Gun Talk

VL-16

I just picked up a new Glock 27 with a set of trijicon night sights for my CCW piece. I think ten rounds of .40 should do the trick for most social encounters. Time to pass the S&W .38 to the Mrs.

Nice choice. I was looking at the Glock 27 last year--felt and shot fairly well, but the S&W M&P40c felt so much better in my hand and shot really well...plus I get that whopping 1 extra round.

What kind of holster are planning to use?

From a bud of mine...

:rock:

Cheers! M2

Wrought iron buttstock? That think must have been heavy as shit. But that's pretty awesome, and now I want one.

ETA: Some videos with more history and them shooting replicas. Pretty awesome.

Edited by Timbonez

Anyone have experience with tactical lookalikes in .22LR? Thoughts/opinions on building proficiency with cheap .22LR?

http://www.americanrifleman.org/GalleryItem.aspx?cid=22&gid=93&id=621

I have on of the original (pre-lawsuit) GSG-5 and it's a jam-o-matic; but a buddy of mine picked up one of those S&W MP15-22s and loves it. I understand the newer AR-based .22s are much better than previous models that I think it was Colt put out.

.22 "tactical" rifles are a blast when they work right, you can rip through tons of ammo and it ends up costing you like ten bucks. There's little recoil and it's great for younger/newer shooters as long as they understand they are still very lethal.

One of these days I plan on taking my GSG to a gunsmith bud of mine to see what he can do, it was a lot of fun to shoot but very frustrating as we couldn't get through a magazine without numerous FTFs/FTEs.

And the fact that they're much cheaper to tear holes in paper with makes them very desirable!

Cheers! M2

Anyone have experience with tactical lookalikes in .22LR? Thoughts/opinions on building proficiency with cheap .22LR?

A buddy of mine has the Sig 522. It's a blast to shoot and has never had an FTF or FTC, even with the cheap stuff. The nice thing about it vs the M&P is the metal construction, but you lose the iron sights.

Or you can buy a real AR (5.56) and just drop in a .22LR bcg and have two guns in one!

http://www.botachtactical.com/cmar22lrcoki.html

Edited by stoleit2x

Nice rifle, but why a PRS on a carbine?

I threw it on there and then forgot to take it off before my TDY enroute. So now I'm stuck at Altus with the wrong stock on it since my M4 stock is in long term storage. But not all is lost since I am saving a little more money and buying a Mk12 Mod 0 upper probably while I am still here.

Mk12Mod0-600x400.jpg

But the handguard would be in FDE not carbon fiber.

Sweet deal. My tax return came in today so I bought a hammer forged 14.5" midlength from Bravo Company tonight. I ordered it with a PWS SM556 permanently attached. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a KAC suppressor, and the SM556 is compatible. I'm also selling my LWRC upper and will just use the lower I had for that on this new BCM upper. Anyway, pics will follow once I get it.

ETA: It looks like you're a BCM whore.

Edited by Timbonez

Sweet deal. My tax return came in today so I bought a hammer forged 14.5" midlength from Bravo Company tonight. I ordered it with a PWS SM556 permanently attached. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a KAC suppressor, and the SM556 is compatible. I'm also selling my LWRC upper and will just use the lower I had for that on this new BCM upper. Anyway, pics will follow once I get it.

ETA: It looks like you're a BCM whore.

Took a Vickers carbine class a few weeks ago with a dude shooting a KAC can. He bitched about how heavy it was compared to his AAC cans. Like 1.5 lbs heavier.

Took a Vickers carbine class a few weeks ago with a dude shooting a KAC can. He bitched about how heavy it was compared to his AAC cans. Like 1.5 lbs heavier.

Which can was he using? The one in question I was looking at is the QDSS-NT4, which is billed at 24oz. The AACs are lighter, but they weigh between 13oz and 18oz, not exactly 1.5lbs lighter. I've only heard good things about the NT4, but to each his own I guess. How did you perceive the performance of the KAC? The other suppressor that the SM556 was made for is the Gemtech HALO, so it's pretty much between those two that I will decide. I'm in no hurry.

How did you like the Vickers class? I actually considered signing up for the KH/LAV 1911 Centennial Celebration, but decided against it. The class is full now anyway. It kind of sucks living where I am right now, in terms of attending a class by any of the major companies/guys. It's either an expensive plane ticket or a long ass drive.

Edited by Timbonez

M2, I am thinking about getting a Mosin Nagant. What should I look for and what are your recommendations? I realize this is a loaded question since there are so many iterations of this rifle, but any information would be helpful. I'm not sure if I want rifle or carbine. Thanks.

ETA: I'm looking for a shooter, so it doesn't have to be perfect. As long as it looks relatively nice and will send lead flying reliably I would be happy.

Edited by Timbonez

M2, I am thinking about getting a Mosin Nagant. What should I look for and what are your recommendations? I realize this is a loaded question since there are so many iterations of this rifle, but any information would be helpful. I'm not sure if I want rifle or carbine. Thanks.

ETA: I'm looking for a shooter, so it doesn't have to be perfect. As long as it looks relatively nice and will send lead flying reliably I would be happy.

T-bonez

You're the second person to ask me that this weekend! For your first Mosin, I'd recommend a "run-of-the-mill" 91/30 which can be had for about a hundred bucks either online or at a show. It should have the usual accouterments...dog-collar sling, bayonet (which will be a pain in the ass to remove it you install it), cleaning kit to include a rusting oiler can and a bolt take down and set up tool, and a double mag pouch.

Then pick up about 100 rounds of 7.62x54R and shoot it a few times. Once you get your shoulder back into its socket, then you'll go to 7.62x54R.net and research all the other variants of Mosins available; at which point you'll send in your C&R 03 FFL paperwork and a check for thirty bucks to the ATF to which a month or so later you'll get your license to have them delivered straight to your doorstep.

At this point, you'll send signed copies (do not sign the original!! :bash:) to a list of online dealers who sell Mosins, and you'll start getting catalogs full of stuff you never knew you wanted and/or needed!

But be warned, there is a serious health condition called "Mosinitis" (Google it) that involves an odd smell of cosmoline and the sudden disappearance of money from your wallet. Tell-tale symptoms include a constant need to watch Enemy At The Gates and a true understanding of this scientific comparison.

Good luck with your decision, and may Ivan have mercy on your soul! :salut:

Cheers! M2

Which can was he using? The one in question I was looking at is the QDSS-NT4, which is billed at 24oz. The AACs are lighter, but they weigh between 13oz and 18oz, not exactly 1.5lbs lighter. I've only heard good things about the NT4, but to each his own I guess. How did you perceive the performance of the KAC? The other suppressor that the SM556 was made for is the Gemtech HALO, so it's pretty much between those two that I will decide. I'm in no hurry.

How did you like the Vickers class? I actually considered signing up for the KH/LAV 1911 Centennial Celebration, but decided against it. The class is full now anyway. It kind of sucks living where I am right now, in terms of attending a class by any of the major companies/guys. It's either an expensive plane ticket or a long ass drive.

I was wrong about the can. He had the QDSS-NT4; he was bitching about it weighing 1.5 lbs total, not 1.5 lbs more. It was a pretty sweet setup overall. I shot a couple suppressed guns there. I really want one now.

I really enjoyed the class and would recommend anyone who owns a gun to get some professional instruction, especially if you ever intend to use it for self defense. You owe it to yourself and those around you. Don't think that just because you've qualified on the M-9 a few times that you know anything about employing a pistol. I signed up for the 1911 class as soon as I got the email.

I completely agree with you, Beaver. When the 1911 class rolls around let me know how it went.

Well, I just bid on a 1929 dragoon converted to a 91/30. It has a hex receiver, non-counterbored barrel, and matching serial numbers. After I asked you for some advice, M2, I asked the wife if I should get a carbine or rifle. She said I should buy her bras and jeans instead. I don't think she realized that the rifle would be cheaper than me buying that shit for her, so I explained it to her and she agreed. She also said I should get one of each. And when I said the M44 had a fold-out bayonet she said I should get that one... so I'm on the lookout for one of those. I'll also probably end up buying her the jeans and bras. Women...

Edited by Timbonez

T-bonez

If you're cleared hot to get "one of each," then jump on it!

Here's a old pic of my Mosin collection from about a year or so ago...

IMG_2549-1.jpg

As I said in my PM I've obtained a few more since then, Mosinitis can be very painful on the wallet!

Cheers! M2