Citizenship - Foreign/naturalized citizens in the USAF

Guest Brotschen

Guest Brotschen

Hello

I'm a danish citizen born in united states. I've just failed the flying school in the RDAF, and I'm now considering applying as a pilot in the USAF.

I don't have a high school degree, but I have what compares to that in Denmark. What is the view on that when you apply?

I passed the tests to get on the RDAF pilot training, but failed in the selection on flying school. Will this affect me if I apply?

In the RDAF they select only aspirants which have the skills to become a fighter pilot, I know that's not the case in USAF.

Guest Hydro130

You need a college degree to commission as an officer in the US MIL. Only officers can be pilots in the USAF.

Interesting what you said about the Danes and fighters with regrard to pilot training... The first C-130J I ever saw was actually the Danes (Seeb Oman years ago). They were some cool dudes. I enjoyed talking with them....

Best of luck, Hydro

Before you would be able to commission in the US Air Force you would have to become a US citizen. One must be a US citizen to become an officer, and one must be an officer before you can become a pilot.

I am not sure what your situation is since you were born in the US; though you stated you are a Danish citizen. I imagine that it would make things easier since you were born here.

Good Luck with it all

Grandpa

Guest Brotschen

That's no problem. I'm automaticly US citizen when I'm born there. Actually I couldn't get to the states on my danish passport. I had to make an american one in London last time I went.

• 10 months later...

Hello everyone,

Well, the topic says it all.

I know that you have to be a US citizen to get a pilot slot, either born or naturalized. But that's only theory... Do you know of any naturalized pilot in the USAF?

Cheers :beer:

Guest salokin
Hello everyone,

Well, the topic says it all.

I know that you have to be a US citizen to get a pilot slot, either born or naturalized. But that's only theory... Do you know of any naturalized pilot in the USAF?

A buddy of mine just got his pilot slot through ROTC, and is naturalized, born in Pakistan.

You just have to be a US Citizen - of which there are three categories that I know of:

1. Born in the USA

2. Born abroad of US Citizen Parents

3. Naturalized

Any of the above are acceptible. My SURF (personnel record) was incorrect for 9 years indicating falsley that I was #3. And YES I did try to go through the normal Shoe Clerk drills to correct it but it took me nearly 10 years to finally do so...

Guest Robes

The only thing that a naturalized citizen cannot do that a native born citizen can is become President. (that I am aware of)

Thanks for the replies guys!

Now I wonder if there's some time frame required from the naturalization to applying to USAFA, ROTC or OTS. Anyone?

BTW, have anyone heard about naturalized fighter pilots? I remember reading a post made by USAF pilot that he has never heard about it.

Guest momann
BTW, have anyone heard about naturalized fighter pilots? I remember reading a post made by USAF pilot that he has never heard about it.

Look vulture, if you're good and if you're at the top of your class when fighters drops, I believe the USAF will give it to you, period. Don't try to be all cynical about it. If it wasn't for the mess BCIS made of my citizenship application, I would be flying right now in the AF. Now, you tell me which country other than the US allows that sort of a thing. vulture, if you want to fly, then get eligible and qualify, apply. If you’re selected, then go to UPT and graciously accepts what come your way. Stop trying to play the place of origin, race or any other card to get preferential treatment, because the AF doesn’t tolerate that, especially in the flying community. It's all about your proven skill. Finally remember that many dream and work hard to be a pilot in the AF, but only few do, and I’m tired of some people trying to get preferential treatment or just out-right whine.

Edited by momann

• 2 years later...
Guest Arjen

Hello there,

I'll start off with introducing my situation very briefly.

I'm currently 27, have a bachelors, 10 years of working experience in ICT Software Development related jobs (incl. ODC in China), i have a PPL and i currently passed all admission tests for the Dutch Air Force.

The problem?

They don't assign me a pilot slot, because none are available. I'm not a US resident, and I only have a Dutch citizenship.

I'm really determined to persue a carreer in flying, and preferably in the military. However, the Dutch air force only keeps me waiting, doesn't give any guarantees or chance predictions, and by now there is not much i can do in this area, other than just wait and grow older every month.

I'm planning to apply for a pilot slot in any of the US Services.

Ok, now most probably you're thinking that I think way to ligthly about this, and there isn't even the slightest chance that I could achieve this. Well, I'm going to try anyway.

I understand that you need to be an Officer first before you can apply for a pilot slot. And to attend OCS/OTS you are required to be an American citizen. I've also read that it is possible to be put on a fast track to a citizenship when you enlist. But before you can enlist you at least need an I-94 (??), Greencard, established in a bonafide way, and noted record of residency in America. Also the I-94 needs to be valid for as long as my contract with any of the service that I would join.

I don't know if I'm looking in the right direction, and i'm hoping any of you guys could shed some light on this. Point me in the right direction or give me contact information of anyone you know that might be of help.

I'm very much aware of the fact that it is a very long shot to say the least, but it is one that i can still influence myself.