General field training info

Guest Salukipilot2685

One more thing.

Anyone know if I need to report into my COC or back at my Det for like a FT de-brief? My FTO at camp said we all would need to do that post-FT. Not sure.

Rieboldt

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't have to. Our COC did that during Lead Lab one day. If you live near your Det you can pop your head in just to be safe but it shouldn't be necessary. Many people go home for the summer and are hundreds of miles from their Det(I usually was) so making them report in within a certain timeframe would be dumb.

• 3 months later...
Guest C17hopefull

Our COC at my det told us 200's that AFROTC is considering making the FTM test at Field Training a go/no-go test meaning you can get sent home if you dont get a certain score just like the PFA? Any information on this?

I haven't heard this, but I think it's a good idea.

When I was a CTA last year, we had some cadets fail both the FTM test and Airman's Manual (open book) tests!! As gay as FT may be, that's ridiculous. Maybe this will help some people take the preparation a little more seriously...?

• 3 weeks later...
What are some good jobs to get/request at FT? Anybody had any good luck with them?

Squadron Commander sucks, especially first rotation, but its an outstanding way to get noticed and if you do a good job then it speaks volumes. If you're confident you can do a good job its a good one to request. Safety Officer sucks, I was Safety Officer and you have to stay that way the entire encampment...you're pretty much the flight mom.

What are some good jobs to get/request at FT? Anybody had any good luck with them?

Volunteer for everything possible. If they insist that you choose something choose group staff. Your life will suck for that week but the rest of FT will be a breeze and you will probably do well in the end because of that experience.

When I went through, I was first rotation FLT/CC. My first TWO days sucked really badly, but after that, I didn't have another leadership position. It made the rest of the camp a lot better-- just being a good team player and follower.

When I went back as a CTA this year, we were rough on the 1st rotation staff, especially FLT/CC, but you don't really expect much out them, so if they do ANYTHING right, it's amazing. Be careful asking for GP staff unless you really want it. Your life will be miserable, and usually the camp COCs are way worse than any FTO out there.

Last thing- like all of FT, a lot of it will depend on your FTO. Some FTOs have it all laid out ahead of time... (i.e. 1st person gets FLT/CD, 3rd get FLT/CC, 4th gets Safety, etc) Others will actually go by what you ask for, but you'll probably never know which method they use. I'm sure you've heard this before, but whatever position you do get, just do your best with it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PBruton

It might sound weird, but being the Flight Safety Officer is a GREAT position to have. It's a non-leadership, so you will get a chance at one leadership role at minimum other than FLT/FSO. This gives you a chance to be outspoken in a good way - taking care of your people.

Similar: D&C, AO

Also Great: anything with a commander as the last word

My Blog

It might sound weird, but being the Flight Safety Officer is a GREAT position to have. It's a non-leadership, so you will get a chance at one leadership role at minimum other than FLT/FSO. This gives you a chance to be outspoken in a good way - taking care of your people.

Similar: D&C, AO

Also Great: anything with a commander as the last word

My Blog

If you're going to volunteer for D&C, make sure you know your sh*t like the back of your hand. You need to be able to command your flight like you've been doing it for years. Also, make sure you know counter march. Your flight will eventually want to know how to do it, and if you can teach it to them so that they can retain it, your FTO will take notice in a good way.

Guest atlantis15
2009 FTM out--

wow... they got it out early this year. I browsed through it, and it looks like they changed a lot of the things... but some are still weird... I guess that's what happens when they try to align with OTS.

I love the dining hall procedure diagrams...I like it though in terms of writing which information is required to be known, and which stuff one should be familar with though.

Guest C17hopefull
I love the dining hall procedure diagrams...I like it though in terms of writing which information is required to be known, and which stuff one should be familar with though.

True statement right there, makes things a lot easier to study knowing what HAS to be memorized and which stuff just has to be known for the most part.

True statement right there, makes things a lot easier to study knowing what HAS to be memorized and which stuff just has to be known for the most part.

I have a funny feeling we will end up having to know all of it anyways.

so, i heard this and had to see for myself if it really was true or not...

FTM, page 65- "Cadets may have juice, coffee, etc. in addition to the required liquids."

ETC-- so, soda too? chocolate milk? maybe at least they'll serve Ovaltine... because it's 40% better than Yohoo or whatever they say.

WOW.

• 2 months later...
Guest derek505
2009 FTM out--

wow... they got it out early this year. I browsed through it, and it looks like they changed a lot of the things... but some are still weird... I guess that's what happens when they try to align with OTS.

Hey guys. Just a heads up, this PDF is a draft of the 2009 FTM. This is the review copy they sent out to the Dets so we could look for errors. I have the final version here in hard copy and it definitely has differences from this PDF. This one is good to get the gist of it, but don't use it for training, and def don't us it if you are going to FT this summer! :beer:

Edited by derek505

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know when we can expect to get our camp dates? I'm trying to schedule summer classes, etc, but I obviously can't finalize anything until I know when I need to be at Maxwell.

Also, I'm curious to know who's gonna be wearing ABUs...our det won't issue them to us, despite the fact that a) they're authorized, and b) we have like 100 sets in the storage room. :banghead:

Edited by LoneWolf121188

Guest AirForceZip
Anyone know when we can expect to get our camp dates? I'm trying to schedule summer classes, etc, but I obviously can't finalize anything until I know when I need to be at Maxwell.

Also, I'm curious to know who's gonna be wearing ABUs...our det won't issue them to us, despite the fact that a) they're authorized, and b) we have like 100 sets in the storage room. :banghead:

I think that if you talk to your NCOs you can work it out to get you an encampment that works with school. I'm not taking summer classes, but have other things that I need to do at certain times and I'm told that I can get an early encampment.

No ABUs for me. Same situation, only our det told us they are going to the :M16: 100s.