General field training info

Guest Salukipilot2685

just play the game. you have to go to FT if you're in ROTC, so make the most of it. sure it sucks that you lose a month out of summer, but your trading it for a future career in the Air Force. Go there with a good attitude, work hard but find time to relax (yeah, its hard to find, but its there), relish the small victories, and don't be "that guy"

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cmaston

You got everything about FT; play the game. If nothing else look at as pledging the AFfor 4-6 weeks.

Learn how to deal with the jackass who wants to be DG & doesn't get the big picture. They make it to AD and become the buddy f+?*ers who you will be in classes with at ASBC, flight school (share gouge and teach people shit that you know) and other training programs. There is no DG at ASBC but yet some idiots try and earn the nonexistant award rather than be a team player. They are also the OPR bullet guys, always looking to do something just for a bullet.

FT lessons will help you in all AETC programs!!! Just found that out coming to NAV school after being in the other side of the AF.

Dude, FT is going to be exactly what you want it to be. If you go in thinking its going to be the gayest thing ever, guess what...its going to be the gayest thing ever. Or you can not be a giant vag, realize that you have to roll with the bad to get to the cool, go make some good friends, and have a good time doing it. Hell the Air Force could tell me to go make a snow angel in 4 feet of snow wearing a damn speedo, and in turn they will give me a shot at learning how to fly jets...and you will see my shivering fat ass in a bright red speedo with a smile ear to ear rollin around in the snow. Its really not a big deal, its mandated so don't let it be a waste of your time. Just go in with a good attitude and mentality, jump through the hoops and earn yourself the commission.

Guest AdamSanes

This is a little off topic but anyways on a side note, I have a question/scenario. For Example, Is it possible for someone who lives in Florida to go to Field Training in Ellsworth? It wouldn't make sense to me sense Tyndall Is ALOT closer, but is it possible?

Thanks

Guest XQSME

You will go where ever AFROTC tell you to go. I've never really heard them putting someone in a FT just because it is close to home. But who knows it could happen.

It doesn't matter where you're from. Its all about slots that have to be filled, sure if they can cut down the travel cost its a bonus. But its not really a consideration I have ever seen them take.

• 2 months later...

Just know that it is going to suck. However, even though it sucks you can still find humor in a lot of things there that will help you get through.

-Be a water monitor, you can look around at all the other cadets shoveling food in their mouths and talk with the other water monitors under your breath. Not to mention the fact that you get to come inside (air conditioning) as soon as you get to the chow hall.

-Be goofy. Shouldn't be too hard since you'll be exhausted the whole time. Being goofy will keep you and your flightmates entertained. Just don't get carried away with it.

-Motivational PT... you will be in awesome shape by the end of FT, you can really piss your CTA off by wanting to do a lot of reps during motivational PT. Since they have to do it with you, they will have to do the added reps and will not be happy since they don't PT any other time of the day. (PS. Its awesome when your flight can do more pushups than your CTA).

-Watch people fall asleep in the theater. They will be clearly asleep but argue that they weren't when they get caught.

Just make the best of it and find little things that will keep you amused during FT and you will do fine... its only 4 weeks (6 for some) and hey... its not Iraq

Guest sdafcadet

Hey everyone, I know I've been posting a lot on here. Just gearing up for FT!

A lot of people have been telling me to get inserts before I leave for FT. Seems like there are a million out there. Which ones should I get? Should I get different ones for the boots and low quarters? Any good tips for blister prevention?

Originally posted by sdafcadet:

Which ones should I get?

I recommend getting the 3/4 length athletic insoles with the heel pad, arch supporter, and toe pad. The 3/4 length allows enough room for your toes that it shouldn't inhibit motion.

Should I get different ones for the boots and low quarters?

I would say no because I bought two pair of the same insoles and used them in both my boots and my low quarters and it worked just fine...three times.

Any good tips for blister prevention?

Properly break-in your boots and shoes and always wear a pair of cotton athletic socks under your black wool/cotton socks when in BDUs AND Blues.

Just a few suggestions. Good luck.

Guest Dactyl

Regarding insoles: anything but the gel ones will work great, the gel tends to melt in the heat and mess your boots and socks up.

Regarding blisters: If you are really concerned about them, bring a bunch of moleskin and gold bond foot cream. If you're willing to spend the big bucks, the Sock Company (google?) makes teflon coated socks you can order online for 8 bucks a pair (I took some to FT and didn't get a single blister in boots).

Guest viper24

"2" on inserts are a must. I had Dr Sholes (spelling?) gel inserts as a cadet and as a CTA and they were money. You will hate yourself if you dont get a pair. You do get chances to go to the BX, so if you forget them, you can get them at FT.

As for preventing blisters, you should be wearing your combat boots every day until FT. They need to be broken in as much as possible. My friends and I wore them in the shower and then around all day so they form to your feet (make sure its a nice and hot day if you do this). It worked great. Try jogging in them too. Same for the low quarters and running shoes, make sure they are broken in really well. You will wear your combat boots the most, then running shoes, then low quarters the least. Good luck at FT!

• 5 months later...

-Know the FTM cover to cover before you go

-I folded all my clothes, including socks and underwear, and put them neatly in ziploc bags. It sounds overkill but when everyone else was scrambling to unpack, i just pulled stuff out and put it right in the drawer.

-Go to church on sunday. staying in the dorm just means you get to shine shoes or vacuum or do some other BS work.

-Have the balls to speak up and do what you think needs to be done. Even more importantly, know when to STFU. Request first rotation flight commander if you think you've prepared well enough. The first few days are a cluster anyway and it'll give you a chance to set the bar. If you do well enough, you'll be done with your leadership position after the first week.

-Take it seriously. You'll have all kinds of people tell you it sucks and don't even worry about it. BS. FT is the most important thing you've done thus far in your 'military career.' It'll determine what jobs you get as a POC and will play a role in your categorization. Don't be an a$$hole... just take it seriously.

-Bond with every single person in your flight. You're only there 4 weeks so don't let stupid cliques form and never talk bad about anyone to other flight mates. It'll divide the flight and bite you in the a$$. Don't think of it as a competition. If you prepare, take care of your flight mates, and have a good attitude then the rankings will take care of themselves.

-Know when it's time to goof off and laugh. Every chance you get to lighten the mood, take it. Everyone will appreciate it.

That's enough from me. PM if you'd like to hear more ramblings. Good luck.

- Start preparing now, the sooner the better.

- Don't be that guy that everyone hates, it'll bust your ranking. And don't walk in telling everyone you'll make DG or something like that, go in there wanting to do the best you can. It sounds retarded but there was guy from my flight that on TD-0 told everyone he was going to be a DG, I wonder where he finished.

- The FTOs and COC at FT always say if we don't notice you, it's bad. Well, if you are always getting yelled at it's most likely bad, but don't go there trying to get by under the radar. Step up.

- At E1 in 2005, we practiced IDEs all the time for the first week or so. This isn't going to be the case anymore, make sure you get that taken care of at the Det.

- Depending on where you go, get squared away on transitory drill. At Ellsworth you are always marching to get anywhere, the chow hall is about a mile away or so, its a long march with a lot of column movements.

- Get in shape, I spotted two cadets that didn't pass the PFT, its a bummer when you get sent home on TD-14 for not passing the first or second PFT.

- Remember, you FTOs and CTAs look for the littlest things, keep your bearing and press on. Don't feel like a retard for asking your flight mates for help. You're all in the same boat.

- There is so much you have to cover before FT, just do the best you can now, get the FTM from last year and read it, not much changes every year maybe with the exception of warrior knowledge, and get your hands on a copy of the new Airman's Manual, they are focusing a lot of stuff on that.

PM me if you need more info.

It all depends.I don't think talking about it helps one way or the other, necessarily. But it can definitely do harm.

Case in point...Girl in my flight talked ALL THE TIME about how she was the Wing Commander at her det and was "expected" to get DG.

She got bottom third.

I kept my mouth shut, helped others who needed it and knew my sh*t. I got DG.

Just keep your head screwed on tight and don't be a douche.

my .02

The best piece of advice is to not take anyone's advice. ;) I remember people told me "raise your hand and volunteer for everything" or "if you know how to do bed making stuff and what not you'll be very noticied".

Seriously though, there is no secret to FT. Sure, tips are great to make life suck less while you're there, but it's all going to come down to your FTO. I was blessed with an FTO who 1) Didn't want to be there and seemed to care less how he ranked his cadets, 2) Thought the Air Force wasn't very "military" since we don't all shoot guns and roll around in the mud, and 3) Pronounced "stratify" as "stratisfy"... "We are not here to train you, but to stratisfy you among your peers".

As for tips, just know your shit - it makes life easier. Road guard procedures, D&C, dining facility procedures, etc. It's not that hard and it's amazing how people still couldn't figure it out by TD-28. Just remember it's all a game. 341's, Form 17's... just training tools to try to mind f**k you.

Do your best to keep your fist from meeting a CTAs face. I especially loved the ones who forgot they were still cadets and tried to talk as if they had years of experience as officers on active duty. Several times I wanted to bust out my seven standard responses, "Sir, may I make a statement!... You're still a cadet".

FallingOsh-

"-Go to church on sunday. staying in the dorm just means you get to shine shoes or vacuum or do some other BS work."

I disagree. I never went to church. Instead, I closed my door and blinds and laid in bed. I'm a horrible cadet.

Guest jad1900

Make decisions under pressure, and make them with confidence. Making a wrong decision with three people yelling at you is better than making no decision at all. That being said, for crying out loud don't make the same decision over and over again. Listen to who is correcting you and do it. If you're a quick learn, you get major brownie points.

Don't be a brown nosing suck up. Yes, there are FTOs/CTAs that can be receptive to that, but the majority of the time, you're just asking to be hated on by them after lights out behind closed doors.

Seek out leadership opportunities. Notice I didn't say "positions". Yes, if you have the opporunity to take a high vis position (and you know you can kick ass and take names) grab it...especially early on. But even if you're not the Flt/CC or Stando, be looking for ways to actively contribute at all times.

Have a sense of humor and camaraderie. You can be Cadet Billy Badass and still get negative points b/c you're 150% mission and 0% people. Your trainers want to see that you have dynamic characteristics.

Be in shape! If you go to FT having not done so hot on the QFR (and you know who you are) and still haven't been training in the weeks/months leading up to FT (and you know who you are), it shows you don't give a crap, and it will make your time there much more difficult.

Finally, it's been beaten to death, but dammit know your FTM. If you have that thing down when you get off the bus, you'll be head and shoulders above 80% of your encampment and you'll be surprised how easy everything comes to you at FT.

That's my take from someone who's been on both sides of the house at FT. Take it or leave it. Sorry for writing a book.

• 7 months later...

Hey all. My sister in law was just sent home from AFROTC field training for failure on the PT test. It's strange to me that she failed as she's a varsity athlete in an endurance sport, but I'm assuming something to do with the field training atmosphere had something to do with it.

My question is: what are her options? She's getting some advice from her Det, but getting additional info to check against what's she's being told is never a bad thing. Is she effectively done altogether? There's some discussion of generating some kind of waiver to allow her to return to field training, but then she'd owe an additional year on her committment or somesuch... doesn't pass my smell test.

I was an OTS guy (love that 13 week commissioning camp) so don't know much about the ROTC thing so I'm reluctant to give her any advice without first hand knowledge.

Regards, Square

The first question is whether she was on scholarship or not. If she was not on scholarship, she is most likely out. If she was on scholarship, she might have a shot, but people don't get that opportunity very often. I have heard of a few people getting waivers for failing the PFT at FT and returning the following summer, but they were all on scholarship, and had strong support from their cadre. As for the extra year commitment...that is definitely bull. People have to leave FT all the time and return the following year, and none of them incur an extra commitment of any kind.

It is possible, but she will need a really convincing letter from her commander. Playing a varsity sport should help.

Guest Monte

So far all that I've seen (I'm a super senior and graduating in may) is that people who are removed from FT with prejudice (things under their control, i.e weight and failing PT) means they get the boot. I wouldn't be suprised even if she was on scholarship if she got the boot. ROTC is being really picky about their money and its one less thing they have to pay for.

Best bet for her is to get an outstanding letter from her PAS send to HQAFROTC telling them to let her stay, otherwise I'd expect for her to be gone.

Cell Dweller is probably spot on. But to be honest, if you can't pass the AF PFT, that's pretty damn bad. You have to be in horrendous shape to not be able to pass; I find it almost impossible to believe that a "varsity athlete" can not pass the PFT. Regardless, everyone should go to FT being able to pass the PFT. If they go not being able to pass it (as in this case...unless they made her take it w/ a sprained ankle, then that's a different story), then that's their own damn fault and I don't feel sorry for them. She's probably going to get the boot unless their some very good circumstances on her side.

Right now if you fail the PFT at FT you might as well start packing your shit to turn back in. According to my FTM "You must pass the PFT by TD-14 and not be rated as Unsat or in any preformance factor or recieve and overall score of Unsat or Marginal" Further "Any cadet who does not pass one of the two PFTs offered prior to TD-14 will be removed from the FTU with prejudice and will be rated as unsat on the Physical Fitness PFR on the FTPR." The key words in that are "removed with prejudice". If that happens are you are not ranked number one at your Det you are gone. That happened last year to a friend of mine and he is now in Army ROTC. Good luck to her but short of knowing Col. Kunzweiler she is toast.

Somewhat back on topic, she'll get a disenrollment investigation, and that's where she can make her case and get people in her det to say she's not horrible. Depending on her overall pic, she may get let back in and allowed to redo FT (as my roommate at FT was able to do), or just be disenrolled. The regs also say that she can try to re-enroll with a waiver from HQ for being disenrolled. FWIW.