I'm sorry, but this particular case reeks of asskissing... :rolleyes:

Cheers! M2

USAFE News Service 23 June 2005

UNS05197:

http://www.usafe.af.mil/news/news05/uns05197.htm

Enlisted corps to honor COMUSAFE with Order of the Sword induction

Master Sgt. Mona Ferrell

USAFE News Service

RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany (USAFENS) -- The U.S. Air Forces in Europe enlisted corps will bestow their highest honor on the USAFE commander Aug. 26 when they induct him into the command’s Order of the Sword.

Gen. Robert H. “Doc” Foglesong accepted the invitation in the presence of USAFE’s command chief master sergeants and first sergeants from the First Sergeants Academy during a formal presentation June 22 at the 11th Worldwide Command Chiefs Conference held at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.

"This is such serious business,” said General Foglesong, overwhelmed by the invitation. “I’m very honored and touched.”

Chief Master Sgt. Gary G. Coleman, USAFE command chief master sergeant, who formally presented General Foglesong with the invitation on behalf of the enlisted corps, said the decision to honor the general was unanimous across the command.

“It’s our way -- the best way -- of honoring General Foglesong for his total dedication, and passionate concern for USAFE enlisted men and women and their families,” said Chief Coleman.

“Since taking the USAFE flag, General Foglesong has worked tirelessly supporting the enlisted force under his command,” the chief said. “We can take any one of the 15 Combat and Special Interest Programs he’s instituted within this command and see that they embody the development of the enlisted force. Strengthening the work and personal environments of members throughout USAFE, the general has not only made USAFE the best place to live and work, but he’s created an environment for our Airmen to grow – spiritually, mentally and physically.”

A 33-year Air Force veteran who has commanded USAFE since August 2003, General Foglesong will become only the 16th recipient honored with the USAFE Order of the Sword when the enlisted corps formally induct him in August.

"This is not an award we present lightly; every Airman in this command can take pride in this induction,” Chief Coleman said. “We are honoring a great leader whose vision and focus has ensured we are ready to fight and postured to respond anywhere in the world, while providing superior services to you – the world-class men and women of USAFE.”

It’s also not an award the general is taking lightly.

“My dad was an NCO in the U.S. Navy and I fully realize what this induction means,” said the general, who plans to send the induction announcement to his mother. “I couldn’t be more humbled, and I know my mother will be proud.”

The Order of the Sword is the highest honor the Air Force enlisted corps can bestow on an officer. The tradition dates back to medieval times, when noncommissioned officers presented their leaders with a sword as a symbolic gesture of loyalty. It is patterned after two orders of chivalry founded in Europe during the Middle Ages -- the Royal Order of the Sword and the Swedish Military Order of the Sword. Both orders still exist today.

For more information about the August ceremony, contact your wing command chief or first sergeant.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“We can take any one of the 15 Combat and Special Interest Programs he’s instituted within this command and see that they embody the development of the enlisted force.
If I were enlisted I would be absolutely offended by that quote. I'm sure there is some sort of spin on this thing, but I can't understand why they would do this. I do not know of one officer who has ever said one kind thing about Foglesong, the way he ran USAFE, or his idiotic combat programs.

Guest Rainman A-10

My bet is he gave a direct order that he be inducted. That would be his standard.

YGBSM! Nothing surprises me with this clown any more.

Our squadron flew him on an OIF refueling mission last week. The receiver (KC-10 at Ramstein) slipped 1 hour due to k-loader problems. He got on the phone, right there in front of all of us, and says "My receiver is NOT going to slip again, right?!" After he hangs up the phone, he turns around and says, "It's good to have a DO who is a 2 star." As you might imagine, the receiver did not slip again that day; I wonder how many hoops the poor MX guys had to jump through to make sure 1 relatively low priority mission got off the ground just so herr General could ride in the copilot's seat for 2 hours.

In stark contrast to my expectation, however, he didn't try to snag the landing. He gave the jet to the IP at decision height. Also strange, he didn't even want to go in the back to see the air refueling. Apparently he doesn't care what the enlisted members of our crew actually do (which is why we fly in the first place) Yet he is getting the Order of the Sword. WTF.

Guest lovelacm
Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

Chief Master Sgt. Gary G. Coleman, USAFE command chief master sergeant, who formally presented General Foglesong with the invitation on behalf of the enlisted corps, said the decision to honor the general was unanimous across the command.

I'm confused. I'm pretty tight with the Es here and they never received word of anything on this. How can this be "unanimous" if none of the true combat operators were asked?

Originally posted by Bergman:

In stark contrast to my expectation, however, he didn't try to snag the landing.

That's surprising. He mandated that he be put through an abbreviated (like week long) Strike Eagle program so he could fly one and land - from the front seat. Despite the fact that everyone said it was stupid, nobody told him no. We get O-6s and above that come back to fly the aircraft after a 2-3 year break and we still put them through a month long spin up. Foglesong is a self-serving no-talent ass clown.

WTFO.

All I ever hear about is how it is the "highest honor" from the enlisted corps, but the only people I see it get awarded to are guys like:

Jim "Not required to pass a PFT to wear AF uniforms" Roche

and

Doc "I really did once log some O1 time" Foglesong.

It’s our way -- the best way
To kiss our boss's ass. We got kids to feed.

We can take any one of the 15 Combat and Special Interest Programs he’s instituted within this command
And flush it down the toilet so it can be at home with all of the other crap.

the general has not only made USAFE the best place to
discover an all new meaning to the term "rectal breach"

and I know my mother will be proud
My mom says I'm cool.

I personally hope old Doc develops a severely painful and bacteria-infested boil inside his dusky unmentionables brought on by the overfrequent wearing his "Speed Pants" while he's posing in front of the bathroom mirror.

HD

[ 24. June 2005, 21:32: Message edited by: HerkDriver24 ]

Guest rumblefish_2

Hey the USAFE Command Chief is Gary Coleman! I always knew that guy would make something of himself, unlike Willis and Kimberly...

Guest lakefisher

recall the dip clearance folks jumping through hoops and asking for favors, because he needed his transport back from Incirlik to use his favorite/usual call sign. (he changed aircraft there)

Mingo is the biggest tool I have ever seen.

I am also really tight with some E's that are still in USAFE. There actually was a vote on this thing among enlisted people and from what I heard when it happened they were "encouraged" to vote yes, but most voted no. Kind of makes me wonder where old G. Coleman gets his "unanimous" conclusion. Total BS, this guy did more to slaughter morale in USAFE then any terrorist in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Guest lovelacm
Originally posted by herkbum:

I hear they will be a huge "Wheels Up party" in September.

Anybody got a line on where COMUSAFE is headed? Rumors commonly come and go around these parts.

Saw him joggin' down to the West Gate the other day... before they shut down half of the "in lanes" and made our incredibly bad traffic situation worse!

Just what we need: More Construction! WooHoo!

Guest evil load
Originally posted by rumblefish_2:

Hey the USAFE Command Chief is Gary Coleman! I always knew that guy would make something of himself, unlike Willis and Kimberly...

Unfortunatly, Kimberly kicked the oxygen habbit several years ago, but at least the COMBAT PROUD program is alive and well.

Never underestimate the power of "yes-men" and the senior leadership that encourages such behavior...I'm quite sure there was some arm twisting to get a unanimous vote, if there was a vote at all. One reason I was glad to be in AFSOC over there.

Guest johannagain

Foglesong is a douche-bag of the highest order (and not the Order of the Sword, either) from everything that I've seen/heard.

A sqdn-mate of mine said that when Fogey was his CC (don't remember when/what command) he put out a base-wide (command-wide?) order prohibiting cursing.

WTF!

What a tool...

To give those who don't know what kind of "programs" we are talking about here, Combat Proud consists of not parking green and blue vans together. The vans must not only not be parked together they must be taller tapped. Yes that is right. They must be in ascending order. The largest vans to the right and smaller to the left. The ropes attached to the chalks must be crossed in kind of a bow tie. The number 3 prop has to be perfectly aligned straight down. Not an inch off or it must be redone. Those are the kinds of petty bull shite things that must be done in order to make this dude happy. I am glad the delta squadron rotes are only 3 weeks long. They used to be a good deal.

Guest lovelacm
Originally posted by ARGuardbum:

Combat Proud consists of... ropes attached to the chalks must be crossed in kind of a bow tie. The number 3 prop has to be perfectly aligned straight down.

Wouldn't that be Combat Flightline?

Heard a great story from a guy in my office when he was working as Exec for the 37th's CC.

WG/CC's secretary calls up and complains about how loud an aircraft on 2-12 is... He says "You know those are the Delta planes and not us, right?"

She gets to the real point of the call... "Well, a major walked into the office from that plane and I asked him if he was here for ERDO (a BS Qweep duty that somebody came up with here). He looked at me and said 'Uh-Uh' and then filled his thermos from the WG/CC's coffee pot and left!"

My friend had to stifle his laughter and pick himself up off the floor. The secretary was not pleased, "This is not funny!"

"Now, XXXX, you have to admit it really is pretty funny!"

So... the next time any of you Guard Bums are over here at Ramstein, be sure to stop by the 86AW/CC's office for some great coffee and make sure to say hello to his secretary. :cool:

Cheers!

Linda

[ 01. July 2005, 04:22: Message edited by: Linda ]

Guest Fred

Just curious--does anyone have any positive things to say about Doc?

Ever since he bacame USAFE/CC, all I've heard is a steady stream of discontent about the guy.

Fred

He gets what he earns...I think the only thing he has unified within USAFE has been the common dislike for the man. If you have ever suffered under his "combat programs" or AFN commercials, you too would most likely despise the guy.

But it goes back to long before he became the head (no STS) of USAFE...

Cheers! M2

I think he did good with his tv commercial when he was decked out in his G-suit and his "buddy" was decked out in his harley gear. Nothing like seeing that when you live in a tent in the worst of bad tent cities...Go Doc GO......

In case any of you can't figure it out....He sucks....

Yeah, that's when Doc talked about "strapping on rockets" ...the bike was a Harley 888 Sportster, which kicks out a rocketing 42 HP! Really impressive stuff!

Good one, johannagain!

Cheers! M2