ROTC: Two/three vs four year program

Guest siccmade5150

Guest AspiringPilot

No longer possible. They don't offer extended Field Training anymore.

"There are two different Field Training units:

Standard Field Training Unit: This standard Field Training unit is designed for cadets in the four-year Air Force ROTC program. (The two-year program and the last two years of the four-year program are identical except for entry procedures.)

Extended Field Training Unit: This extended Field Training unit is designed for applicants to the two-year Air Force ROTC program. The five-week Field-Training unit requires an additional 60 hours of academics, which are equal to the 60 hours of on-campus academics taken by four-year cadets during their freshman and sophomore years."

AFROTC Website

Edited by AspiringPilot

"There are two different Field Training units:

Standard Field Training Unit: This standard Field Training unit is designed for cadets in the four-year Air Force ROTC program. (The two-year program and the last two years of the four-year program are identical except for entry procedures.)

Extended Field Training Unit: This extended Field Training unit is designed for applicants to the two-year Air Force ROTC program. The five-week Field-Training unit requires an additional 60 hours of academics, which are equal to the 60 hours of on-campus academics taken by four-year cadets during their freshman and sophomore years."

AFROTC Website

They don't offer extended Field Training anymore. You have to have taken both 100 and 200 level AS courses before you can go. The website doesn't reflect any of the changes that have occurred this year (extended FT, 2 year program, PDTs).

As for doing the two year program, you most likely can't. They aren't approving 2 semester POC anymore, so you have to spend a full two years as a POC. The fastest you could do ROTC these days is 3 years, and even that's unlikely with how competitive FT slots have become. Check into it though, as I'm not the UAO at the Det near you.

Guest AspiringPilot

They don't offer extended Field Training anymore. You have to have taken both 100 and 200 level AS courses before you can go. The website doesn't reflect any of the changes that have occurred this year (extended FT, 2 year program, PDTs).

As for doing the two year program, you most likely can't. They aren't approving 2 semester POC anymore, so you have to spend a full two years as a POC. The fastest you could do ROTC these days is 3 years, and even that's unlikely with how competitive FT slots have become. Check into it though, as I'm not the UAO at the Det near you.

Spoke with my nearest Det today, basically I would have to do 3 years of ROTC which would mean I would have to graduate a year later so in total be in school for 5 years...There's no way I'm gonna do that, looks like OTS it is...I'm pretty bummed, I wish I knew I wanted to do AFROTC when it was time for college applications, or at least freshman year of college. I can't really blame myself though, having to make that kind of decision at just 17 years old is a little ridiculous, I'm 20 years old now and so much more mature and definitely would be able to make a life changing decision like this now.

Edited by AspiringPilot

Just glanced through this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents. I did a three year ROTC program. I'm graduating this year and headed off to pilot training this summer. If it were me, an extra year of school would not deter me from ROTC. I would add some classes to my schedule that I was interested in, make each semester very manageable. I know guys that have had to cram a bunch of classes into each semester and it makes getting good grades much more difficult for them. I took two years off school for meaningful service and other activities and it really doesn't make a big difference as far as your age goes. Its your decision though, do what you feel strongly about.

Spoke with my nearest Det today, basically I would have to do 3 years of ROTC which would mean I would have to graduate a year later so in total be in school for 5 years...There's no way I'm gonna do that, looks like OTS it is...I'm pretty bummed, I wish I knew I wanted to do AFROTC when it was time for college applications, or at least freshman year of college. I can't really blame myself though, having to make that kind of decision at just 17 years old is a little ridiculous, I'm 20 years old now and so much more mature and definitely would be able to make a life changing decision like this now.

5 years isn't bad, and 20 isn't that old. It will be a total of 6 years (all full time, no repeat classes) for me to complete my bachelors and a total of 5 years in ROTC. I got two years left but I would much rather do this then OTS as you have to be the top of the top to get in, not to mention getting a pilot slot. Especially as they have been cancelling OTS classes recently. If I were you, I would go for the three years in ROTC, and if you don't get an EA slot after your first year, you can always go OTS but at least you gave ROTC a shot.

Guest AspiringPilot

Just glanced through this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents. I did a three year ROTC program. I'm graduating this year and headed off to pilot training this summer. If it were me, an extra year of school would not deter me from ROTC. I would add some classes to my schedule that I was interested in, make each semester very manageable. I know guys that have had to cram a bunch of classes into each semester and it makes getting good grades much more difficult for them. I took two years off school for meaningful service and other activities and it really doesn't make a big difference as far as your age goes. Its your decision though, do what you feel strongly about.

I see what you're saying. The thing is is that my cross town affiliate is 1.5 hours away, so I wouldn't want to have to make that commute for 3 years. Maybe transferring after my 4th year would be an option or even graduating from my school and attending the main DET for a year of grad school would be an option. That would be unpredictable though, who knows if I would be accepted into their grad program and I would also risk not having a scholarship and having a whole other year of college loan debt to pay for.

Guest DeMarreo

I just wanted to add that the 2.5 year option is still available at some detachments. I had to make a few phone calls to find one for myself.

I found that currently

Howard University in DC does 3 or 4 years of AFROTC

George Mason in VA does 3 or 4 years of NROTC

University of Maryland provides 2.5, 3, or 4 year options for AFROTC. (This 2.5 year program starts only in January, and I believe it may only be for prior service)

University of California at San Diego provides 2.5, 3, or 4 year options for AFROTC.

Guest decoy

I don't know why you're being such a little bitch about this.. 1 extra year to give you a substantially better shot at getting a pilot slot

• Downvote 1

Guest AspiringPilot

I don't know why you're being such a little bitch about this.. 1 extra year to give you a substantially better shot at getting a pilot slot

Little bitch? Are you kidding me? An extra year of taking out college loans when I'm already going to be $80,000 in debt by my NORMAL graduation date. And any scholarship money wouldn't be guaranteed either. The det is 1.5 hours away. If the pilot slot was 100% guaranteed (which of course it won't be) and the det was actually at my school then maybe I'd consider shelling out more college loans. Until then, OTS it is asshole, have a nice day.

Edited by AspiringPilot
  • Downvote 1

Guest El Bastardo

5 years isn't bad, and 20 isn't that old. It will be a total of 6 years (all full time, no repeat classes) for me to complete my bachelors and a total of 5 years in ROTC. I got two years left but I would much rather do this then OTS as you have to be the top of the top to get in, not to mention getting a pilot slot. Especially as they have been cancelling OTS classes recently. If I were you, I would go for the three years in ROTC, and if you don't get an EA slot after your first year, you can always go OTS but at least you gave ROTC a shot.

Did I read this right? 6 years? What in earth are you studying? Very legit question as I bit the bullet and did a 128 hour ME + 12 hour ROTC curriculum in 4.5 years (140 hours if you are afraid to do public math).

On a separate note, you can only dream about OTS unless you have ALL the stats to compete for a OTS slot. (high gpa [3.6+ for beginners], recommendations, 90+TBAS/PPL to prove yourself, etc). I'll admit I'm a ROTC guy awaiting UPT and I compare myself with OTS guys here with me and I can't help but realize they are strong as hell with their numbers here.

Did I read this right? 6 years? What in earth are you studying? Very legit question as I bit the bullet and did a 128 hour ME + 12 hour ROTC curriculum in 4.5 years (140 hours if you are afraid to do public math).

On a separate note, you can only dream about OTS unless you have ALL the stats to compete for a OTS slot. (high gpa [3.6+ for beginners], recommendations, 90+TBAS/PPL to prove yourself, etc). I'll admit I'm a ROTC guy awaiting UPT and I compare myself with OTS guys here with me and I can't help but realize they are strong as hell with their numbers here.

Aerospace Engineering. 198 units total to graduate. I started ROTC a year after I was in college but I took a few classes that I didn't need my first year because I was unsure what major I wanted to choose. My last year will be a little lighter on the class side but it will be full of senior design so it will be about the same work level. My point is that if this person wanted a pilot slot, 3 years in ROTC isn't that bad, especially with how competitive OTS is.

Guest AspiringPilot

Aerospace Engineering. 198 units total to graduate. I started ROTC a year after I was in college but I took a few classes that I didn't need my first year because I was unsure what major I wanted to choose. My last year will be a little lighter on the class side but it will be full of senior design so it will be about the same work level. My point is that if this person wanted a pilot slot, 3 years in ROTC isn't that bad, especially with how competitive OTS is.

I agree with you that 3 years isn't bad. Heck, I'd love to be able to have done all 4 years! The point is, I'm a sophomore in college, and having to graduate a year late/be in school for 5 years is not the option I find best for me.

Guest AspiringPilot

Do you think it would be possible to be guaranteed (given I apply and win a scholarship) that all three years of ROTC would be paid for? That would definitely be an incentive, especially if they'd let me transfer from my school to the actual host school for the 5th year...

Edited by AspiringPilot

Do you think it would be possible to be guaranteed (given I apply and win a scholarship) that all three years of ROTC would be paid for? That would definitely be an incentive, especially if they'd let me transfer from my school to the actual host school for the 5th year...

Yeah, it's possible, you'd have to check out what they call express scholarships. They're for certain types of engineering and nursing majors. I am none of the above so I do not claim to be an expert about it, but I know that if you meet some GPA requirements and take the PFA and whatnot, then they'll hook you up. Not sure if anything has happened with this since they've been cutting everything else lately, but it's definitely worth checking out.

Also, if you would transfer your 5th year why not transfer now? I know you've written about the commute being a problem.

What the others have been saying about OTS is true. It's very difficult to get a pilot slot out of OTS, because of how competitive it is. You're looking at a GPA in the high 3s for starters, and there are a lot of applicants that fit those criteria. It is way easier to get a pilot slot through ROTC than OTS.

If you're really set on being an AF pilot, your best bet is to bite the bullet and do ROTC because that's going to give you by far the best chance at it.

Guest harharhar

Yeah, it's possible, you'd have to check out what they call express scholarships. They're for certain types of engineering and nursing majors.

Certain foreign language majors too. Besides nursing, pretty sure they had the highest EA acceptance rates as well.

Guest AspiringPilot

Question, if one were to do AFROTC and not be selected for a pilot slot, would it be possible to apply for a slot at some later point after working in the field they selected you for? That seems to be the worst case scenario, for someone to really want a pilot slot only to not get it. I guess that's one of the good things about OTS, that at least in that case you don't have to commit until you know you have the pilot slot.

Guest harharhar

Yes, it is possible. I believe you can apply for an active duty UPT slot after 2 years. Others can give you more specific info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AspiringPilot

Hey guys, I'm a Sophomore in college and I have a question regarding the three year program. I'd be extending my graduation date a year and be competing for next summer's (2012) field training, but I'm not sure if I understand exactly what that deal would be. From my understanding I'd attend AFROTC classes, labs, PT etc for my first two semesters of being in ROTC and at that point I'd compete for a field training spot since not everyone gets it. If I get the field training spot, I attend and if I complete it once I return for my third semester of AFROTC it is then that I contract and officially be in the program and owe service after graduation. If I do not get a field training spot I'd be officially out of the program, is that correct? So does this mean I cannot apply/compete for/or be granted a scholarship until I contract and therefore not until my third AFROTC semester? (My third AFROTC semester would be my Senior year if I didn't do ROTC but technically it's junior year because I'd extend my graduation date).

Also, it seems to be that as long as you have good grades and a heart beat and 3 years of college remaining you can sign up for AFROTC classes and compete for a field training spot, is this correct?

Thanks

Also, it seems to be that as long as you have good grades and a heart beat and 3 years of college remaining you can sign up for AFROTC classes and compete for a field training spot, is this correct?

For the most part. If you have medical issues, they won't want you.

From my understanding I'd attend AFROTC classes, labs, PT etc for my first two semesters of being in ROTC and at that point I'd compete for a field training spot since not everyone gets it.

You will start competing for a Field Training spot (Enrollment Allocation or EA) on day one. Your EA package gets sent to HQ ROTC around Dec/Jan and you find out in Mar/Apr. So, effectively, you'll only have your first semester to compete for an EA. If you don't get an EA, then your future depends on how your detachment operates. They could invite you back to compete the next year or they can chose to not let you come back. It's subjective and each detachment does things differently.

If I get the field training spot, I attend and if I complete it once I return for my third semester of AFROTC it is then that I contract and officially be in the program and owe service after graduation. If I do not get a field training spot I'd be officially out of the program, is that correct? So does this mean I cannot apply/compete for/or be granted a scholarship until I contract and therefore not until my third AFROTC semester? (My third AFROTC semester would be my Senior year if I didn't do ROTC but technically it's junior year because I'd extend my graduation date).

When you contract, you're agreeing to some sort of commitment. If you graduate and make it through the program, then you commission. If you somehow manage to get dis-enrolled during your last two years of ROTC, they could technically force you to enlist. For the most part, this doesn't happen anymore. If the AF paid for 3-4 years of your schooling then they could ask you to repay or enlist.

In terms of scholarships, you are only eligible BEFORE you contract. You can't get a scholarship as a junior or senior in the program. So for you, you will compete for a scholarship during the Fall semester. If you don't get it, but receive an EA, then you will compete during the Spring. After that, no scholarships.

What you need to do is contact the Unit Admissions Officer (UAO) at your nearest detachment and schedule an appointment with them. Their job is to find suitable cadets who have potential. This forum is a great source of info, but only the UAO knows exactly what is going on. They'll make sure that you'll leave with all your questions answered.