Road to a Pilot slot

Guest samdurbinjr

Guest markkyle66

Hey guys! I have some questions and be prepared because some are probably dumb. Once you graduate from college with a bachelor degree (and lets say you participated in AFROTC) where do you go from there in the process of becomming an AF pilot? I have an idea but not exactly sure so I just wanted to clear some things up. Also how do you get from there to getting into UPT?

Your junior year in ROTC you'll get your pilot slot (hopefully), then you have a FC1 medical. If you pass that, you're medically cleared to fly. From there, after graduation/commissioning you'll go to UPT. If you don't have your private license by then, you'll do IFT (get your license); if you do, you'll go to UPT. The time between graduation and UPT depends...sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's 8-13 months (seems to be the average nowadays). This is all assuming you did well enough in school and ROTC to get a slot and you didn't screw anything up (i.e. get a DUI, MIP, etc.)

Guest skipplet

If you don't do ROTC, then after you graduate (or a little before) you can start talking to officer recruiters or the ANG/AFRES

Originally posted by Ryder1587:

I know they send you to work with a squadron for a while before UPT while you wait, correct? Normally how much free time do you have before you go do this though?

Do a search on casual status.

[ 13. October 2005, 21:21: Message edited by: Karl ]

Couple additions/clarifications to Brabus' comments:

If they sent you for casual status before starting UPT, it may or may not be at the base where you are doing UPT. I did my casual status at CBM, where I also did UPT. We had casual LT's in my last squdaron that helped out with anything and everthing.

Everyone must have there Private Lic before starting UPT. If you don't you will go thru IFT (basically the AF paying for you to get your PPL thru a local FBO.) You normally do this while you are on casual status. I know the AF is pushing ASBC really hard as well, so a 5 week vacation to Maxwell may also be in order before starting UPT.

Hoser

• 5 months later...
Guest samdurbinjr

Ok I know I know this question has been asked prolly an unbelievable amount of time. I have about 75 credit hours now in college I know I have got to finish my EE degree. I know I need to take the AFOQT asap. I am going to basic in less than a week so I will work on that in a few months. I have been working for 3 weeks on my pilots license and should have it (fingers crossed) on this thursday with the minumum hours required. I want to know what else I need to do. I want to try and finish up my EE degree while on active duty with in two years or three. I guess that the AECP will not work for going on to be a pilot if I am wrong please correct me. My grades are descent 3.0 or higher. Other than gettting into OTS how does one actully get a shot at UPT? What do I need to do. I plan on continuing to fly as much as possible. Please help as you can tell I am running out of time to get my ducks in a row. Thanks Sam Durbin.

Guest samdurbinjr

Oh one other thing then I will shut up. What is the whole idea with only having 90 credit hours then finishing up within 5 years of commision. I could take one more semester full of school and apply and possibly get accepted to UPT. Is it really different than just going through OTS, different process all together or what. Thanks again, Sam.

Guest chosen_one50

The selection competition for OTS is MUCH more intense than ROTC or Academy. I would suggest going the ROTC route epecially if you are going to be prior enlisted, that GI Bill money is killer, not to mention you will probably be on scholarship coming out of AD.

If you will already have your Bachelor's and you want to do OTS, then any advantage you have over the next guy will be key. Flight hours, commander's rating, letters of reccomendation, etc. will help immensely. I've known guys who were guranteed UPT slots before starting OTS, but I don't know if they still do that. I would talk to maybe a recruiter or something like that to get the skinny on that, and make sure they don't talk you into committing without a committment on their part.

Guest flecth033

Sam,

Before I give you some info I want you to know that I am not a pilot and I am working on getting a slot also.. i have picked up some good info on this site and on my qwest so I can give you some info that you can or cannot take. 1st, you have a 99.9% chance of NOT getting the 90 credit hour commissioning waiver on Active Duty. Your best chance for that would be the Guard, and believe me, you have to be apart of that unit or they have to want you to fly for them bad.

It sounds like a recruiter has given you some info to make you sign the line.

2nd, Not to get personal but why did you enlist ? The reason why I ask is because you want to fly and you have already started college and it sounds like you are doing good. Did you ever think about ROTC or getting an OTS slot ? It's gonna be hard to finish a EE degree the way you think its gonna happen.

Is it really different than just going through OTS, different process all together or what.
Since you are enlisting you will have to go through OTS in order to become an Officer, unless you go through ROTC while enlisted (there is a program for it), or get a guard unit that sends you to AMS (guard OTS). As far as what to do, if you are off to basic in a week I wouldn't worry about the AFOQT for awhile. Worry about basic and tech school and getting "settled in" because you have a lot of time to take the AFOQT. Not sure if you know about how your PCSM score works but go to the top of this page and read the links USAF UPT, AFOQT, BAT and do a search on different topics like those. You will learn how your flying hours will help you out.

Truthfully if i were you I would really look into ROTC or OTS. It is not to late to do one of those instead of enlisting. If you want to enlist maybe think about enlisting in the guard. This will give you your time in and give you the best situation to finish your degree. You might already be doing this, I'm stupid for not asking first. If I were in your shoes with already have started school, wanting to fly, and wanting to enlist I would go guard.

As far as OTS, as a civillan and enlisted you would want to apply for a slot your senior year or when you are done with school. Look up the OTS website to see what all you have to go through.

I would definately go talk to a OTS recruiter or ROTC detachment immediately so you can get some info to make the best decision. Your recruiter might try to say you will never be able to get in if you deny enlisting but it's not true. When you talk to the OTS recruiter they may not seem very interested since you still have a good amount of time to finish school. Listen to what they say, and then bring your questions back here and someone will answer them.

I want you to know 2 things:

1. I'm not saying enlisted is the bad way to go, it just seems you haven't received much info on different routes.

2. Like I said in the beginning, I'm working on getting a slot which means I do not have a slot. Do Not take my word for it, listen to what everyone has to say.

Good Luck

[ 22. March 2006, 01:00: Message edited by: flyguy ]

Guest samdurbinjr

Well the program I was looking at once was the AECP but it says this is not the route to go for an undergraduate pilot training. I thought you finish you degree in what they want then go to OTS and from then go to pilot training if you actually make it. I know the other programs you are talking about I was just trying to stay on active duty while this was all unfolding. Lets fast forward in time. I somehow finished my EE degree applied for OTS and was accepted. I have continued flying and have a fair amount of hours racked up. What do I do after OTS, is that when they tell the person whether they will get a slot or do you know going in? Thanks Sam

Guest schweatty

you get your UPT slot the same time you get picked up for OTS. everyone knows what their job is going to be before they start OTS. when the AF starts cutting pilot slots the first to get cut are the OTS slots. that's why they are so competitive. my advice: go to ROTC if you really want to be a pilot. hope this helps

Guest AirGuardian

And the Guard is MUCH harder than OTS, so I think these guys are pretty much on the mark...

Unless you're just that kick @ss and have a few helpful people in the loop somewhere which may help. Not at my unit, but I heard at some other ones it does....

Godspeed on your adventure, its worth the pain... Never quit!

Guest samdurbinjr

Ok so the census says do a little time in and then get a scholorship for ROTC and finish my EE degree or would they rather have an airplane degree if you are wanting to fly? I.E. airport management or something similar? Thanks again Sam

Guest flecth033

Nope, Major in something that you would like to do if you don't get a slot or if you don't stay in. If EE is your thing, keep it. As far as an aviation degree, your flight experience will benefit you more unless you want to use that degree.

I see what you're asking about OTS and a pilot slot. To piggyback off schweatty you will know you have pilot before you start OTS. You will have to go through the OTS pilot board in order to get an OTS pilot slot. Check out this link

http://www.aetc.randolph.af.mil/sas/pcsm/b.../boarddates.htm

You'll see there are more OTS boards a year than ROTC, but ROTC has more slots. Either way you go good luck, kick ass and get your slot, hope to join you flying AF.

IIRC, EE is, at least right now, a "tier 1 technical" degree, so it might be easier gettin a scholarship with that. but it sounds like they also wanting foriegn language also.

Bottom line- pick a major that you enjoy

• 1 year later...
Guest nightwolf

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so hope I'm going about things the right way. I know this is a pretty old forum but trying to bring it back alive for my situation (don't want to start a new thread for the same thing). I'm currently enlisted ((S)Sgt) been in almost 4 years fixing to re-enlist shortly for my second one. I am about mid way through my degree from Embry-Riddle (Prof. Aeronautics), have a decent GPA (hopefully a 3.25 after this class) and will hopefully be able to complete the degree in about a year and a half if things go well (deployments, time away, etc...). I think I'm a pretty decent troop thus far with very good EPR's so looks as if things are going my way so far. I plan on hopefully starting the application process for the pilot boards as soon as I know I will be able to complete my degree (I know you can start as early as 270 days from grad, but I was looking at maybe closer to like 90 - 100 days for security) and at that time I should be around 26ish (24 now). So I guess my question is if anyone has any advice for me from now till then? I know GPA is a big thing along with the usual "Whole Person Concept" the Air Force is in love with, but how much does flight hours help your PCMS score? I currently have none, but would like to maybe rack up a few. I just don't think I can afford a complete PPL right now. Also if there's any current pilots out there that have gone through this process I would greatly appreciate the help and to hear your story of how you got the slot. Any information would help. Well sorry I have wrote a book and if your still with me thank you!

Nightwolf, I would think you would get a nice PCSM boost within the 10-20 flight hours range. Beyond that it, the impact seems dependent on your other scores. For example, my PCSM currently thinks I have 27 hours, if I were to have 200+ hrs (the highest PCSM category) my score would go up two points. FYI, I have a 96 with only the fourth category of flight hours... I think a far more economic way to raise your score is to nail the AFOQT and TBAS.

Also, before you reenlist, you owe it to yourself (if you really want to fly) to go check out an ROTC program. You could finish the last two years of your degree at an ROTC detachment and have a much better shot at a pilot slot. Just a thought... especially because you would only have to do two years. OTS is very competitive for all officer's and even more so for pilot slots. And I don't believe they will review your EPRs at the OTS board but letters of recommendation are fair game, try to get 2 or three O-6s or higher within your chain to write you letters.

Just my scattered $0.02

"2" on what Risp said.

But if you want to go the route you've already discussed, send a PM to Kayla on this board. Her husband did EXACTLY what you're talking about (down to the same degree and school), and we started UPT yesterday, so obviously he would know how it works.

Guest nightwolf

Thanks for all the advice I will have to get with Kayla and see how her husband went about doing it. I had thought about the ROTC route, but it just wouldn't work for me. I really don't think we (my wife and I) could afford for me not to have a job plus to keep with my degree and everything I would have to move and I know we couldn't afford that. I know the pilot slots are a lot thinner through OTS, but I want to be an Officer first and foremost, and then a pilot.

In that case, if you're OK with going into another AFSC as an Officer, make sure you pick something you enjoy as your second choice on the OTS board (you get three choices, if I remember correctly--I'm an OTS grad). The catch (there's always a catch) is if you put down a second and/or third choice and you aren't offered pilot but you are offered your 2nd or 3rd, you can't turn it down if you still want to be an Officer. If you ever decline a commission, I don't believe you can try again. But, if you only put pilot and are not accepted, you can try again. Make sure you talk to a recruiter to be sure I"m right though... Goodluck.

Guest nightwolf

Thanks for the info. I honestly think what I may do is apply for the pilot boards as many times as I can before I reach the age limit, and then start going for non-rated AFSC's as I am unaware of there being a set number you can go up for the boards.