Beer during duty hours?

LJ Driver

About 4 years ago at Ramstein I was in the O club eating lunch. The waiter asked me and my bud if we wanted a beer. Naturally I said I wanted one but since it was the middle of the duty day and I was in a public-ish restaurant, I'd pass. As only a dedicated German would, he actually tracked down some reg that stated I was allowed to consume 2-8 ounce beers per day during duty hours. I was obviously very pleased and shocked, and then enjoyed a couple of Bitburgers. The best part was when a penis major rolled up on us and asked if we thought it was profesional to be drinking during the work day. We asked the waiter to cite the reg, which he happily did, and the major stormed away.

Fast-forward 4 years to 2007. I have asked around to lots of different people in services and other places and no one can point to where it is written that we are "allowed" 2-8 ounce beers. Anyone know where this can be found? In the squadron it doesn't matter, but when everyone goes to lunch and some jackass tries to call me out I would love to be able to tell him to fvck off AND explain why...

Guest Brewdog

Ahh Germany... :beer:

I've never heard of that reg. On some Navy bases I have been at they won't even serve you if you are in uniform during lunch at the club or golf course. :rainbow:

Guest Xtndr50boom

The army folk can't buy alcohol in uniform during duty hours anywhere. Class six, shoppette, anywhere! I love the evil stares I get when I stroll in and buy a 6-er at 8 in the morning whilst rocking the jet jammies. Good times

Edited by Xtndr50boom

Guest XQSME

AFI 34-219 (Alcoholic Beverage Program)

1.5.1.6. Emphasize that Air Force members should not drink alcoholic beverages before or during

their working hours but may drink prudently as part of a meal.

Don't know the amount you are allowed to imbibe but you can drink as part of a meal.

AFI 34-219 (Alcoholic Beverage Program)

1.5.1.6. Emphasize that Air Force members should not drink alcoholic beverages before or during

their working hours but may drink prudently as part of a meal.

Don't know the amount you are allowed to imbibe but you can drink as part of a meal.

That is awesome that you found that. It's even better that it doesn't say an amount, only "prudently". 2-8 ounces isn't very much, but I think I could safely get away with at least 2 beers as "prudently".

It's kind of funny that this paragraph 1.5 is the "Alcohol Deglamorization Program." It's always nice to take something that was intended for :rainbow: -ness and throw it in their faces.

I like this one:

1.9. Breath Analyzers. Don't use coin-operated or any other type of breath analyzers in Services activities.

Edited by LockheedFix

Guest Skids Down

Ok seriously... is there an actual reg that prohibits the consumption of alcohol in public places when in uniform? I've always been told it was taboo since the days of :rainbow: ROTC. But if there's no actual reg, then to hell with those who think it's unprofessional! :flipoff:

That reg was entertaining to read. It is amazing to see how anal the Air Force can try to be in controlling something as simple and fun as drinking beer. I especially like the section about the "deglamorization" of alcohol, which details how they can't give out beer coupons, discount drinks more than 50%, host drinking contests, or - my favorite - how they can't use "last call" or other countdown events designed to promote last-minute sales.

And then of course, every base, NAF, wing, and MAJCOM has a supplement to this all-important reg. Freakin hilarious.

That reg was entertaining to read. It is amazing to see how anal the Air Force can try to be in controlling something as simple and fun as drinking beer. I especially like the section about the "deglamorization" of alcohol, which details how they can't give out beer coupons, discount drinks more than 50%, host drinking contests, or - my favorite - how they can't use "last call" or other countdown events designed to promote last-minute sales.

And then of course, every base, NAF, wing, and MAJCOM has a supplement to this all-important reg. Freakin hilarious.

You think the USAF regs are anal, go look at the Army FMs or any COCOM that is Army-centric (e.g. EUCOM). When I was in Slovakia on the MLT, we actually had to get a waiver from EUCOM to drink during the duty day... :rock:

Cheers! M2

Guest evil load

Here is another fun regulation on booze, IAW 11-2C130V3 (section 5.14)...MAJCOM/DO/A3 approval, alcoholic beverages may be served in flight...YEAH!

I always wondered about that... Anyone ever gotten approval and if so, what was the occasion?

NATO airlift missions...especially ones with senior GOs aboard...

Cheers! M2

In our squadron bar...er "heritage room," the beer light comes on at precisely 1511 every Friday, which technically is within duty hours.

Oh, and I have been known to have a beer with lunch whilst in uniform, having had the aforementioned regulation pointed out to me when I was a young LT. :)

• 1 year later...

Thread Resuscitation!!!

After all my training in use of the search function I was only met half way on my search. I pulled AFI 34-219 ALCOHLIC BEVARAGE PROGRAM dated 17 OCT 07 and the aforementioned 1.5.1.6 is not in there. Furthermore I was not able to find any guidance on drinking alcohol in uniform. More specifically I want to know about drinking beer, offbase, during duty hours with lunch/dinner. Authorized/illegal and where is the AFI? Thanks for the help.

:beer:

If it (or local regs) don't say you can't, then you can. I also looked through AFI 34-219 and didn't see it in there either, therefore it can't be prohibited as far as I can tell; but don't just take my word for it. Go to http://www.e-publishing.af.mil and do a key word search on 'alcohol.' Be sure to check all applicable publications. Then, if you are still worried about it, call you base Demand Reduction Office (or whatever it is called) and ask. They won't lie to you, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to jot down the name and number of the person you spoke to, as well as the date and time called. CYA...

All that said, it would be a bad idea to drive afterward. Y'know they give medals to the sky cops for busting officers coming through the gates drunk, don't you? Well, that may not be true; but some days you'd think it was!

Damn, folks shouldn't be damn paranoid about having a beer or two!

Cheers! M2

If it (or local regs) don't say you can't, then you can.

I would disagree here. My 0.02 - if the beer light in the bar ain't on, hold off. I had a bud who, not on the schedule to fly, had a beer at the O'Club during lunch a few years back. Apparently a shoe clerk saw a guy in a flight suit drinking during duty hours and called straight to the DO. Needless to say, said bag-wearer got a full-up ass chewing.

As lame as it sounds, I say don't pick up a beer unless you're in the squadron bar or in the O'Club. With all the BS that the media and shoe clerks seem to pick up on these days, they don't need extra fodder from somebody in uniform throwing back a harmless drink in uniform. They don't understand us...their views on are different. They see somebody in a flight suit drinking and it can be misperceived as something completely different.

Well, I guess I was expecting that if someone knew they weren't suppose to be drinking, they wouldn't be drinking. Otherwise, they really don't have a leg to stand on. I work with an over-zealous Army LTC who is a bud but who also sometimes forgets that the other services have their own regs and don't follow the Army's. He tried to jack up a USAF guy having a beer off base at lunch and was promptly (but respectfully...and that's important) told that is was well within the regs.

I certainly wouldn't argue against Toro's well-stated words of caution, and it doesn't apply to me anymore because I grew up and retired and now can tell anyone to piss off; but my point is that unless there is a reg that says you can't, technically you can. Now, that doesn't mean some over-zealous person doesn't try to bust your balls about it...and when that over-zealous person is in your chain-of-command, it can get tricky. It all depends on how much having a beer at lunch means to you.

Cheers! M2

If there is a lunch push to Hooters on a non-flying day and one of the more senior ADOs who joins us has a few beers with his lunch, then by golly, I'm drinking beer with my lunch. And in the squadron, it happens all the time "on the clock." But discretion and SA are invaluable, as always.

Discretion is always key but I have never seen anyone have a problem with having a drink at lunch or in the early afternoon when you're not flying and nothing is going on in the squadron. We had a going away for some of my bros this past friday and most of us had a beer over lunch with our CC there and he's not even a drinker. I've had plenty of instances where we've been seen haveing a brew over lunch (especially during a mission planning week before heading out on a TDY) and no one has ever said a thing. I will say, and Toro what you say carries a lot of weight, just watch yourself and be smart about it. I know one of the key reasons no one goes to the club on base is the sky cops circling it when more than two flyers walk into the place.

Cooter

NAS Sigonella, April 1999. Allied Force. I'm the mobile/backup pilot for the nightly mission over Yugo. The primary pilot flies, and lands about 0600 after a 9-10 hour sortie. After debrief, he and I head to the Navy's greasy-spoon-kitchen on base. It's about 0730. We order up scrambled eggs, pancakes,... the usual. Then we notice "beer" on the menu. So we order a pitcher. As we go walking to our tables with the pitcher in hand, we walk by a table of 4 security forces types who are looking at us with this confused look, since we're in our flightsuits. I look at them, shrug and say, "I gotta do something to calm my nerves before I fly", and then sit down and start drinking. I'm guessing they thought we were on our way TO work, not heading home.

If it (or local regs) don't say you can't, then you can.

Found this in the commentary section, page 4, of Randolphs Feb. 29th Wingspread Issue. Written by a CMSgt.

"There’s an old joke about regulations and how they apply to each branch of service.

For the Army, unless the regulation specifically says you can do something, you can’t. For the Air Force, unless the regulation specifically says you can’t do it, you can. The Navy believes everything in their regulations is waiveable and the Marines ask, 'What are regulations?' "

Wingspread might not be the legal document to argue your case, but it is entertaining and appropriate for this thread!

Damn, folks shouldn't be damn paranoid about having a beer or two!

Tell me about it. I hate when I have just a few beers and when I get ready to roll out, people act like I am insane for risking such a thing. I am by all means a proponent of a designated driver and being safe etc... But I'm 6'2, 200 lbs-- guess what folks, I can have a few and be ok.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ignorant to the consequences, and I know you gotta be smart, but drinking sure is a lot more fun without 69 different rules aren't applied. But, we wouldn't need all the rules, regulations and stigmas attached if everyone was smart about it in the first place.