Chances of Airborne School

Guest MiragePilot

Guest AdamSanes

I'll be starting AFROTC fall of next year (as a sophmore). I was wondering what the chances of getting an airborne slot for the summer while in AFROTC? Are they still doing this?

Yeah, they're still doing it, but your not going to get it after your sophmore year 'cuz you'll be sent to a 'Summer Spa and Relaxation Resort' (also known as FT) near you! After your junior year you can put in for it, but you better be the #1 cadet in your class!

Guest AirGuardian

Sounds like it still ain't easy to get a slot for Airborne in ROTC...

I highly recommend you go for it. Chance of a life time and it's Air Force Appreciation Day every day at Ft. Benning!!!

Godspeed!

A guy at my det got accepted into the AAT program, but was jipped out of it once he got there.

Rumor has it the army had way more people slated for the program than they could accomodate. The army guys there pulled some shady stuff and ended up getting the cadet DQd from the program saying he failed the PFT when he hadn't, and was subsequently sent home.

He was in good shape, and a high speed cadet (he did get picked up for AAT) so I find it hard to believe he didn't meet the fitness requirements when he got there, but who knows.

Anyone else hear of this happening?

Illini52 you might have to verify my story, at least thats the version I remember...

Airborne school fun? I went in '94 as a USMA K-det. It's just 1 week's worth of training crammed into a 3-week haze. The blackhats LOVE cadets. Have fun and enjoy the sawdust and airborne shuffle.

You can also apply for a program called Freefall. It's two weeks out at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. I think they still hold a certain amount of slots for CTAs as well as AS100s. So if you might want to do CTA duty, you should think about applying.

Instead of jumping from 1500, you jump from 4500 and freefall for about 10 seconds instead of a static line. The ground school is much tougher at AAT I heard, but Freefall is a blast, and you get to wear the same jump wings for your entire career.

Guest lakefisher
Originally posted by Goose:

Instead of jumping from 1500, you jump from 4500 and freefall for about 10 seconds instead of a static line.

reminds me of a 'grad' LT I had a class with several years ago. academy skydiving came up, and she mentioned she did one freefall jump. "Only one?", I said. she said they wouldn't let her do another one because she waited too long to open the chute. heh. and she was serious.

[ 31. December 2005, 22:40: Message edited by: lakefisher ]

Guest skipplet
Originally posted by lakefisher:

reminds me of a 'grad' LT I had a class with several years ago. academy skydiving came up, and she mentioned she did one freefall jump. "Only one?", I said. she said they wouldn't let her do another one because she waited too long to open the chute. heh. and she was serious.

They never lost a cadet jumping...the AAD won't allow for it...it automatically deploys the chute based on the preset baro- altitude which is set before you board the aircraft. The only 3 deaths at the Academy have been instructors (2 enlisted). There are a few PTWOBs on here you could probably ask...they would know a little better than me...

I hear the window at the academy is pretty small. I know of at least 3 at our det that got selected. First one almost got DQ'd for missing the window on his second jump. Second one got DQd before he even got there for being allergic to peanuts. Third one got sent back home after one (or two) jump(s) because he missed the window I think. Probably not as easy as most think...

Guest afrotccadet

Just FYI...I got a slot this summer and passed the course, but they failed me on my first PFT! I've gotten 100% on almost every AF fitness test, but the Army needed reduced numbers and didn't like my pushups, but I played their game and passed the test on the second week (they make you do crap detail for a week).

Don't worry about it, just make sure you do your pushups SLOW and have your chest TOUCH THE GROUND!!! It will help. They failed Rangers and Marines while I was there, so just play the game and you'll be fine.

Guest AirGuardian

500 to 600 trainees at ARMY AIRBORNE training, doubtful they were overloaded to lose 20, let alone one cadet...

Army budget getting that tight huh!

• 2 weeks later...

When I went thru, Jun 04, they failed probably 70 people out the first day with the PFT. As was said before, too many people, not enough slots. It wasnt too hard to pass, you just had to have perfect form so the Blackhats wouldnt screw with you... And trust me, they just love us AF types...

• 4 years later...