Self Eliminate (SIE) from ROTC?

Guest Solaris257

Guest Solaris257

I know with force shaping that the AF is trying to get rid of cadets in this upcoming graduating class FY06. My question is: is it possible to leave ROTC now without having to pay back the financial aid or is it too late? This was offered to us in the beginning of the Spring Semester this year, and I was wondering if the offer still stood. Any advice would help. Oh, and I am leaving the AF for greener pastures btw.

Guest Goose

I don't know if they're looking to get rid of people anymore. They did a pretty good job with getting rid of about 600 of the 2700 FT applicants and then 10% of those 2100 who made the cut at the camps so far. That might have an impact on how many in the other classes they're looking to get rid of/hold onto.

What greener pastures? I hope you aren't referring to some civilian job opportunity to make more money.

Also, what year you commissioning in? You mentioned the 06 class but they're contracted to commission, having taken their oaths of enlistment and such. I'm guessing you're contracted since you were concerned about a scholarship, but what year are you in?

[ 26. July 2005, 19:34: Message edited by: Goose ]

^ What Goin2UPT said.

Goose, he's right about FY06. A Colonel came in and talked to our class about it, pretty much saying that anyone contracted or not could walk away without paying a dime. It was a pretty good offer to those who weren't 100% about it. But this was before categorization. I'm not sure how the offer stands now, or whether they'll allow it to cat'd cadets.

Guest ILLiniFlyer16

along with toastychicken,

Our Col. said the same thing...along with that, there is a program they have called Blue to Green, where you can switch into the Army ROTC program from AFROTC without any strings attatched. Had a few buddies do it and they're on there way to fly apaches!

Guest Goose
Originally posted by ILLiniFlyer16:

along with toastychicken,

Our Col. said the same thing...along with that, there is a program they have called Blue to Green, where you can switch into the Army ROTC program from AFROTC without any strings attatched. Had a few buddies do it and they're on there way to fly apaches!

Only thing with that I heard is that you still have to go through some additional training with them before commissioning.

Guest Jimbo2552

It's not additional training, it is the AROTC requirement - Advanced Camp, aka their Field Training.

Guest Av8rCadet

Solaris

Only you can decide what is right for you... But on a personal note after my Col. told us about the SIE I sincerely thought about getting out and trying OTS or applying for a guard position because I felt like being a dual-enrolled cadet I didnt have as good a chance at a rated spot as other cadets. Well here I am with my slot and to think I almost SIE'd!