Baseops Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Rush ASAP. You are getting there on the age curve, so don't waste any more time, though because you said you would prefer heavies, I've seen more age waivers for them. I would say the target PCSM for any airframe will be 80+. This doesn't mean 201+ is 80 but your base score is that. Otherwise, your scores and GPA are decent and I would say you have a pretty good shot at getting picked up! Also, I've heard that a lot of units want to see that you have at least solo'd. so keep that in mind.
  4. That was my question. I just reengaged with my friend, it seems that in their hasty review of the non-selection paperwork they made some poor assumptions about what it meant. I also did some digging into the AFI, and it looks like continuation becomes a player after your 1APZ.
  5. @N730Thanks for your feedback. My 201+ PCSM is 81. What's considered a good PCSM for fighters? Got it, thanks for the advice with getting LORs I think most of the feedback was about getting LORs from flight instructors or college professors.
  6. @CharlieHotel47 Thanks for your response. I'll try to get some LORs from those you mentioned. I'm past the 180 days, but I'll take your advice on waiting to retake the TBAS again until I get some flight time under my belt.
  7. @jonlbs Thanks for your recommendations. I'll substitute those LORs for something more suitable (i.e. flight instructor, college professor). Slated to start flight school next month. In your opinion should I still rush for units while working towards PPL or wait until I have that under my belt?
  8. Your scores look awesome. Your 201+ numbers will make you pretty competitive. Good luck
  9. Just took my TBAS and got my PCSM. Turns out I only had 10 hours (not sure how I counted that wrong) and with my 98 Pilot I ended up with an 85 PCSM, getting up to 96 at 41 hours, 98 at 61 hours, and 99 at 81 hours. This gives me a pretty good shot, right?
  10. A BAD progression of pushes is not in and of itself a promotion killer, but it certainly affects a mid-grade record. There certainly is a secret decoder ring for all of this: Strats: looking for Strats in your rank, or as you get higher, Strats in your sq/cc title, etc opr push lines: a consistent message of school, sq/CC, and staff pushes is part of the equation. Being pushed for a majcom or NAF staff is not a good thing. HAF is 70% of us. JT staff is top tier. PRF: it needs to match the OPR with those pushes. The verbiage of definitely promote is a message. The check box of definitely promote is obviously the strongest message a strat amongst board eligibles in PRF is also a message.
  11. only winning move is to not play! good luck to those who still put up with the AF/AFPC shenanigans!
  12. To make sure I’m tracking, word on the street is that we must push folks for “Sq/CC” as Majors and if we don’t (and it’s not consistent on their last 2 or 3 OPRs) they will not make Lt Col, regardless of other factors (strats, performance, IDE, etc)?
  13. No "could" about it. If you get a Sq/CC push on one OPR, followed by something less than that, it is a signal to the board that you are in the lower half of the strat pool. Lack of a strat, coupled with a downgrade in job push means you probably won't get promoted. That's your signal to start hitting up guard units or polishing the resume.
  14. Just to ensure we are all talking about the same thing, the question seemed to be if it was possible to both be non-selected for promotion in you IPZ year and at the same time being forced out before your first 1APZ board??
  15. I worked at AFPC and it is very possible. Your SR is given instructions on how to extend (or not extend) continuation. If a SR elects to deny continuation it's seen as an adverse action (no kidding). I forget what justifications need to be made, but I remember calling a passed over Major and pleading with him to do a mea culpa to his SR...the O-4 had stepped on his crank in a colossal manner and didn't fully realize how much he had poisoned the well.
  16. If you or your spouse sew (my wife is a quilter), don’t use a US machine on 50hz. It’ll jack up the timing, even with a transformer. Check the label to make sure it’s 50/60hz before plugging it in.
  17. If you read this in a novel you would give it one star for making it impossible for the reader to suspend disbelief: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28976/italian-cops-raid-neo-fascists-and-find-air-to-air-missile-that-france-had-sold-to-qatar
  18. ATZ though. ATZ non select feedback is different than IPZ feedback and BPZ feedback. Maybe they’ve said it’s to be treated the same as IPZ abut it’s not, no matter their newfound ATZ “intent”.
  19. So the 1/3 DPs ATZ that did not get promoted that I know told me today that the feedback was “inconsistent sq/cc pushes in his record.” FWIW. Push for Sq/CC is a go/no-go. Not sure what his record is but if any of you have inconsistent pushes ala “Sq/CC next” on one OPR and receive a “Groom or monitor” on your next OPR you could be in trouble. Don’t sign that next OPR until you schedule an appt with that rater, addl rater or senior rater. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Yesterday
  21. Question for a doc for the FC1 physical. I thought everything on my medical was fine, it’s due to the wing this week. Except i got a call saying I’ll need a waiver for passive Airsickness that I got back in CSO training. Unfortunately I’m on leave now, and i can’t come In to get checked up on. Everything on my medical except that checked out. I have never heard of this needing a waiver, crazy how a simple airsickness can bite you in the a**** does anyone have any insight or ways to get around this, or do i need to get checked out to really move forward.
  22. Appreciate all the insight! We’re pumped for the assignment.
  23. PCS’d out of Mildenhall 2 years ago. Best assignment of my career! “2” on AFsock’s recommendations. Either store or sell your nice vehicles and buy a beater! The side roads are brutal because they are built on farm/drained marshlands. I bought a reliable 7 year old car for $2K and sold it for the same when I left. If you’re a 135 guy you’ll be busy, but the missions are challenging and rewarding and mostly priority 1 and 2. Over my 4 years I did 4 “deployments” to locations where your family will want to come where you’ll be supporting French ops in AFRICOM. Enjoy! I’d swap places with you in a heartbeat!
  24. To add to what AFSock said, Electronics- We were provided a transformer for US electronics, e.g. kitchen appliances, TV. Found it to be more of a pain than it's worth. Laptops are generally 240 V compatible, but for those items that aren't we found it easier to just buy stuff when that could be plugged directly into the socket. The transformers are bulky, heavy and hum pretty loud. They are not just something you plug into the socket between your item and the electrical grid. They are a small electric sub-station on their own- probably ended up costing us a bit of money to use them as well. Car- Left hand drive is a pain. Harder to navigate roundabouts since you yield to the right you're always looking across the windshield and the front passenger side barrier gets in the way. Plus, the British are anal about auto regulations. There's a good chance you'll have to have exterior lights moved around to meet their specs. Not expensive, but as AFSock said, there are plenty of used cars available from people PCSing out. We paid around 3000 pounds for a used car and pretty much sold it for the same when we left. Also, as mentioned, roads and parking lots are small. And it's fun (for the first few months) to go and open the left hand door only to realize that you are on the wrong side of the car. One other word of advice based on personal experience. Keep a careful on when they are unpacking your items. We had a couple of things go missing even though we saw them get unpacked. The UK was frustrating in many ways, but overall it was a good experience. It's like learning to live all over again since everything seems to be backwards.
  25. Stepped away from this thread for a hot minute, but just wanted to thank the recent posters for all the gouge. I have followed a good amount of it already and will continue to reference it.
  26. PCSd out here in Feb/March. If you're a facebooker look up Mildenhall/Lakenheath Q&A, yard sales, for sale, auto lemon lot etc. lots of info there. 1. Electronics - Look at every electronic device. Somewhere on the power cord, device manual, power brick, or internet you will find a voltage/frequency rating. If it does not show an input within this range, I would consider ditching or storing it unless you really need it: England 230 V 50 Hz (source: GOOGLE) You'll get transformers provided (on base also has dual power) but they're loud, power hungry, and in our case, tripped the current protection in our home everytime we cycled it. We're almost entirely on 230 capable electronics and only had to swap out 1 TV and pick up local lamps/ac machine/fans plus a toaster. Plugs are different and some electronics are even mainland European style which makes for a lot of fun. 2. Phone/Cable - Your phone is probably unlocked. Take a look at 3 or Vodafone sim cards/plans. Prices are ridiculously cheap for unlimited talk/text etc to the point where I used a monthly sim card and a phone with wifi sharing as a router until our internet was up and running. We use express VPN. It works great. 3. Housing - We got here off PCS season but still found plenty of housing that supported a 4 member + 2 cat + 2 car O-4 cap in rural, suburban, and city areas. Every property uses their own realtors (in some cases multiple per property) and some realtors are more DOD experienced/friendly than others. I won't recommend any particular one, to include ours but you can spend days on AHRN getting leads and tracking down relevant realtors also listing the properties. 4. Car - I would advise against bringing the LHD larger vehicle. We've got a RHD Mitsubishi SUV of a similar size and a LHD Mustang. Between hood sliding to escape parking garages gates to fearing toll roads when driving alone it's not a great experience most days. Some dudes and their spouses don't mind keeping one for the local stuff. Roads are also garbage and parking is a nightmare but if you really don't care about the 4 runner go for it (resell will be hard if you don't intend to take it home). You can find comparable models here for $2-6K. 5. Ops Tempo - No real input here. I see a lot of them parked on the ramp all day and can't keep our guys AAR current so they must be doing something... somewhere... hopefully. Feel free to PM as well.
  1. Load more activity