Indvidual Drill Evaluation (IDE)

Guest Spitfire

I'm not arguing at all with you...in fact we are all on the same page about FT, it IS in fact a joke, there is no one in the world who believes that more than I. I was just making a post that didn't apply the already stated info of how it really is, a post that I hope had some useful info that these cadets can take somewhat serious. And by commanding ablity, I simply meant that being Flt CC helps control your Flight with IDEs and improves your score. Not folding socks, haha. Cheers dude!

Guest vectorpecker

the cards that you practice with at your det are the same ones you'll see at field training, if you can memorize those sequences in your head...you'll know exactly where to place your flight when you first get your card from your FTO/CTA.

my COC is going to be the maxwell 2 COC and he told me that everyone is expected to know how to do an IDE getting off the bus ...there will be less time given to complete IDEs...many (FTOs/CTAs) feel that time allocated for IDEs is a waist of training time

so practice, practice, practice because from what I here all encampments will be themed this way

Guest KoolKat

Falcon, damn it...alright...this is something I thought worked.

Get a piece of paper and scale out the appropriately sized box for another relatively smaller piece of paper you cut out.

Place the smaller piece of paper on top of the larger piece of paper, and draw a :D on it.

:D is now the troops under your command, prepare to enhance you "commanding abilities!"

NOTE: DO NOT do this in front of anyone, for fear of looking like a D-bag.

Anyhoo...line your little :D up where your going to start marching them and then litlerally drag :D around and run through the commands.

This will get you thinking fast enough, and understanding what order to do things in, and what can get you in a jam, and more importantly what commands can get you out of a jam, without pissing your panties and freaking out, and subsequently marching 4 people into the basketball hoop pole or the fence.

Basic idea, enhance at your own risk.

That hurt me,

BENDY

EDIT: "vectorpecker" I don't know why, but that's funny.

[ 15. March 2006, 21:32: Message edited by: Bender ]

I always saw people trying to visualize where to put their flight so that they had the MAXIMUM possible room to maneuver. I would say that about 50% of the time, they didnt think something through and ended up stuck in a corner.

I ALWAYS put my flight dead center in the pad. You should have room to maneuver efficiently from the center of the pad no matter which card you get. And don't rely on memorizing anything, bad advice IMO.

IDE's may be dumb and pointless and yadda yadda yadda, but its one of the few oppurtunities where you and your flightmates are all given the exact same oppurtunity to excel or fail. I would get as good at drill as possible before you go.

I got a 98 on my IDE (-2 pts for flight dress) and my FTO looked at me differently from there on out (in a good way, plus it got me an outstanding on my report).

Originally posted by vectorpecker:

the cards that you practice with at your det are the same ones you'll see at field training, if you can memorize those sequences in your head...you'll know exactly where to place your flight when you first get your card from your FTO/CTA.

Just incase...don't put too much faith in thinking that these will be the cards you'll see. That's the same info we got and it was false. Keep in mind, to make you more stressed, it takes 3 seconds to change an IDE card and mess up your entire plan that you memorized.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to do really well on your IDE (not necessary) ask for a leadership position in the first week. You may or may not get one but you'll learn how to march a flight come IDE time. But unless you know you have your stuff together don't do that cuz you might just suck and having a good IDE score might not undue the suckage. Other than that practice.

Oh yeah, and do Bendy's idea but maybe with a sugar packet, or a nutrasweet packet, or a dominoe!, or no wait...I know...a matchbox car but something cool like a Nova.

I'm retarded.

Good luck anyway.

• 1 month later...