Does your degree/major matter?

Ryder1587

What is the major that most UPT selecties pick in ROTC? I want pilot above all and I just want to know what the "pilot major" is.

Guest robes220

I think that your best bet is to pick something that interests you! In ROTC there is no set major for people who want to be rated officers. I have many friends who graduated from ROTC who are fliers and they have majored in anything from EE, CE, to Political Science, History and Geography. ROTC is more about attempting to deveolp a leader for the military in a fairly unstructured environment. The best way to get a pilot slot via ROTC is to be involved, do well at field training, make sure that you are physicaly fit, keep your grades up, your nose clean, and your eye on the goal.

Best of luck to you!!

Oh ok... I was interested in meteorology actually, but someone told me that the air force will deny you a pilot slot because they'll need you doing something else with weather...

Guest robes220

that can happen, but the best thing to do is not put it on your "Dream Sheet" during your AS300 year. The odds of them making you do weather... not that high, but as always remember that you are filling the needs of the AF, not the other way around.

In ROTC, you apply for a rated slot before ever applying for non-rated AFSC. During your AS300 year, you'll apply for pilot, nav, or ABM. If not selected, then you'll apply for your non-rated job during AS400. Don't worry about your major, choose something that interests you. For one thing, a degree that interests you will be easier for you to excel in, making you a better candidate. Also, have something to fall back on in case you don't get to fly. There are a number of things that can keep you from flying, even if you are selected. Just something to think about, though: if you think you might like to go to TPS in the future, you'll need an engineering degree, or something math and physics intensive.

Best of luck.

Guest Dan_Rissacher

I would say pick something that interests you and that you think you will do well in. Strive for a very high GPA (while still doing a lot of clubs, sports, etc) and it will make selection easier. I'm sure they would give preference to someone with an engineering degree, but don't go for that if you think you might have a much lower GPA. For example, I History major with a 3.8 might do better than an aeronautical engineering major with a 2.5 all else being equal.

x-wing,

I have seen Cadets get UPT with majors in geography, political science, history, chemistry, international relations, aviation, journalism, and music. Just enjoy college, learn the lessons outside of the classroom, but put most of your effort into your studies, for that is what will get you your pilot slot.

• 6 months later...
Guest BlueSky99

Hi everyone,

Next year I will be studying physics in college, but I have one question. I find astrophysics even more interesting than normal physics, but I don't know if it would be valued as much as a pure physics degree if I should ever apply for TPS or NASA. I plan on going the OTS route since I would like to earn my masters before commissioning. Actually thinking of it now, this brings me to one more question. Is there a way to do ROTC but still remain in college for the extra year or so that is needed to get your masters?

It's a bit late while I'm writing this, so sorry if my wording is a bit rusty.

Thanks

Guest egghead

Astrophysics?! Dude I think you are too smart for this board.....No seriously though yes it is possible to stay ROTC to do it, but I have no idea what it's called. A couple of guys from my det stayed back a year to MS in engraneeering. Ask the education officer at your det. S/He should know.

Bluesky, Let me know what you find out about majoring in astro physics. I am in a simular situation as well. Between Math, Pure Physics, or Astro. So keep me updated on what information you find out. As yall can tell, i wouldnt be no good at an english major... This is a great physics fourm that you might already go to www.physicsforums.com

If you're wanting TPS or NASA, all you need to be competitive is a technical degree. Don't get hung up on astrophysics, physics, etc. Just get at good tech major i.e. math, engineering, physics, etc. FYI IMHO, if you want to best a test pilot, engineering would probably be most beneficial.

PD

There is also a program called AFIT you should look into. Basically you graduate and commision with your 4 year degree, then you get your advanced degree while getting paid as a lieutenant. You should be able to find some info online for it.

Guest pcampbell

BlueSky, I was a physics major, but I have no desire of TPS or NASA, at least right now I don't. I was also a 'Blue Chip' from my det. This means that since I finished in the upper 15% (academically) of my graduating class, I have preference for AFIT (Air Force Insitute of Technology, www.afit.edu), if I want it. There are many roads to get where you want.

I agree with previous posts about not concentrating on a specific type of physics. If/When you get to graduate school, then you can specialize in a specific area. Go the normal route for your undergrad, do well, and make yourself so attractive that the AF can't deny sending you to AFIT.

You should also check out the TPS website, http://www.edwards.af.mil/tps/

PC

What is the likelihood of going to UPT after the AF has sent you to AFIT? I'm sure it can be done, but can't imagine that there's a huge number of people doing it (STS).

I'd always be worried that once I went to AFIT, the AF would send me to the infamous Engineering Dungeon at Wright-Pat, never to be seen again, let alone go to UPT.

Jeez, look at all the physics types. I feel like a retard! I just coasted through college doing the minimum, because college sucked. I had alot of fun, but that whole school thing kind of got in the way. Then again, my diploma looks like 80% of the rest of the diplomas out there. Don't be like me. Find something you enjoy and do it well. You like astrowhatever, go and do it. As for myself....

Box with picture make good colors, me go back to writing code.

One word of advice... We had several Astro guys when I was is school. Every last one of them wanted to go to UPT and all but one is currently sitting in the bottom of a 100 foot deep concrete hole in the northern US or training/waiting to do so. Im not saying you cant do it, but I am saying that the Space and Missile Career field loves to gobble up pilot hopefuls with highly technical majors whose grades maybe just werent good enough to get them a flight slot.

Guest pcampbell

I spoke with a USAFA grad the other day who is on casual at Sheppard awaiting UPT. After graduation from the Zoo, he went directly to grad school.

It is possible to go grad school, then UPT, but who would really want to.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bushmaster

Hi folks,

As some of you might know, I am planning to start college after I am done with my BCT, AIT and all that, and I was thinking to pick a major like BA in Theology since I have great interest in it. I am not an engineering, math, science type of guy. When putting in my WOFT package, I believe college education will stick out somehow, do you think a BA in Theology would be taken seriously?

Thank you folks...

I was a communication major. Had a buddy in my FTU class who was a marine biology major. I don't think anybody cares (except the guys looking at test pilot school applications).

Guest Bushmaster

Maybe they care about your grades? Those majors are still B.S. majors and I think some math is involved right?

How's BA different?

Guest Aces-High

Unless you want to be an astronaught or a test pilot or a someone that directly uses science in their field than I don't think it matters. I know for pilots and navs and so on it doesn't matter.

I got a BA in History with a minor in Christian Studies, and had no problems through any phase of pilot training, so I say go for it.

I had a buddy in my RAG class (the Navy FTU, in my case for E-2 NFO's) that was a music major. He had no problems. He just finished a tour as a Weapons Tactics instructor. At least from the Navy side, don't sweat it.