Bases with CATM (firing) facilities

Guest Dactyl

Guest Dactyl

Anyone out there (AD/Reserve/ANG) know of bases that have a CATM facility? Not sure if they are called that all over the AF but the shooting range I went to at Field Training at Tyndall was called CATM. The reason I ask is that I would like to see if a Security Forces squadron would be willing to host an M9 familiarization for cadets from our detachment.

Are these facilities only located at AETC bases? If so I am SOL, FE Warren, Peterson, and Buckley (all AF Space Command) are the only bases around here.

[ 29. August 2005, 20:00: Message edited by: Dactyl ]

Every AFB should have CATM as part of their Security Forces squadron. Whether it's live fire or not depends. My Guard unit has the laser system, I can't recall the technical term for it. The only thing I remember about it is that you can't place marksman on it no matter how well you do. Anyway, when I was a ROTC cadet the kids would go instead to a Navy base (Groton) to qualify on live fire, so you shouldn'y be restricted to just Air Force bases. Good luck

[ 29. August 2005, 20:17: Message edited by: jcollins ]

Originally posted by Dactyl:

Are these facilities only located at AETC bases? If so I am SOL, FE Warren, Peterson, and Buckley (all AF Space Command) are the only bases around here.

No, most bases have a range - including most ANG bases I have visited. In your discussion with people at those bases, you might want to bring up the use of cadet-supplied ammunition and/or firearms. Most SF shops only get a set amount of ammo each year, so they're not willing to let just anyone use it. Years ago I was able to get quite a bit of range time at Lackland (Medina) by offering to bring my own 9mm and ammunition. I'd split it with the range guys and they'd run me through all sorts of firing quals (none of which counted "officially")

Call the base SF number and ask for their CATM person. They will have all the info you need.

Guest sharkfood911

check out FE Warren for their FATS system. not the real thing, but it'd be good for familiarization.

Guest Dactyl

Awesome.. what is FATS? I'll call Warren but I dont want to sound like an idiot "Hello can I please speak with FATS?". What is it? What is it under (SFS)? Thanks

Guest Dirt Beater

Pretty sure it's Fire Arms Training Simulator. It's part of the SFS and it is badass. There is a compressed air hose that goes into the weapon that generates recoil when you pull the trigger and you actually have to drop the magazine out of the rifle, then jam it back in to reload. I was told that all you need is beer and it can be your personal arcade, sts.

Guest sharkfood911

NSFW got it. it's a pretty good time. they're in the process of building a new portion that'll accommodate an actual humvee to "fight from" in the sim. with, i'm assuming, whatever mounted weapon they can hook up.

Guest Thunderbolt10a

I'm Secuity Forces at FE Warren and i've fired the m9 here so i know they have it. But like Bergman said they're pretty strict about their ammo, not to mention most CATM guys i've met are even lazier than regular cops. FATS is fun because they can tell you how many shots fired, kills, hits ect. and you can have a few people shoting at once. but sometimes its more fun shoting real ammo at fake targets the fake ammo at fake people. I'd say like anything in the military just keep calling and talking to different people until someone says yes. also maybe ask about different weapons to fire, ask for m9 if they say no, ask about the m16. If you have any more questions SF side let me know.

Originally posted by The Kid:

also maybe ask about different weapons to fire, ask for m9 if they say no, ask about the m16. If you have any more questions SF side let me know.

Does the AF stock/use the .22 converter for the M-16? Years ago I was able to go to an Army Guard unit and spend an entire day with my buds going through .22 ammo like Sherman through Georgia. Good times if you can talk them into using their weapons and range.

• 2 weeks later...