Delayed Entry Program

Guest wannabejag

Guest bermwewjan

Hi All,

What does everyone know about the delayed entry program and categorization? Is it possible to categorized and then delay your entry for graduate school? Or must you re-categorize for the year you will be entering your school i.e. flight school?

thanks for any info in advance!!!

I understood that they delay your commissioning all together until you have whatever degree you were approved to get. i.e. if your DOC/DOG is in 07 but decide to get a masters you can delay your DOC/DOG to 09. This only applies for technical majors im sure though.

Guest Sebastian

AFROTC cadets enrolled as pilots, navigators, or missile launch officer candidates are not eligible to apply for educational delays unless they seek an advanced degree in the legal (5YYY) or medical (7YYY) academic areas.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sebastian

Has anyone (or anyone at your DET) who applied for delayed entry this year heard anything from HQ yet?

EDIT: Anyone know the process after the required forms are submitted?

[ 24. February 2006, 15:43: Message edited by: Sebastian ]

Guest wannabefighterjock

For ed delay...you just wait for an answer. AFPC notifies AFIT of those that they approve and AFIT makes the notification.

Also, to correct a misconception stated above, your commission is NOT delayed, if you complete your senior year of ROTC and earn your degree in '06, you will commission with your class, and then be placed in the inactive reserves while you complete your degree. So in my case, I commissioned in '03 and went directly into the reserves until last May when I completed my advanced degree. Also, something that not even AFIT has been able to get right is that while you're on your delay, your time counts towards your pay...ie, if you stay in grad school for two years, you will come on active duty as a 1Lt, but your time towards retirement starts when you come on active duty.

Guest pull chocks
Originally posted by flyingugadawg:

Is it possible to categorize and then delay your entry for graduate school?

No...rated officers are not eligable for delayed entry to go to AFIT or go back to school to work only on their master's. There was a memo that came out last semester that addressed this issue. Your cadre should have a copy. Now you can start your master's while you wait to attend pilot training. Some people have done this while on casual or you can do it now that you could be waiting 180 days before being brought on active duty...

• 3 years later...
Guest atlantis15

Thread revival...

I talked to one of my cadre members about this the other day, and since very few people at our detachment have looked into the possibility, we are not sure how things would work at all about an educational delay for master's work. All we had to work with was a few lines in chapter 6 of AFROTCI 36-2018, and I know someone in this thread mentioned a memo, so we aren't aware of those or any addendum that may have been made.

I was selected for UPT for FY2010 and the bottom line is that I'm not willing to take an ed delay at the sacrifice of losing my pilot slot...but I'm trying to explore my options, even though the possibility is unlikely.

Currently, I would like to apply for the master's program at my school, possibly under our BA/MA program. Right now, I am on track to get a BA in political science and a BA in international studies in May 2010, although I could probably finish up my BA in poli sci in December with one or two summer courses. At my school, there is a separate college for international studies and for government and public affairs, and with ROTC credits and others, I am able to take my double major and make it into a dual degree program.

I would ideally like to get my master's degree in international security before entering the Air Force for a few reasons. I think it would be great to have the MA box checked for later on in my career, and I also really enjoy my studies and the university I go to - I get to take a lot of classes about terrorism, the military, and security issues that aren't offered many other places. In my mind, after being a pilot, I would like to return to working on international security issues with my educational background in it and real life operational experience.

My question is if ed delays exist at all for people with rated slots - I realize it's unlikely because of the whole fiscal year issue and Air Force needs but I really am trying to figure this out because if there is a chance, I would need to start working on it now in terms of applying for grad school, etc. I know that the window for applying for a delay is NET 240 days and NLT 90 days prior to commissioning, but if I want to do the BA/MA program for international studies at my school I will need to apply by June and get letters of rec, etc.

Now, another possibility is that even if I can't get a delay, if I could get a good amount of master's work out of the way before entering active duty. All I have for the rest of spring 2010 semester that is required is one language class, and I'll have spots to take other courses that could count towards a master's degree if I got into the BA/MA program. I am thinking that maybe I can get into the BA/MA program and count spring 2010 classes and get summer courses in before UPT, and essentially have half, if not more of my MA degree program done and then pick up on it later. Would there be a way in going about it so I don't get stuck with EAD dates right after commissioning? I know the regs talk about an 180 admin delay, but I don't know if that would work for me in terms of keeping my slot, otherwise it would be great.

Sorry for the long post gents, thanks for your help! :salut:

As a 'rated' cadet you are ineligible for an educational delay, however you are eligible for an administrative delay.

I think the reg you are looking for is AFOATSI 36-2018. Check for the current version, I haven't looked at this for a year or so.....

8.6. Administrative Delays. Cadets may apply for an administrative delay. An administrative delay is merely an agreement by HQ AFPC that a cadet is not called to EAD during the delay; however, this is not guaranteed. Cadets are normally brought onto EAD within 60 days of DOC; therefore, if they want to delay EAD, they must submit a request for an administrative delay. The maximum length of approval is 12 months from the date of commissioning.

8.6.1. The cadet submits the request for administrative delay by memorandum to the unit commander, who endorses the request and forwards it to HQ AFPC/DPPAOS for consideration.

8.6.2. Submit the request between 60-120 days before commissioning. Include, as a minimum, the cadet's name, SSN, DOC, reason for delay and length of delay sought.

The memo is very easy, will take you no longer than 6-9 minutes to make. HQ approved my request within 48 hours, new EAD and class information within the week.

IMO you should be accepted into grad school by the time you submit your request. I was accepted, had an advisor, research project, graduate school approved academic plan (basically a Form 48 for big kids), and funding squared away before I made my request. HQ is more likely to approve your delay if you have all of your ducks in a row.

Remember you only have a year to complete a two-year program. Be prepared for a fire hose.

• 1 month later...
Thread revival...

You don't happen to go to a school in DC do you? PM me if you do b/c it sounds curiously close to a school I went to...good luck getting a delay, no dice for me in a similar situation back in '07.

Edited by nsplayr