTC det and see if they've got a crosstown school agreement with your community college. My bet is that they probably do, or can work something out. If that doesn't work out, keep your grades up, stay in shape and apply for the 2-year thing.

If there's anyway for you to do the 4-year program, that'll be your best bet. Either way, good luck

Originally posted by brabus:

There's absolutely no reason to not do the 4 yr with the exception of you wanting to be a slack ass your first 2 yrs. Just suck it up, do the 4 yrs and you'll most likely have a way better shot at UPT. Don't screw yourself over by doing the 2 yr.

I agree- if you know you want to go ROTC and eventually AF, why wait?

unless you are a sopohomore in college right now and woke up one day and realize the AF is right for you
That's pretty much the only reason someone should go for the 2 or 3 yr programs. Even if you don't go to a school with a det, you can almost be 100% sure that the nearest det will work with you from a crosstown standpoint.

• 5 months later...
Guest markkyle66

I was just curious... are cadets in the 2 year program less likely to be in the running for pilot/nav slots? It's a given you won't have as much face time at the det as others and you'll have to work harder to get the same considerations as other cadets. If you kick tail on the afoqt, keep a good gpa, and do good at feild training will it make much of a difference? Just curious. I tried searching but didn't find much pertaining to what I was asking. Thanks for any info guys!

I'm pretty sure there is no two-year program for pilots/navs. Only for medical positions. You're supposed to have a minimum of three years in ROTC now. At least, that's what I was told, and why I transferred to a four-year university in the middle of my sophomore year. Hope that helps.

If you actually want to be a pilot, do 4 yrs of ROTC, or the bare minimum: 3. If you're already a junior, then pick up another major or a masters that will keep you in ROTC/college for 3-4 yrs. If you're only a freshman/sophomore, stop being lazy and get your ass in ROTC so you have a shot at pilot.

Guest markkyle66

Thank you very much for the timely response guys! Family issues kept me from being able to participate for this fall semester unfortunatley. I'm currently a sophmore and it's looking like it will take me the better part of 3 years to graduate. Is it possible to get in AFROTC in the middle of this school year (for the spring 07 semster) Thanks again guys.

So you can't do it FOR SURE this semester? I guess I can't see what could possibly keep you from doing it this semester vs. next semester, but I suppose there's always the possibility of something that extenuating (sp?). If you absolutely cannot get into it this semester, you certainly can start next semester (Spring 07) and be just fine. However, think of next semester as your ABSOLUTE LAST CHANCE to 1) Do ROTC and 2) Have a shot at flying for the Air Force (yes that's not entirely true, but think that way and it might help you have that extra drive). I would do all you could to handle ROTC this semester in conjunction w/ your family issues...plus why is it that family issues preclude you from being able to handle ROTC this semester, but not next semester? I don't think family issues are a timed thing...who knows when they'll subside.

I'm currently a sophmore and it's looking like it will take me the better part of 3 years to graduate
There's the key...as long as you can do ROTC for 3 yrs, you should be fine...just like downbeat said. Do whatever you can to start next semester, then since it's going to take you 3 yrs anyways, there won't be any problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stusakss

I guess things have changed...I graduated in Dec 2000, I just did 1.5 years, and I had to double up a AS300 and AS400 class in one sememster to do that. When I joined up, I didn't even want to fly, the age went up while I was there and viola....they made me one of the dudes I hated my first 8 years as an E-dog. Glad it happened though.

Bottom line, all the rules are flexible, it all depends how bad they need folks that year.

Yeah, they were still doing the 2 yr gig until about 2 years ago as far as I know. At that point they stopped hurting for people and thus stopped offering it. The chances of it coming back are getting slimmer by the day, though it'll probably happen at some point down the road when the AF realizes they've fvcked themselves by dumping so many people.