POC Benefits

Guest Goose

Guest Goose

I was wondering if anyone knew of any more of the special little privledges POC cadets get.

I know some but if there's any missing please post:

*Wear the boots you want

*Wear coroframs (sp?)

*Roll the sleeves on BDUs

*Prop and wings on blues cover

*Wear black shirts with BDUs

*Name tag for service dress jacket

*ID and stipend if not contracted before

*Key to the detachment (at least at ours)

Anything else?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about these:

-Leading troops (even if it is just for practice at LLAB, after all we're trying to be leaders in AFROTC)

-Having an opportunity to create learning relationships with current officers at your detachments

-Taking part in PDTs that pair you with officers in career fields that you want, that way you can learn the ropes on how not to suck as a 2Lt (well, not to suck any more than everyone already does!)

-Getting one more day closer to becoming one of the finest officers in the finest Air Force on the globe

What I'm trying to say is that on AD, no one cares what kind of boots you wear, whether you wear leather low-quarters or coroframs, etc., but it does matter what type of officer you're gonna' be. Take this time as an AS 300 and just try to learn as much as you can about being a better officer, don't be a tool-job cadet, have fun, and when you turn 21 drink some beers, and take 'er easy...

/// only with gov't license IIRC.

Like RWaller said, concentrate less on the "privledges" you get as a POC and more on how your role in the detachment will drastically change. You will work much harder as a POC than you ever did as a GMC. IMO, the valuable ROTC training really begins at the POC level.

That being said, one of the first things I did when I got back from FT was buy some Hi-Tec Magnum boots and Bates Coroframs. :D

Originally posted by Goin2UPT:

That being said, one of the first things I did when I got back from FT was buy some Hi-Tec Magnum boots and Bates Coroframs. :D

Hahaha, I'll second that...leather-luster some Marauders and buy some coroframs!

Guest AceLaRue

Waller-You always pipe in with that perfect CTA/mentorship attitude. Way to keep leading after your two tours of being a CTA! I couldn't have said it better, opportunities as a POC to further ready yourself for active duty and leading troops is the most important privledge you get as well as it is a responsibility.

Guest Goose
Originally posted by RWaller52:

How about these:

-Leading troops (even if it is just for practice at LLAB, after all we're trying to be leaders in AFROTC)

-Having an opportunity to create learning relationships with current officers at your detachments

-Taking part in PDTs that pair you with officers in career fields that you want, that way you can learn the ropes on how not to suck as a 2Lt (well, not to suck any more than everyone already does!)

-Getting one more day closer to becoming one of the finest officers in the finest Air Force on the globe

What I'm trying to say is that on AD, no one cares what kind of boots you wear, whether you wear leather low-quarters or coroframs, etc., but it does matter what type of officer you're gonna' be. Take this time as an AS 300 and just try to learn as much as you can about being a better officer, don't be a tool-job cadet, have fun, and when you turn 21 drink some beers, and take 'er easy...

While I realize that those are the real important benefits, that wasn't my question. I asked what the "little benefits" were. If I was more concerned with what kind of shoes I get to wear than the opportunity to lead the GMC cadets I would have kicked myself out by now.

[ 15. July 2005, 15:14: Message edited by: Goose ]

Then the answer to your "question" is that your priorities are all jacked up! Buy a pair of coroframs, maurauders, elastic belts, some wash and wear blues pants, and start LEARNING!!!! The rest of that crap (rolling your sleeves (besides, something you'll learn is NO 2Lt's roll their BDU sleeves, anyway...it ruins the pressing), SD nametags, etc.), you'll learn along the way. Take what we're telling you, and just take it as face value. Don't take it personally...like I said "have fun, and when you turn 21 drink some beers, and take 'er easy..."

On a different note...AceLaRue! How's summer been treating ya' since E1?!? I hope everything is going well!

I wouldn't even call most of those privileges. You wear corfam's because you simply don't have time to shine your shoes (you should be busy in a leadership role). You don't need to wear BDU's with sleeves out all the time because you're not in GMC training mode, so there's really no point. You get a name tag for your service coat because more than likely your detachment doesn't want to waste money making an expensive silver nametag for someone who just drops out a week later. And the only reason people would get a key is because they need to get in and out, lock up at the end of the day, etc.

The only actual benefit I know of is getting automatically contracted (and having that stipend money roll in). Aside from that, it's just stuff related to doing your job or getting rid of rules that don't matter once you're done with FT.

Originally posted by RWaller52:

(besides, something you'll learn is NO 2Lt's roll their BDU sleeves, anyway...it ruins the pressing.

What? I rolled mine all the time. The problem is when 2Lt's **** up the sleeve roll and it's uneven or halfway down your arm and you look like a jackass. (Dad was Army, he taught me the right way to do it. I also tuck my pants into the boots. Sue me.)

I wore my BDU's and DCU's quite often for a crewdog, too.

Is that some new 2Lt rule I was never clued in on?

Guest Goose
Originally posted by FSUpilot:

sun glasses

good call, it's because POC don't have to be marching in formation all the time right?

These are things you should only be thinking about while marching at Field Training. After you get back to real world it's no biggie. Although I will say I haven't shined my boots or shoes since I was at camp which was a 13 months ago.

Originally posted by wnanna:

it's called corfams and leather luster my friend

Every now and then, I like to wander into the ROTC/OTS lounge and add my $0.02, only to get my ass handed to me.

Once again, I stand corrected.

So, remove the sarcasm, and your footwear probably does set a good example for the GMC.

[ 16. July 2005, 21:38: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Guest Absolutlyfly

Alot of the times being a POC sucks. You have to do stuff, and the cadre expects more of you. But banking $400 a month for basicly doing nothing is cool.

But seriously, the coolness of rolling your sleeve will fade quickly then you are stuck in the Det making phone calls and doing paperwork all night. I normaly spend more time doing ROTC stuff then school work. And that is okay with me!

Dude,

Being a GMC was awesome for me. I had a lot of fun and I have heard most people enjoyed being a GMC a lot more than a POC.

Right after FT I was given a lot responsibility as a POC and it sucked. I worked my butt off and still had a lot of fun, but being a GMC is the best. You will soon realize this and long for your GMC days.

Originally posted by Jetjock:

Dude,

Being a GMC was awesome for me. I had a lot of fun and I have heard most people enjoyed being a GMC a lot more than a POC.

Right after FT I was given a lot responsibility as a POC and it sucked. I worked my butt off and still had a lot of fun, but being a GMC is the best. You will soon realize this and long for your GMC days.

Not me. GMC was boring. There was no responsibility, little in the way of leadership opportunities/training, etc. Perks aside, being a POC is much more interesting than GMC could ever be, imo.

Originally posted by Absolutlyfly:

But seriously, the coolness of rolling your sleeve will fade quickly then you are stuck in the Det making phone calls and doing paperwork all night. I normaly spend more time doing ROTC stuff then school work. And that is okay with me!

Question for you. For people who are cross town, how does that work out? Is it hard to devote that much time and effort into the det? My school is aprox. half an hour away. Are the crosstown cadets at more a disadvantage than the cadets who attend the school the det is at?

Thanks.

Guest futurpilot
Originally posted by silverwolf0911:

Question for you. For people who are cross town, how does that work out? Is it hard to devote that much time and effort into the det? My school is aprox. half an hour away. Are the crosstown cadets at more a disadvantage than the cadets who attend the school the det is at?

Thanks.

Guest Goose

I think that can work to your advantage or disadvantage pending on how motivated you are. Like FSU said, some will show up to every event. When they come and participate I think the cadre take into consideration that it is more time out of their schedule to be there than for those who live 3 minutes away.

I guess it depends on your experiences. I loved being a GMC and I love being a POC too. Sometimes it can be a little much though. For example: The third week of school after I got back from FT I took a trip to NYC for vacation. Everyday I was getting calls on my sell from the Cadre and Cadets wondering if I could do something or wondering how to do something. One day I spent six hours on my dang phone trying to get stuff taken care of because someone else didn't know how too or just wouldn't do their job. As a POC I think your job will play a big factor in what you think of it.

Originally posted by Jetjock:

I guess it depends on your experiences. I loved being a GMC and I love being a POC too. Sometimes it can be a little much though. For example: The third week of school after I got back from FT I took a trip to NYC for vacation. Everyday I was getting calls on my sell from the Cadre and Cadets wondering if I could do something or wondering how to do something. One day I spent six hours on my dang phone trying to get stuff taken care of because someone else didn't know how too or just wouldn't do their job. As a POC I think your job will play a big factor in what you think of it.

Dear God.... You got me to bite on this one, man. What in the hell could have caused you to have been on the phone that long that remotely involved the responsibilities of an ROTC cadet? I mean, come on dude.....