All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. So a Bear counts but not a Badger?
  3. Today
  4. Good scores (all 90s AFOQT, 99 PCSM), older duder (mid-late 20s), well liked by people, been trying to go guard with no luck and AD route is looking more appealing. Don't really give a shit what I fly at this point. PPL, anything is more exciting than a clapped out 172. Need some honest feedback. What if I don't care about queep as that's all I've known in my career working for alphabet soup agencies in the USG? What if I don't care about getting deployed? Asshole managers/supervisors have been the norm for me. Looking for some earnest pros and cons. I'd do just about anything at this point for time away from full time desk flying land under fluorescent lights til my skin is wrinky and my dick doesn't work. -DD
  5. Yesterday
  6. Right there, mostly towards the bottom. Lockheed Martin, L-382-J, Marietta, GA. There is a L-382 listed in there as well, Flight Safety-Tampa, if I remember from reading 5 minutes ago. Interesting interpretation. I have L-382 and L-382J types having only flown military. Maybe the policy has changed to a more restrictive position. It happens. Bottomline #1: Keep track of ALL of your flights & sims. SARMs will never care about you as much as you need them to. Bottomline #2: keep track of ALL of your flights & sims. Rules change. Today’s horizontal head shake may become tomorrow’s head nod. It is far easier to re-create the wheel if you already left a trail of bread crumbs. Best of luck as you start your career!
  7. Exactly. In none of my interviews were there any serious questions about logged time. The only real sim question were the interviewer asking about how we taught in the J, as students did a full IFR qual in the sim. Not sure if that's the still the case. He was an old school herk driver and was curious.
  8. It'll be an interesting and tough call for Israel. Do they gracefully accept the help they received and use the short term international good will to free up a hand to do more damage to Hamas or do they strike back at Iran in a significant and public way to show they won't accept this type of thing? Striking back may be popular and gratifying in Israel but might end up doing more harm than good in the long run. My bet is nothing happens for a while and then some Iranian leader has 'an accident' or one of Iran's centrifuge facilities suffers a mysterious explosion. Something that everyone knows was Israel but no one is really able or willing to prove thus decreasing the chance of escalation while showing that they won't sit by while a country launches a horde at them.
  9. Yup. There's some interesting discussion about using the "holes" in the weights to use AI to discover new things. Basically, the AI uses data to find the most common connections and build answers based on those weights. Reverse it and you can find "answers" that are the opposite... the least common connections. Problem is, how do you filter good things from an infinite supply of "wrong" answers? Anyways, using Udio I finished a full-length song that I think is better than most country music produced today. Enjoy! Crumbs and Chrome Hearts https://www.udio.com/songs/5g1enYTaTmMCYMbrAxzDVi
  10. Your description of a a "hyper sophisticated search engine" is very accurate. I've worked on a bunch of AI things and the annoying part about AI is the assurance that people think it will get to "general" artificial intelligence because it's growing so fast. It's very similar to saying we'll have time travel in the next 10 years because tech is changing so fast. https://www.hup.harvard.edu/books/9780674278660 - "The Myth of Artificial Intelligence" is a good read to understand this subject.
  11. Biden says 'take the win'. Despite it taking the weight of the US and other militaries to knock down the great majority prior to the waves reaching Israeli airspace.
  12. It's getting a bit difficult to keep up with The many new manifestations of artificial intelligence, but if you do there's a new one out for open testing that is fairly astonishing, if or nothing else than for the simplicity of producing something functional. The service is called Udio, and right now you can make a whole bunch of 30-second clips just to play around with the technology. Here is a song clip I created with my standard AI testing subject: a dinosaur that falls in love with a toaster. https://www.udio.com/songs/hveSQTSVkKQ5NnfCUx5Q2s However as I was playing around with this thing, and based on the market action over the past couple years, I'm coming to the conclusion that AI is going to have big and profound social effects on the world (fake news will have a whole new meaning), but I don't think it's going to be the economic game changer everybody is making it out to be, and I think the Nvidia stock is going to be the poster child of this frenzied bubble. That's not to say I think Nvidia is going anywhere, I just think they're going to be the next Cisco of the early dot com bust. This technology is amazing, but even before we get into the inevitable landscape of government regulation, it just doesn't seem to me that it will be capable of creating something new, which is ultimately what produces generational leaps forward in wealth. What we have right now is a hyper sophisticated search engine that can output the results in a wide range of multimodal formats. Anyways, if you have some time put together some songs and share them here, and if people are interested this thread can be a repository for the many different types of AI products that are at least amusing, if not particularly useful.
  13. I haven’t watched it yet, but definitely want to. Balls of steel, all of them.
  14. I just finished watching Master's of the Air. Well done series imho . I look at each and every one of them who brought down an enemy plane with a 50 cal as an ace whether in a P-51 or a ball turret.
  15. I have never heard that Air Force Sims have equivalency, unless those Sims are not actually part of the Air Force. But I also think we are getting off on different paths here. Logging your sim time as sim time is one thing. That's literally what it is. Counting it towards your hours for the purposes of qualifications is an entirely different issue. I have never heard anyone say that Air Force simulators count towards flight hour qualifications, for example, an ATP. Also at American Airlines they did absolutely nothing with my hours. Are you military? Are you breathing? You're hired. I made a single cover sheet with a summary of hours, and handed that over with my Air Force records. I let them do the rest.
  16. Yeah, I was going to say, I don't think any of these guys are running around screaming about them being an ace.
  17. I said I know a lot of guys who have shot down 5x UAVs with no offensive capability. Point is, I could shoot down 5 PRC CMs (or UAVs) tomorrow and save the CSG or Taiwan, and while satisfied with my work, not 0.1% of me would think about ace status. And anyone who said I was I’d tell them to get fucked. And that is how 99% of modern day fighter pilots feel about it. I of course have to account for the 1% super douche who thinks they should stand along side the likes of Dick Bong. Go kill some J-20s, etc. and you’ve earned it. Again, this line of discussion takes zero away from the massively awesome and well executed actions over the last several months (by the way, US fighters have been shooting shit down in the region for over a year, this occurrence is just notable due to the number). Sure, that is something that can actually kill you.
  18. Does a tail gun count as an "active capacity"?
  19. It was more too the room, and given how much I was drinking “shitting on” was probably more strongly worded than intended. More making the point that while TopGun/Airshow demos and the like sell movies and get kids to look up at jets and agree later to sign on the paper, they aren’t what wins the geopolitical war on their own. And while in the eyes of some the Mudhen is barely a fighter or whatever, what they just accomplished was bad ass. As this disposable drone warfare and AI synchronized targeting take over the kinetic I think the chances of that fighter on fighter scenario only decrease. What we saw this weekend is probably more in line with the reality of what we need the DCA and Air Defense players to be able to accomplish. I think I’m far more likely to be hit with that than with some random section of SU-24s getting through to the soft, important, vulnerable parts of our order of battle. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  20. I don’t know if your comment was aimed at me but I think whoever shot down 70+ enemy attack drones within a massive swarm of TBMs and cruise missiles did an amazing job under extremely trying circumstances and definitely earned the title of ace. Apologies if my post was unclear, I was more exploring what the official definition was versus colloquial use of the term. I hope they do a detailed hot wash of all lessons learned (especially C2 and ROE where I I imagine there’s room for improvement) and make the info accessible to others who need it. I’m guessing there will be more of this in the future. Bravo to the team.
  21. For some reason I have a feeling that this event was bit more frenetic than your run of the mill lost link shoot down. I wasn’t there and have no SA on what it was like in the jet so I’m probably off the mark…
  22. Bottom line, those MudHen drivers went to bed with a smile on their face, knowing they did a great job. Plus they garnered the admiration and Thanks of another nation. They will be honored in the future. Nice Job!
  23. Interesting. No offense to you personally, but I have never, and will never trust a single word concerning real world level details I I hear from any staff...because I worked on multiple staffs. As of 2020, the line guys doing sim cert for the C-130J sims at both LRF and BIX disagree with your assessment, seeing it's was possible to gain and maintain currency in the sim. Granted, that USAF checking USAF and the FAA doesn't care. However that was backed up by the FSDO at both Little Rock and Birmingham as I asked them that exact question in person. However, I don't doubt that that they could have been wrong. I've met more than one federal staff expert who knew nothing about C-130J stuff while being responsible for C-130J stuff. Is your work AMC wide or specific to an airframe? Beyond that, I completed and passed eight airline interviews from 2019 to 2021. Sims and sim training came up in three of them and I asked the exact question about sim time counting, and one guy told me that if he saw nothing about sim time in a logbook he saw it as a sign the applicant was either fibbing or lazy. The other guy in that interview agreed and acted as though the other guy had just given away a secret. That's where I come up with my 'log your sim time' advice. It ain't total time, but it is training. It is what it is, but C-130J sims are currently still the best I've ever flow, and I got a different type rating in one FAR worst while training at MIA. I reserve the right to be corrected. What exactly do you do on staff concerning simcert?
  24. I don't think they are crapping on the Mudhen drivers. This was decided in the community long ago and interestingly the Mudhens had a large part in setting that tradition. They have previous experience crushing UAVs and it as I understand, aside from a little bit of coolness factor, it was a non-event int he squadron. Given events in Israel and obviously Ukraine, that standard may change. I believe it was discussed in one of @Steve Davies podcasts.
  25. Vanguard was outstanding, as long as I didn't need anything from a human. I was happy with them for many years, until... My specific experience was needing to move 6 figures out of my brokerage account. It was too much to move online so I had to call. I waited on hold for cumulative hours over several days. I was completely unable to move the money before a deadline. Luckily another party covered for me while I moved the money out in several installments, staying under the online maximums. I talked to others with similar experiences. I already had a good chunk at Fidelity and had never waited more than a couple minutes for a rep, so I bailed on Vanguard. I was probably hasty, but I don't regret it one bit.
  26. Genuinely curious...in what ways? I've just been auto-buying a target date fund and ignoring it, plus a few brokered CDs for the hermit hut fund, so I don't have many interactions with the institution/platform.
  1. Load more activity