Road to a Pilot slot

Guest samdurbinjr

Guest taxcollector

Hello everybody, I am currently 24 year old AD SSgt who wants become a pilot; my DOS is Nov '09. Credit wise I am techincally a sophmore, but that probably won't hold up when I transfer my classes. My question is quite simple, I have wanted to be a pilot for some time, specifically fighter, however, I am not entirely sure the best route to take. Since I am so old and 3 years away from getting my degree I want to do this the smartest and fastest way - one shot, one kill (I'll be turning 28 the year I graduate). I am curious as to any advice some of you might have. I have yet to take my AFOQT, no problems physically (which I took a Class III when I joined), and my GPA won't be an issue because I am anal about my grades. I understand that going AD is a risk and I am may not get a fighter track whereas in the Guard/Reserve I am guaranteed whichever that unit flies. Exactly what steps should I be taking? Should I rule out ROTC in general and focus on one specific ANG/RES unit (I am looking at Des Moines, IA and Portland, OR). My original way of thinking was simple, pick a single ANG unit that I want to fly at, after I seperate Active Duty, join that unit and start networking which would inevitably lead to flying what I want after I meet all the requirements. Up until now I have ruled out AD for two reasons, One: I want to get a nursing degree and I am so confident that the AF will look past my goal of becoming a pilot and put me into nursing, which they need desperately. Secondly: I want to fly, plain and simple, up to the day I get out which hopefully would be 20 years; becoming a wing king or working at headquarters/TACC, etc isn't what I want. Speaking of getting a nursing degree which will take every bit of 3 years to accomplish, should I go with something that will take less time such as history, psychology, etc? I could always go back and do nursing when I graduate.

I am just looking for advice on my outlook, there are far more experienced and knowledgable people out there that I hope I can learn from.

Thanks,

Caleb

Guest taxcollector

165LM,

I'm not so much looking for a "what should I do" but, more along the lines of advice when making the actual decision; the pros and cons or different perspectives if you will, and is my way of thinking: joining the unit I want to fly with wise, advice on networking, etc. I apologize if it sounds like I've haven't done a search, I have. It's becoming crunch time and I have to start making some serious career based decisions soon and I don't want to look back and have any 'what if' thoughts. I hope you can understand where I am coming from.

I can't thank the Baseops admins enough for a wonderful site filled with tons of knowledge!

This one's on me,

Cheers!

:beer:

CK

Edited by taxcollector

Well going in closed minded is definitely going to hurt your chances. From what I've heard there are a lot of "fighter only" guys that are sooooo sure they want it until they actually get into UPT and change their minds. Another thing, a fighter is NEVER guaranteed even if you get picked up by whatever Guard/Reserve unit that flies them. Even if they send you to UPT, you still have to graduate with a certain grade or you won't even move on whereas if you go AD you can still move to something other than fighters. I saw a post on airforceots.com about a guy saying that this guy in his UPT class had over 2200 hours and had an F-16 waiting for him but didn't get through T-6's...

I am not trying to be negative, but this is a very very very competitive career to get and from my experience with talking to Guard/Reserve fighter units, they want guys that are already part of the unit and even if you join it there is no guarantee + you could possibly get stuck doing something you don't want to be doing and passing up that age limit.... Have you ever flown before? I had the same attitude as you looking at it before I had even flown and now that I just about have my license, I realize how much fun it is just flying a Cessna 172 and no matter what I get, I know I'll be happy. Just my .02

*sorry if the sentence structure is poor, it's late and I'm tired + going to bed*

Edited by davidg
  • Like 1

I agree with davidg, yea you know what airframe your going to fly by getting accepted into a guard/reserve unit but you still have perform at a certain level to move on to followon training. As far as ruling out AD because of a nursing degree, although I understand where your coming from, that question would probably be best answered by a PAS at some ROTC det around your area. It would seem to me that if you were well qualified for a pilot slot, not on the fence, then the pilot boards wouldn't decline you application simply because you got a nursing degree.

Guest CAVEMAN

One shot one kill; you sound like Marine material to me. You might want to check out the USMC PLC guaranteed Air program. You are not guaranteed fighters but you will get an air slot.

One shot one kill; you sound like Marine material to me. You might want to check out the USMC PLC guaranteed Air program. You are not guaranteed fighters but you will get an air slot.

This would be a great deal to go to, but like I've said in the other threads, I can tell you first hand that PLC/OCS is ROUGH. If your body has any sort of flaw OCS will find it and if it limits you in any way you will get sent home. If you're considering this at all, you better be able to run, run some more and when you're done running, run even further... Also you have to be VERY open to rotary because from what I gathered at Airwarriors.com, there is a 75% chance that's what you'll get. I think it would have been a great opportunity to have flown for them, but I'm happy with the way things have worked out for me now that I'm selected for OTS w/ the AF.

Edited by davidg

I would try clepping out of as many courses as possible. We had a guy do this at my base, and he had his bachelors degree in a year and a half. This is very rare, but it can be done. Also, I wouldn't decide on an airframe until you get into UPT and see what you're up against. I have been given this advice by everyone who has gone through UPT so far, and I'm adhering to it. You could also double up on your classes, and take a crap-load of hours. You'd have no life for a while, but if you really want to fly, it will be worth it.

Guest taxcollector

Would an online degree suffice? I had a close friend of mine earn both his bachelor's master's degree in just over 2 years.

Edited by taxcollector

• 1 month later...
Guest jt1080
Would an online degree suffice? I had a close friend of mine earn both his bachelor's master's degree in just over 2 years.

As long as it is from a regionally accredited school you should be fine. I'm finishing up my bachelor's through UMUC and it is as good as any "traditional" college degree.

Good advice above. Get your degree. You really can't send out your application to any units without it, or unless you're within 180 days of graduating.

And, by waiting to finish your degree (which you have to do), this will give you time to get flight time/good AFOQT scores and ultimately a good PCSM score. It'll also give you time to look on wantscheck.com and this site, for pilot selection boards at various units.

My advice is also not to limit yourself just to fighter units as they typically hire from within/every 1-2 years/get more applicants than others/etc.

Try a unit that maybe doesn't fly fighters but has an otherwise kick-ass mission, like a Special Ops unit. Doing so certainly worked out well for me :thumbsup:

So, finish your degree first, then your various scores, letters of rec. Then make contacts at units you're interested in and possibly go visit (check with the POC at each unit before you do as some units may not have time for a visit due to their high ops tempo).

Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

As far as getting your nursing degree, I would do whatever makes you happy. Big Blue wanted me to be a computer science major. I hate math, so I picked criminal justice. I was told it would hurt my pilot chances, but it ended up not mattering (mainly because it's bs). Do what will make you happy. If you take the AF out of the equation, ask yourself if you would still be happy working with your history degree. If so, then do it. But if you really want to get your nursing degree, then by all means, do it.

One: I want to get a nursing degree.

Not to be a complete asshole or anything, but if you don't expect to get some shit from Guard units (ESPECIALLY fighter units) over this, you are wrong.

Good on ya for wanting to be a nurse though! :salut: