New Cadet Advice

Odium

Seeing how fast the last new cadet thread got off topic, I thought I would post a general request for any sage advice or comments some of you experienced types could offer, I've been following this forum for quite a while and have always appreciated the perspective of those who have BTDT. I'd really appreciate some perspective on ROTC program and what is and isn't really applicable to life in the real AF. I'm interested in competing for a pilot slot if all the medical requirements line up but definately understand the real chance of it not working out so any comments on interesting nonrated career fields I should look into would be welcome. If you have anything to offer the other new cadets who I'm sure will eventually find this post please add it to the threat or just send me a PM if you want to keep it off the forum. Thanks!

Guest Tony71

The big thing when you first start off in ROTC is to show that you're willing to step up, that you're not afraid to lead. Leadership potential is huge in ROTC. And if you are the quiet type that sort of stands back in the shadows, do you best to come out of your shell, or show your stuff in some other way. For example, the first PFT that you take can really open people's eyes and get your name out there in a positive light...if you go out and max it the first time out. PT is a place where you can lead by example rather than being a "natural leader." Leading by example is a good quality to have as an officer. As far as getting a pilot slot, you have to be consistent with everything. You should be a jack of all trades...and well, master of as much as you can. So grades, PFT, FT, PCSM, and your overall ranking amongst your peers will be the key to earning a pilot slot. Other than that, stay out of trouble and keep your eye on the prize. Maybe this will get the thread going....anyone else can add their $.02. Good Luck!

Guest ShortThrow

1) Open up your ears and never close them; even the most expirienced pilots don't know everything.

2) When you do talk, make sure it's respectful.

3) DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!!! This is huge, it shows you are thirsty to better yourself and gain full understanding of everything.

4) Branch out, introduce yourself

5) Ease into being a leader; as a new guy, it may seem arrogant if you barge in and start trying to lead; but be sure when the appropriate chance to lead comes along, that you take it and do the best you can.

6) WORK YOUR ASS OFF AT EVERYTHING YOU DO! For the most part, aslong as your results are acceptable, attitude and effort are the most imporatant qualities in AFROTC.

attitude is almost everything. You need very little leadership skills to make it through ROTC if you work hard and always have a good attitude. Now then, getting what you want in ROTC is a little different story, attitude, leadership skills, and brains. Have two of those together and it will work out somehow, have three and get what you want.

As far as other career fields go, I have friends that are OSI agents, Intel guys, Navs, WSOs, Finance, they all seem to enjoy their jobs. Just figure out what you want from the AF if you cant fly. If you want to lead/supervise, hit up SF or MX where a 2LT can get 100 people under their command in the first year. Ops side of the house go Intel, CCT, PRO/CRO (whatever that is called now), MX. ect

Guest Flight

I look for the cadets that have the balls to step up and lead. As an AS100, I could care less if your making mistakes, as long as your out there trying to lead. Like already said, it's an attitude thing. I like to see confidence with an ability to STFU when it's time to learn. Just keep yourself out front, but don't step on your peers in the process!

Guest ce2be

One of the BIG things I notice is the tendency to make decisions on what you think the Cadre want to see happen rather than what makes sense.

What I am saying is, don't be afraid to make decisions that make sense just because they haven't been cleared ahead of time. Stand up, think outside the box, and make decisions when needed.

A wise man once told me it is better to ask forgivness than ask for permission. If you ask for permission first, they can say no.

[ 02. March 2006, 22:50: Message edited by: ce2be ]

Everyone's exactly right. The only thing I can think to add right now is DO NOT climb over anyone's back to get your name out there or try to show you have a better idea. Even if you are being a stellar cadet up to that point, stepping on people's toes will negate everything. You can't lead people who don't trust you and the cadre will (or should) see right through you if you're only out for yourself. Do all the things mentioned in here and you will get respect from your peers and a nod from the cadre when needed.

Go all out with whatever duties you're given.

For example, last semester each flight was supposed to grab the flight-shield from the previous semester and paint it with the new flights "colors". A freshman from Bravo flight decided he didn't like the old shield, so HE WENT OUT AND CUT DOWN A FRIGGIN' TREE!!! He then cut a chunk out about 3 inches thick and proceeded to CARVE a new flight shield out of it! He had like an eagle swooping down and a bombs flying, etc..., all carved out of this big chunk of cedar, which he then highlighted with paint.

My point is, while you don't have to cut down a tree every semester, go all out with whatever you're supposed to do, and you will get noticed.

[ 04. March 2006, 10:54: Message edited by: Riddller ]

Guest Dwiff

Riddller, obviously that guy was not in Oregon, otherwise he would have been arrested for cutting down a tree! F$cking hippy state, oh well I love it.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny too, but good on him for the effort!

On the flip side, don't be about it. Last week we did Lazer Tag for our LLab as a break from 'death by Power Point'. One of the sophmores called up his flight the Friday night before to see if they wanted to go 'brush up' on their 'Urban Combat Tactics' before playing Lazer Tag the next week.

If I'd been drinking milk when I heard this, it would have shot out my nose...

Originally posted by Riddller:

One of the sophmores called up his flight the Friday night before to see if they wanted to go 'brush up' on their 'Urban Combat Tactics' before playing Lazer Tag the next week.

Yeah, there's ALOT of that going around our Det.

I concur with ShortThrow and WHAP. Get out there and get smart on whatever it is you're interested in. Work you butt off. Be a team player. I have noticed a tendancy among ROTC cadets to be ridiculously competitive with each other to the point of breaking the team concept. There are a lot of big egos in ROTC. Be a leader, but don't be a tool.

Guest vectorpecker

do something for someone else and don't expect a pat on the back....eventually good things happen to good people

• 1 month later...

Just to hop on the band wagon in case your still checkin this thread-

Just be a normal guy. Don't be arrogant.

Figure out what you want to do and get as much information as you can towards that end.

Study hard and get good grades and meet the deadlines that your Cadre set for you. Your Cadre will do their best to help you if you help them by doing this.

One thing I didn't do was to really look at the different jobs that will be available to you as an officer in the AF. If you want to be a pilot then of course that will consume your efforts, time, and thoughts, but you also need to realize what else is out there just in case.

There's an AF pub called Edit: 36-2105 that lists all the jobs. I was suprised at just how little there was, in my opinion, job wise if you don't want to be a pilot (nav, abm, etc.) Of course everyone is different. Get as much real information as you can about these jobs from people who know and who do them but also realize what's out there because if you join up and get your pilot slot, great, but if you don't you're still going to have to put some time in so make sure it's something you would care to do.

I hope what I wrote makes sense and isn't too far forward thinking. When I was in your shoes I could care less if someone told me this because all I wanted to do was get my slot and I would figure out the rest if I had to. Now I have my slot (pending a few more hoops, Brooks, etc. to jump through) but from this side I wish someone would have made me see the sense in this.

Good luck in whatever you decide and keep looking ahead but also know (and this may seem contradictory) that whatever comes you'll figure it out when you need to.

[ 09. May 2006, 19:12: Message edited by: egochecks ]

Sorry, just realized that seems kind of like having selfish motives to be in the AF.

You will realize through your experience that it is more important to be an officer first and that kind of attitude will carry through whatever job you have.

Just thought I'd add that.

Sorry for the novel.

listen, pay attention, and learn. Then apply what you have learned and do the best damned job you can do at anything you try. Stay optomistic and hope for the best. and as Phlash said, "If something is meant to be, it will happen"

Guest uniballvisionmicro

All of the above is great. Be the best cadet you can be (otherwise why are you there?). Just remember to be a college student as well. Air Force life will come soon enough. Work your butt of in school/sports/ROTC/chicks, and the rest will fall into place. The "whole person" concept is still in full effect. Dont let your resume be AF only - join a fraternity, team, club, or something else that shows you are a normal dude. Thats who I want to fly with...