T-38 Crash Sheppard AFB (Pilots Ejected Safely)

Infamous

http://www.newschann...ews-unconfirmed

We have just learned the identity of both pilots involved in the plane crash that happened south of Sheppard Air Force Base Friday morning.

Instructor pilot Maj. Christopher Thompson and student pilot German 1st Lt. Julius Dressbach were the ones in the aircraft.

We have confirmed reports from Sheppard Air Force that a T-38 went down around 6:50 a.m. The plane went down near the intersection of Pecanway Drive. and Horton Lane.

Sheppard Air Force Officials said the two pilots both ejected safely. One pilot was taken to United Regional.

One deputy broke his leg while climbing over a tall fence to get to the crash.

The accident investigation is underway.

Stay with Newschannel 6 as we continue to follow this story and bring you the latest details.

http://www.timesreco...ner=yahoo_feeds

WICHITA FALLS — Two pilots from Sheppard Air Force Base's Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program safely ejected Friday morning when their T-38C Talon training aircraft was hit by a bird and crashed south of the base.

Early indications are that both pilots – an instructor and a student – sustained minor injuries. They were taken from the scene in separate ambulances. One was taken to United Regional Health Care System for treatment.

They are identified as instructor pilot Major Christopher Thompson and student pilot German 1st Lt. Julius Dressbach.

The crash happened about 6:48 a.m.

The crash occurred south of Sheppard near Pecanway Drive and Horton Lane. Emergency personnel from the base and Wichita Falls as well as county and city law enforcement officers responded to the scene.

According to a media release from the 82nd Training Wing Public Affairs office, the accident happened at 6:48 a.m.

The last time Sheppard had an aircraft incident was in May 2009 when a T-38C left the runway on takeoff. The two-man crew experience minor injuries from that accident. The most recent fatal aircraft incident was in a little more than a year before the 2009 crash when two ENJJPT pilots – instructor pilot Maj. Brad Funk and student 2nd Lt. Alec Littler – were killed when their T-38 crashed on final approach following a training mission.

ENJJPT is part of the 80th Flying Training Wing and is the world's only internationally run pilot training program. The program trains student pilots from nine NATO countries including Belgium, Turkey, Denmark, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Canada and the United States.

Spain and Greece provide instructor pilots for the program.

The T-38C Talon is the advanced trainer for ENJJPT and the United States Air Force. It first went into service in the Air Force in 1961. It has gone through many upgrades to enhance technologies such as an all-digital instrument panel and streamlined engine intakes.

downsize_t607.jpg

T-38_Plane_Crash_1_t607.jpg

T-38_Plane_Crash_2_t607.jpg

Emergency medical personnel check on the condition of Sheppard Air Force Base pilot Chris Thompson who was unijured when his T-38 training jet experienced a bird strike early Friday morning 2 miles south of the base. A second pilot in the aircraft received a leg injury, according to authorities on the scene. The jet burst into flames when it crashed on the edge of a heavily wooded area south of Pecanway Drive. Both pilots had ejected from the plane. Torin Halsey/Times Record News

Glad they got out alright. :beer:

Edited by Infamous

Gotta give props to the AFE guys. Everytime I hear of guys getting out safe, I stop and thank the guys in our squadron. They don't get enough credit.

2!

I think it also helps the newer AFE guys understand the seriousness of what they do.

Glad everyone is okay. Doesn't MB give out a plaque for successful ejections, or is that just a rumor?

I think they give you or you can purchase a Martin Baker Bremont watch with you ejection seat serial number engraved on it. I remember talking with the T-6 stud that ejected at Laughlin 2 or 3 years ago about it.

Doesn't MB give out a plaque for successful ejections, or is that just a rumor?

Ought to be the other way around. I'd go buy MB a case of scotch if I was one of these two.

Anybody care to bitch about the RCP visibility of the new seat now? Martin baker puts the old seat to shame. Of course we have a built in food processor and rear facing intake that makes the Texan pretty much birdie proof, but the MB setup is great peace of mind on both airframes. One hates to think how the outcome of pre MB -38 ejections would have turned out had they had the good seat.

Glad these two made out ok! Martin baker's saving lives like a coast guard helo in The Guardian lol