Indvidual Drill Evaluation (IDE)

Guest Spitfire

Guest Spitfire

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Indvidual Drill Evaluation (IDE) Worksheet? This is the form used to grade IDEs at FT. We need it for LLAB tomorrow. Thanks!

When I went to FT, I had "the original" IDE worksheet that was supposed to be used at FT. Knowing this I figured I'd memorize it, and know where to start. And of course I did all the work for it and they changed every one!!! Don't put too much faith in it thinking its going to be the one at FT, b/c AETC will purposely distribute copys then change it TD 1!!!

what's there to memorize? You're going to get a card with 10-15 movements on it...just do those. There's nothing you need to memorize except how to call those commands. Also, the year I went you could legally (according to the FTM) stand still the entire time while giving commands. That's a hell of a lot easier than trying to march with the IDE flight while giving them commands...way easier to think and execute just standing and watching their movement. Don't know if that's how it is now, but if so, I would highly recommend doing that.

Originally posted by brabus:

what's there to memorize? You're going to get a card with 10-15 movements on it...just do those. There's nothing you need to memorize except how to call those commands. Also, the year I went you could legally (according to the FTM) stand still the entire time while giving commands. That's a hell of a lot easier than trying to march with the IDE flight while giving them commands...way easier to think and execute just standing and watching their movement. Don't know if that's how it is now, but if so, I would highly recommend doing that.

Ya, you can stand in the corner and call out everything...that's cool. They dont encourage it, but it's ok. You do need to know where to start your flight, each card has a different correct starting position...memorizing that helps. Knowing what commands to ADD helps...b/c you will need to add commands in every IDE card. Memorizing and having that advantage is great when you are tired, hot and can't think straight b/c some dumb CTA who thinks he's God's gift to the Military is yelling at you.

Well to each his own, but I just took the damn card, used some common sense to know where to start, stood in the corner and started. It's not that hard...common sense and thinking a little ahead can tell you where you need to start and what commands you need to add in. There's no need to go memorizing every possible combo of IDE commands...waste of time.

Originally posted by brabus:

^^ Shack!

Guest Spitfire

We're talking about the scoring worksheet, not the command cards. There were 7 distinct command cards when I went to FT, and I think memorizing them would have been a waste of time, that time would be better spent learning how to drill a flight. But if you're motivated to find the cards somehow and do that, more power to ya. In my flight, IDE performance had little or no bearing on how we stacked up in the end.

Guest Spitfire

We're using the worksheet to score the IDEs that we're having the FTPs perform at LLAB. That way they get to see how the scoring looks before they go to FT.

And they get less difficult the more you do them. The copies of the 2006 FTM that our FTP cadets recieved have only 5 IDE sequences in it. And supposedly these will be the same one's we use at FT. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

[ 23. February 2006, 01:57: Message edited by: Vandal905 ]

Oh ok, makes a little more sense now. Nonetheless, they should just shoot for not screwing up, regardless of what categories there are to be graded on. Not sure how much that'll help. All they need to know is don't screw up, get an outstanding, mess up one or two things, get an excellent, and so on.

Originally posted by Vandal905:

And they get less difficult the more you do them. The copies of the 2006 FTM that our FTP cadets recieved have only 5 IDE sequences in it. And supposedly these will be the same one's we use at FT. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Yeah, that's correct. From what our cadre has told us, they're going to be less concerned with IDE's then they use to be. They've realized that drill & ceremonies doesn't really help with producing leaders... or something like that.

Guest cb03t

Dude, they haven't given a rats @ss about IDE's for a while now. When I went, the girl who failed BOTH scored IDE's was #2 in the flight. Don't know if that's how bad it was for others, that was my experience.

On a side note, don't sweat the IDE's, the FTOs don't want you to fail them, I failed my first, and practiced for a while marching in other people's, and got a 95.5 on the next one. It's cake. Don't worry about it! Instead, if you focus on being prepared to perform under pressure, I'm sure you'll be glad you did, it will pay off HUGE. My .69c

EDIT: Internet is hard...

[ 28. February 2006, 19:47: Message edited by: cb03t ]

Oh, I thought IDE's were required to pass in order to graduate FT. *shrug* I've never been to FT yet so what do I know. Just based on what the cadre has told us though, IDE's are less of a concern (less then what they have been I guess?).

Either way, I'm not worried about them. But the five IDE's they're using are listed in the back of the FTM, so hopefully no one should have too much trouble with them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sdafcadet

I hear that IDEs are going to count less on your overall FT grade. Does anyone know if we still have to pass it to pass FT?

Guest Absolutlyfly

Yes, that is true. IDEs will count less towards your Field Training evaluation. Now with that said you must still pass them to graduate FT.

It never did make sense to me how marching 14 people, or whatever, around in a little box evaluated your potential as an officer.

Guest illini52

It shows problem solving, precise judgement, and thinking under pressure. That's kind of a theme at FT.

Guest KoolKat

"it will help your commanding ablities greatly."

"Look guys, we have to fold the sock in half the other way...DAMN IT, ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME? Yeah, Billy...that's really good...BUT DO IT THE OTHER WAY! You guys are idiots! Here, I'll fold your F'in socks myself!"

IDEs...how dumb. I'm sure there is some kind of purpose there, but it eludes me.

BENDY

Originally posted by Bender:

IDEs...how dumb. I'm sure there is some kind of purpose there, but it eludes me.

BENDY

this isn't an arguement about whether or not IDEs are dumb....b/c we all know not only are they dumb, FT in general is a pathetic excuse for military training. But instead of rambling on about how dumb they are, I figure I'd give them some sort of useful tip instead of showing them how to b!tch about things that will continue to go on whether they enjoy it or not.

EDIT: FT and all of ROTC for that matter is a game...just play the game and "cooperate and graduate."

[ 14. March 2006, 23:07: Message edited by: Shut up 'n color ]

Guest KoolKat

Are you trying to say my post was irrelavent and should have been included? :D

If you are Toro will delete it soon enough.

Your comments were good. I just laugh at the leadership "training" (or "commanding abilities" as you put it) that you get in FT, not to mention ROTC in general. Ok, but I'm gonna mention it one line from now.

Beaver's comments on what he's seen from Army leaders as an ALO are spot on...

There is no REAL leadership training in ROTC. You do get out of it what you give, but it's minimal at best.

No arguement there, no arguement here.

BENDY