SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

We have a winner. A quick skim of the material is all you need to pass. Min run the 3 tests and be done with it. Is having to do it in correspondence before you go in residence stupid? Yes. Is it hard work? No.

I was actually thinking of implementing this and then trying the first test...if I fail, no biggie becuase I can retake it without losing anything...

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone else who was debating on whether to wait and see if they are going to get rid of Course 20 and let everyone go to in-res, I wouldn't recommend waiting very long...

http://www.au.af.mil/au/soc/course_20.html

"Course 20 will close to new enrollees BEFORE the launch of a revised SOS DL course anticipated 5 July 2012. NO ONE WILL BE ENROLLED INTO COURSE 20 LATER THAN 30 JUNE 2012. Course 20 students will be graduated or disenrolled after twelve months plus one optional three month extension. NO COURSE 20 ENROLLMENT WILL EXIST PAST 30 SEPTEMBER 2012. Course 20 students who have not completed the course by this time will have to re-enroll in the new SOS DL course. Plans for the new SOS DL program include five proctored exams, several graded essays, and multiple graded discussion exercises."

I am now enrolled... screw all that mess.

Plans for the new SOS DL program include five proctored exams, several graded essays, and multiple graded discussion exercises." I am now enrolled... screw all that mess.

Holy shit. If you supervise LT's get those punks enrolled.

For anyone else who was debating on whether to wait and see if they are going to get rid of Course 20 and let everyone go to in-res, I wouldn't recommend waiting very long...

Plans for the new SOS DL program include five proctored exams, several graded essays, and multiple graded discussion exercises."

Holy shit. If you supervise LT's get those punks enrolled.

this is starting to smell a lot like the online masters program...i'm wondering if this is the start of forcing all CGOs to complete the AF online masters...

this is starting to smell a lot like the online masters program...i'm wondering if this is the start of forcing all CGOs to complete the AF online masters...

Well, if it keeps them from doing SOS AND a Master's...and it reduces the amount spent on TA...I say do it.

Well, if it keeps them from doing SOS AND a Master's...and it reduces the amount spent on TA...I say do it.

i'm with you on that reasoning - if you're just box-checking, the OLMP is definitely the way to go. no ADSC is incurred, it's free, and incredibly easy. i don't want to take away anyone's time unnecessarily, but since the AF is essentially doing that anyway, they might as well just create one standard for everyone. it might even force them to use useful things as discriminators, like primary duty performance

....they might as well just create one standard for everyone.

Another step closer to becoming droids ourselves, so much for diversity...guess that comes in different programming.

droid-army.jpg

edit: sweet picture interweb link fixed

Edited by Swizzle

Another step closer to becoming droids ourselves, so much for diversity...guess that comes in different programming.

droid-army.jpg

edit: sweet picture interweb link fixed

We already have the one standard for everyone...get an online MBA through TUI/Embry-Riddle/Insert-diploma-mill-here. In an age of cost cutting, if the Air Force has a way to provide a Master's without spending the money on TA, and without doubling up on MBA and SOS work...I say full steam ahead.

Do I think it will be a valuable degree? Nope. But neither is the one I'm already getting, and SOS in correspondence was a joke. The guys that follow me can accomplish two box-checks at the same time and minimize the pain.

http://www.au.af.mil.../course_20.html

"Course 20 will close to new enrollees BEFORE the launch of a revised SOS DL course anticipated 5 July 2012. NO ONE WILL BE ENROLLED INTO COURSE 20 LATER THAN 30 JUNE 2012. Course 20 students will be graduated or disenrolled after twelve months plus one optional three month extension. NO COURSE 20 ENROLLMENT WILL EXIST PAST 30 SEPTEMBER 2012. Course 20 students who have not completed the course by this time will have to re-enroll in the new SOS DL course. Plans for the new SOS DL program include five proctored exams, several graded essays, and multiple graded discussion exercises."

Now that sounds painful... if there was any doubt about doing correspondence sooner rather than later, said doubt is gone. Now all I have to do is wrap up hacking the mish and get back within 500 miles of a testing center so I can stop doing my job and start drinking the Kool-Aid. :salut:

With the new goal being 100% in res for SOS, will the correspondence course still be a pre-req for attending?

An easy analyzation would be to compare the new SOS in-res class size multiply by classes per year then compare that number to the yearly Captain promotion list quantity. However, don't stop there - w.a.g. the backlog of those Captains who haven't been and add that to the promotion quantity until the backlog is depleted. Now compare. Is it sustainable?

My guess is no and in that case what could they use as a comparison basis to allocate the scarce slots? SOS via correspondence.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for those competing for a coveted ACSC in-res slot: this sounds appealing to you? Not flying for a year and change so you and your family can live in shithole Montgomery for a year or so? That's really where you see yourself in your mid-30s? I don't get the appeal. I guess I'm missing something.

Question for those competing for a coveted ACSC in-res slot: this sounds appealing to you? Not flying for a year and change so you and your family can live in shithole Montgomery for a year or so? That's really where you see yourself in your mid-30s? I don't get the appeal. I guess I'm missing something.

let me guess: not married/AMC/AFSOC?

There are options other than Maxwell. And yeah, I see my wife and kids for breakfast and dinner everyday. Better to experience that for one year in my mid-30s than not at all.

Uh, it's an unbroken year *with* your family. That sounds awesome.

It is.

Edited by Mitch Weaver