Who can commission you?

Guest hax0r

So what's the deal with who can commission you? Has to be an ACTIVE duty officer? Or can they be a retired officer? Any branch? If they are retired, should they be in uniform or anything?

Guest DaRevrend

From the commissioning ceremonies I have attended/been a part of, it just has to be an officer. They can be active duty, reserve/guard or retired, and no matter what service they come from they will jack up some part of the oath.

For the retired folks, I have always seen them in uniform (though some barely fit, and I felt sorry for the buttons on their jacket and the people in their kill zone). Good luck, and start looking now for a nice silver dollar for that first salute.

Edit: To answer the question that slipped in before my response.

You can have anyone you want pin on your butter bars. Usually it is parents/grand parents/significant other, or just someone who helped you on your path to becoming an officer. Most people divide the duties up into right and left shoulder and one for the flight cap if you really want to spread the love around.

Rev

[ 26. November 2005, 14:18: Message edited by: DaRevrend ]

Any officer, regardless of branch, active, guard or reserve can commision you. Retired counts too, but I don't believe they are required to be in uniform. If they can squeeze into it, it would probably look more professional.

As for who pin's on your bars, it could be your mom, it could be you dog. It's totally up to you.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

[ 26. November 2005, 14:14: Message edited by: Cap-10 ]

Edited by Cap-10

If any of you are in charge of putting together your commissioning ceremonies for December or next spring, I was in charge of putting together my Dets ceremony this past May. It went really well. I have a script I could pass on, along with a program and flyer that could be used as templates for future use. Just PM me or give me your email address.

Grandpa

• 3 years later...
Does anyone know if separated officers are allowed to administer an oath?

Yes they can. My father in law has been retired (Capt) for quite some time and he gave me my oath. Cap-10 summed it up in his post above.

Yes they can. My father in law has been retired (Capt) for quite some time and he gave me my oath. Cap-10 summed it up in his post above.

There is a difference between Separated and Retired officers, I think letsgofast was asking if an Officer who resigned his commission or separated through some other means before serving 20 years and retiring can give the oath. If I recall correctly, a retired officer still technically holds his commission while an officer who leaves before 20 generally has to resign his commission so I'd be curious if that makes a difference, Any ideas?

There is a difference between Separated and Retired officers, I think letsgofast was asking if an Officer who resigned his commission or separated through some other means before serving 20 years and retiring can give the oath. If I recall correctly, a retired officer still technically holds his commission while an officer who leaves before 20 generally has to resign his commission so I'd be curious if that makes a difference, Any ideas?

Yes, despite the 30 additional pounds and funny mustache, I still hold my commission despite being retired. "Separated" officers most likely resigned their commissions when the separated, so as far as I know they cannot administer the oath of office.

Cheers! M2

What about for the first salute? I'm assuming that has to be in uniform.

Well, since the only time you really ever salute is in uniform, I would probably venture a "yes"...

And what's with the silver dollar for the first salute?

Tradition is that once you receive your first salute after your commissioning, you present that troop with a silver dollar, and let them know that it was your first (in a manner of speaking). Usually it would happen when you first pulled through the gates at your first base, but many detachments now have a ceremony at their commissioning that allows you to receive your first salute in front of everyone after you take your oath. It would still be customary to give this troop a silver dollar, but I would also get another one to give to your first "real, active duty" salute.

Nope, wrong-o Jenkspaz. It is your first salute as a commissioned officer by an enlisted person, and commissioning ceremonies have been followed up by a first salute ceremony for years. The coin symbolically acknowledges the receipt of respect due the new rank and position. It's origins are unknown, but the Air Force adopted it from the Army, and some reports say it dates back to the 19th century. Others hold that the tradition came from the British during the Colonial Period. The Navy also does it as do the Marines.

Note that the coin of choice is a American Eagle pure silver dollar, which costs about $15-20. No SBA's, Sacagawea's or Presidential, quarter sized alloy dollar coins. Most people like to get the coin from the year of commission, but that is not a requirement.

We had a SSgt at my AFROTC det who was well-liked, and the guy cleared numerous silver dollars at every commissioning.

It is a tradition worth continuing. Don't fuck it up!

Cheers! M2

p.s. KState_Poke22, as long as your friend can still legally wear his uniform (i.e. he was honorably discharged and he is within USMC standards of appearance), he can be in uniform as the recipient of your first salute. I confirmed that with the retired Marine Gunny Sergeant I work with. And let me be one of the first to offer my congratulations...

Nope, wrong-o Jenkspaz. It is your first salute as a commissioned officer by an enlisted person...

That's whay I was implying, but I guess it didn't come off that way. As for doing the first salute during the commissioning ceremony, I was unaware it had been going on for awhile. The military members in my family (and others that I met that day) that attended my commissioning were surprised that we "staged" our first salute. They were unaware that this practice was common. This is why I assumed that it had just recently been started in the past decade or so. Thanks for the correction. And I agree with you about the real silver dollar. I picked up two of them, and I think it means a lot more when they are the real thing, not a composite knock-off.

That's whay I was implying, but I guess it didn't come off that way. As for doing the first salute during the commissioning ceremony, I was unaware it had been going on for awhile. The military members in my family (and others that I met that day) that attended my commissioning were surprised that we "staged" our first salute. They were unaware that this practice was common. This is why I assumed that it had just recently been started in the past decade or so. Thanks for the correction. And I agree with you about the real silver dollar. I picked up two of them, and I think it means a lot more when they are the real thing, not a composite knock-off.

I gave a composite knock-off. It was part of a batch of "Back pay" that was issued to my father upon arriving at Clark AB en route home from Hanoi so that he could have some "Spending money". I had a real silver one to give out in a nice case and everything, but when he commissioned me, Dad handed that thing to me and said "Give this to Kim" (My first salute). It was an un-polished composite "Silver" dollar from 1973 that Dad had obviously put into a cheap plastic holder he got at a coin store... Didn't have time to ask any questions during the whole ceremony, but I gave it to the SSgt who had come up for my ceremony. Later when Dad told us the story of where that coin came from we were stunned.

I thought giving a crappy composite dollar was okay in that situation.

So what's the deal with who can commission you? Has to be an ACTIVE duty officer? Or can they be a retired officer? Any branch? If they are retired, should they be in uniform or anything?

per AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2006, the person appointing the oath must be active or retired.

3. Administering the Oath. Persons being appointed or commissioned in the Air Force may take the oath before a:

3.1. Civil official authorized by law to administer oaths.

3.2. Commissioned officer of any component of any Armed Force of the United States (includes Reserve components), whether on active duty or retired. (This includes commissioned warrant officers of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.)

3.3. Warrant officer serving on active duty as an adjutant, assistant adjutant, acting adjutant, or personnel adjutant of a command.

per AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2006, the person appointing the oath must be active or retired.

3. Administering the Oath. Persons being appointed or commissioned in the Air Force may take the oath before a:

3.1. Civil official authorized by law to administer oaths.

3.2. Commissioned officer of any component of any Armed Force of the United States (includes Reserve components), whether on active duty or retired. (This includes commissioned warrant officers of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.)

3.3. Warrant officer serving on active duty as an adjutant, assistant adjutant, acting adjutant, or personnel adjutant of a command.

Thanks for posting that. I was about to pull out (sts) the civil officials part. Judge, notary public, etc, so that could include many more people than you might have been limited to.

I gave a composite knock-off. It was part of a batch of "Back pay" that was issued to my father upon arriving at Clark AB en route home from Hanoi so that he could have some "Spending money". I had a real silver one to give out in a nice case and everything, but when he commissioned me, Dad handed that thing to me and said "Give this to Kim" (My first salute). It was an un-polished composite "Silver" dollar from 1973 that Dad had obviously put into a cheap plastic holder he got at a coin store... Didn't have time to ask any questions during the whole ceremony, but I gave it to the SSgt who had come up for my ceremony. Later when Dad told us the story of where that coin came from we were stunned.

I thought giving a crappy composite dollar was okay in that situation.

discus, I hope your old man is still around. If so, please pass on my utmost respects to him.

If not, :flag_waving::beer: for his service in that place. Not voluntary, I'm sure, but damned tough. How long?

Apologies for the thread hijack...

We had the option to "Stage" our first salute at the ceremony or save it for our first duty location. I was say it was about 50/50. The people who "Staged" usually had someone important (family, close friend) they wanted to share it with. I worked (part time in college) with an active duty TSgt (Former recruiter) and decided he would appreciate it more that random Airman at the gate. Some chose one of the Det NCOs for the same reason. I'm sure if you told your det you wanted to save for your first base they would let you.

As stated earlier, definately get the real deal...spend the money, it's not that much. Also if you save it for your base and the opportunity presents itself take the time to pull the recipient aside and tell them about it. You never know when you might make a big impression on a possibly otherwise unaware Airman or NCO.

I meant separated and not retired. Spoke to cadre and they said separated officers cannot because they did indeed 'give up' their commission (and received nice paychecks as a bonus). Oh well..

Separated Officers that are still serving out their inactive reserve commitment can still administer the oath. For example an officer serves his/her 4 years then separates and usually will have an additional 4 year commitment in the inactive reserves thus will still hold their commission until that commitment expires.

I had the pleasure of getting AFPC to clarify this so that I could be commissioned by person of choice.

later

Separated Officers that are still serving out their inactive reserve commitment can still administer the oath. For example an officer serves his/her 4 years then separates and usually will have an additional 4 year commitment in the inactive reserves thus will still hold their commission until that commitment expires.

I had the pleasure of getting AFPC to clarify this so that I could be commissioned by person of choice.

later

That's awesome detail. Thanks.