AFROTC or NROTC?

Guest fghtffyrdmns

Guest puhpuhplaya

Hello, I'm currently 17 years old so please bear with me if what I'm saying sounds rediculous. I'm a senior in high school and applied to 2 colleges. The first one I applied to was the one I really really really wanted to go to and got accepted and wanted to go to their AFROTC program. I got in and the Air Force gave me a FULL TUITION type 1 scholorship so I have until May to accept it. I was thrilled...

Then today I recieved an acceptance letter from SUNY Maritime College. They have NROTC available there unlike the other college I was accepted to. Now I know I want that regimented type of lifestyle and that experience. I DO want to try to become a pilot since I love it so much.

So basically now I have to make the decision of which place to go to. Which includes making the decision of which ROTC to do, AFRTOC or NROTC. So should I go with The Air Force, Navy, or Marines (since you can join marines through NROTC). I want to become a pilot and believe I can try hard enough to do it, its just which one to do.

If anyone could reply with their 2 cents on the branches (and any experience and thoughts about it likes/dislikes would be GREATLY appreciated and helpful in this tough decision.) and if you know if either branch is easier to get into the pilot program would help as well. Thanks!

You might want to think about some of the bigger aspects. Such as, do you want to be on a boat for at least 6 months at a time, then back for a month or so, then back out for 6 and so on? Would you rather be in the AF and deploy or go TDY a good amount, but still at least have a "concrete" home (i.e. on land ;) ). Some people seem to love ship life, others did a few tours and hated it. So think about that one seriously. Also, Navy flight training takes longer to do (i.e. 1.5 yrs to wings vs ~ 1 yr in AF)...that may or may not matter to you. What type of A/C do you want to fly; probably fighters at this point (who doesn't in high school), and if so, which types would you rather fly...18's vs 16's, etc. If you want to fly heavies (tac airlift, refuel, etc.) then sure as hell don't go Navy. From what you said, sounds like you have the full ride scholarship w/ AFROTC, but none with NROTC. That fact right there should be a HUGE consideration...I'd definitely say go with the scholarship and fly AF.

Overall, I'm so grateful to have a slot w/ the AF can't wait to start UPT next year. I know a few Navy guys and they like it a lot, but personally for me, AF is the only way to go...for many of the reasons I mentioned above. Think about the ones I mentioned (I know others will throw in their opinions), and then post back with any follow-up questions you might have. Good luck on the decision.

TPeters422....just a little acronymn list from above post

TDY = Temporary Duty. In the Air Force (AF) it is usually a 4 month deployment.

Heavies = C-130, C-17, C-5...

TAC Airlift = flying supplies to the guys on the front line. Usually involves landing at unimproved air strips in not so friendly places.

UPT = Undergraduate Pilot Training.

Good luck with which ever you choose. Personally I would go with the scholarship too. But that is just because I don't think I could live on a boat for 6 months out of the year.

Originally posted by Mambo:

Heavies = C-130, C-17, C-5...

TAC Airlift = flying supplies to the guys on the front line. Usually involves landing at unimproved air strips in not so friendly places.

Correction to post:

Heavies = C-17, C-5, KC-135

Tac Airlift = C-130

HD

Sorry about the acronyms...thanks for the save mambo. Also, I know you're only 17, but family considerations in the future could be a big thing. Yes you'll be TDY a good amount (can be very dependent on what you're flying), but in the long run, seems to me AF guys are home more with families than the Navy guys. That's one of the biggest complaints I've heard from Navy guys who have families...and not to mention they're on a boat with 5,000 other guys.

[ 08. February 2006, 20:08: Message edited by: brabus ]

also, something to keep in mind (and perhaps verify with a middie) is that over their summers between college years, they are required to do cruises(for how long I don't know). The AF summer programs are all voluntary (and competitive) except field training (between soph and jr year for 4 weeks).

If you really really wanted to go to that one college, and got a full ride, I don't see where the problem is. Grass is always greener...write that down.

Also, if you want to fly for the Marines, don't forget about the other time commitments: graduating, waiting a few months before starting TBS (The Basic School: Every Marine Officer is trained to be an Infantry Officer), 6 months of TBS, getting stashed for a year waiting to start pilot training, 1.5 years to wings, getting sent to the FRS (Fleet Replacement Squadron: Training to fly your particular airframe), waiting a few more months to start training, another 6-9 months in training, then getting sent out to your "Fleet Squadron". I had pilot friends that were finally making it out of the FRS after 4 YEARS of active duty time. They said they had AF buddies that they went through UPT with that were already aircraft commanders while my buddy didn't even have any copilot time in a fleet aircraft yet!

One of the reasons I didn't take the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Program option and am now finishing up AFROTC...

Guest Spitfire

Check out medical (i.e. vision) standards for both branches, they differ slightly and it can make a difference. If your vision is perfect then don't worry about it.

• 1 year later...

Is there anything wrong with joining both AFROTC and NROTC your first semester just to make sure which service is right for you and to see who you fit in with?

I guarantee the people you'll be around in either ROTC are NOT going to give you a good sampling of which service is best for you. The best thing you can do is find out info about each service, their programs, etc...and not from some ROTC kid. Then make a decision. Secondly, I would highly doubt you'd even be able to do both. Not only do they probably do their lead lab BS on the same days, but even if they didn't, there's no way you could have time to mix both and do decently at them. One ROTC is enough bullshit to deal w/, don't even think about doing two (even if it was possible).

If you're after flying (which I sort of assume since you're on here), either service is great for that in their own ways. My biggest thing against the Navy is I didn't want to sit on a boat for 6-9 months out of my year. But honestly their flying is pretty awesome and in a lot of ways way cooler than the AF...as far as rules/regs go. However, the AF offers many more aircraft to "choose" from and is still a shitload of fun to fly in (from my limited experience), just the AF has a different viewpoint on flying ops. The Navy has a lot of helos, so if you are dead set against helos than the AF is probably a better choice. Just some quick things...hopefully you can find a flyer from each service to talk to personally who can give you some good face-to-face insight on each branch.

Is there anything wrong with joining both AFROTC and NROTC your first semester just to make sure which service is right for you and to see who you fit in with?

I had a guy in my Field Training flight that did both Army and Air Force ROTC. Make sure you check the schedules of their PT and leadership labs so they don't conflict. I think if you work hard at it for the first semester and their was no scheduling conflicts, you should be able to pull it off. However, I would reccomend if the units are crosstown to reconsider your decision.

As far as the flying goes? My dad was in the Navy and I choose the Air Force route. My dad actually told me to go Air Force because of the better lifestyle. Though I was little when my dad was in the Navy, I think the tempo remains pretty much the same: you are gone 6-9 months on "cruise" and even as an officer you have to share a room with 5-6 other bros. The Navy does have some cool planes, but the lifestyle is not for me. Hope this helps!

WxMan :beer:

Well the Navy is gay. Don't know if anyone has told you that yet . . .

I knew several people in college who tried out Army & AF ROTC. It wasn't a big deal. I think the smart thing for you to do would be to let the cadre at each know what you are doing. That way you'll know of any potential conflicts ahead of time. And if you are high speed you may even find one side "recruiting" you more than the other.

• 3 years later...
Guest kingneptune117

I really like both branches and my top AD career choice for either would be to fly. And from what I understand the Navy's aircraft are almost all some variant of the super hornet. Are NROTC pilot slots just as competitive as AFROTC's slots?

I really like both branches and my top AD career choice for either would be to fly. And from what I understand the Navy's aircraft are almost all some variant of the super hornet. Are NROTC pilot slots just as competitive as AFROTC's slots?

4 engine super hornets:

100706-N-6855K-030.jpg

nuclear super hornets:

030429-N-9999Z-001.jpg

Rescue super hornets:

101212-N-3659B-078.jpg

Airborne C2 super hornets:

101112-N-8824M-051.jpg

Also 4 seat EW super hornets and cargo super hornets.

For Navy selection percentages the AirWarriors forums might be of more help; however, just as with anything in the military slots/ops will widely vary, so what the gouge tells you right now might be exactly the opposite in 4 years when you commission (just ask the guys who the AF paid to separate and are now being paid to get back in). Best plan is to pick the service you want to be an officer in the most (I'm sure the Navy bros have their own version of the OPR review video) etc. If you do ROTC either way you'll be committed before you know flight slot info, so consider whether you likely want to do missiles/logistics/comm/cops/etc on the AF side or driving ships on the Navy side if you don't get picked up or get a last minute med DQ.

For Navy selection percentages the AirWarriors forums might be of more help; however, just as with anything in the military slots/ops will widely vary, so what the gouge tells you right now might be exactly the opposite in 4 years when you commission (just ask the guys who the AF paid to separate and are now being paid to get back in). Best plan is to pick the service you want to be an officer in the most (I'm sure the Navy bros have their own version of the OPR review video) etc. If you do ROTC either way you'll be committed before you know flight slot info, so consider whether you likely want to do missiles/logistics/comm/cops/etc on the AF side or driving ships on the Navy side if you don't get picked up or get a last minute med DQ.

A very big "2" on this statement. I was applying to both the Air Force and the Navy for flying spots. The Air Force has one board from active duty that meets every January. In the Navy, I was told there was a monthly board, and that right now, it is highly likely that I would get picked up. However, the USAF age limit for UPT is 30, while the Navy still has the age of 27. I am sure it is waiverable, but I'm not sure. It boils down to this one statement though. Wherever you go, bust your ass, don't get into too much trouble, and tell the right people what you want to do. Be humble and do your job very well. I wish you the best of luck.

The other thing to think about is the time it takes to become an aviator. On the AF side, it's a year-ish. On the Navy side, it's whenever they get around to getting you into the required classes, BS, and queep, like API, where you have to go through some queep classes and rediculous tests so they can weed you out if you don't have a 94% average on those tests (saw a lot of good dudes get bumped to SWO and NFO because their "NSS" from API wasn't in that 94% average, and one in particular who was off by maybe one or two missed questions on one of those tests). Then you have to wait until they pick you up to go to ground school, and so on and so forth.

I'm AF on the Navy side, and I regret coming down here every minute, because I know I would be at a minimum into Phase III right now. But once I hit the flight line (next week...oh please GOD let it be next week!) it's going to Rock! Just do your research, look at the mission of the aircraft, because either way, it's a crap shoot to get a pilot slot.

Work hard, and you should have no problems.

BL

Edited by blud84